Adobe Flash Player Alternative?

In Windows, I want to be able to skip over the ads that precede Flash videos online. Some videos make you watch two ads now before you can see the content you actually want to see, and the ads are getting longer.

It seems to be analogous to the way commercial DVDs force you to watch the copyright warning before you can start watching a movie - it seems that they just disable the 'fast-forward' button.

I've googled for an alternative. I've heard that Silverlight now plays Flash, but I'm not hopeful that it would let one skip ads.

Gnash, SWF etc are Linux-only (not a problem), but I understand that they are always a couple of versions behind current Flash (a problem). I don't know if they allow you to keep control of your fast-forward button. VLC plays Flash animations, but I can't find a plug-in so that it can stream videos in Firefox. I have no idea whether it allows you to skip ads either, just hoping so.

I'd love a ready-h@cked version of Flash. I'm even prepared to have a go myself, by having a go with resh@cker or something. However I'm not a coder, so I don't know how I'll actually find the section of code that holds the flag that is obviously set/unset so that you can't skip forward.

Anyone have any ideas?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,345
    Forum Member
    Most online video content with ads requires you watch the ads to completion (which are separate from the video) before the video will play, and you can't use any software tricks at your end to circumvent that. These video sites don't get magical free internet bandwidth to deliver their videos to you, they have to pay for it, and that is what the ads are for.

Do what you would do with ads on live TV; grab a snack or drink, go to the toilet, whatever. Attempting to bypass the ads with technology will be detectable at the other end and it will be blocked as the ads are the only way they can continue to operate. If you're out the room when they show the ads, then no one but you knows, so everyone is happy :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PrinceGaz wrote: »
    Do what you would do with ads on live TV; grab a snack or drink, go to the toilet, whatever. Attempting to bypass the ads with technology will be detectable at the other end and it will be blocked as the ads are the only way they can continue to operate. If you're out the room when they show the ads, then no one but you knows, so everyone is happy :)

If they annoy me enough, I would turn the TV over. It's about finding the balance of advertising without annoying the users, yet satisfying the client with exposure. Easier said than done. I don't buy into video advertising all that much anyway. Especially over-the-top annoyance or over-exposure.

I don't watch enough videos online to have a need to bypass this. There might be scripts out there to add to Greasemonkey or Stylish. I don't really know what else to suggest as I only hack my Flash to allow full screen to stick while using dual monitors.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    requires you watch the ads to completion (which are separate from the video) before the video will play, and you can't use any software tricks at your end to circumvent that. These video sites don't get magical free internet bandwidth to deliver their videos to you, they have to pay for it
    What a morally and technically ridiculous lecture. I stated quite clearly that I believe that I believe that the only measure that they actually take is disabling the jump forward button. Do you actually know any different? I don't think you do. In any case, I don't care if the ad is buffered at my end, so long as I don't have to see/hear it.

As my desire is to avoid being exposed to their advertising, it makes no commercial odds whether I fast-forward through their ad, or have gone next door to stick my head in the fridge. The main difference is that my preferred solution saves me time. If the sites can't keep their ads to a reasonable level, believing me to be a captive audience, then I will do my best to show them otherwise.

Maybe you should consider sticking to lobbying.
    Haruhion wrote: »
    I don't watch enough videos online to have a need to bypass this. There might be scripts out there to add to Greasemonkey or Stylish. I don't really know what else to suggest as I only hack my Flash to allow full screen to stick while using dual monitors.
    Thanks for your sensible reply. AFAIK, Stylish can only affect appearance/output, but Greasemonkey might be an idea, as I think Flash can communicate with javascript. Exactly how did you sort out your dual monitor set-up?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most online video content with ads requires you watch the ads to completion (which are separate from the video) before the video will play, and you can't use any software tricks at your end to circumvent that. These video sites don't get magical free internet bandwidth to deliver their videos to you, they have to pay for it, and that is what the ads are for.

I'm completely with you here PrinceGaz. The way I see it, life's about give and take.. you shouldn't expect something for nothing. I'm more than happy to watch a few ads in return for content I want to watch, streamed to me when I want and at no cost to myself.
  • Grand DizzyGrand Dizzy Posts: 7,369
    Forum Member
    I use a certain popular add-on to “ad block” all advertising, and I’ve never seen a single advert on any website since I turned it on. If I had no choice but to look at advertising in order to view a site, I simply wouldn’t use it. I hate advertising.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scumble wrote: »
    Thanks for your sensible reply. AFAIK, Stylish can only affect appearance/output, but Greasemonkey might be an idea, as I think Flash can communicate with javascript. Exactly how did you sort out your dual monitor set-up?

Greasemonkey should work. I used a few scripts with it on YouTube before the filter subscriptions updated for ABP to remove them. I should learn this stuff. Time constraints and too many videos to watch!

For my dual screen, I used xvi32 hex editor to edit NPSWF.dll, searched the value "74 39 83 E8", and changed the "74 39" to "90 90". Of course I had backed up the NPSWF.dll and closed the browser. Flash player keeps asking to update a couple weeks later so I have to do it all again, but it's worth it to watch iPlayer full screen on one window and play a game on the other. :cool:

If interested I found it originally here. It tends to have new information and comments regularly at the bottom when Flash wants to update.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^Excellent explanation, thanks.