Options

Best and worst movie twists/endings

2»

Comments

• Options
    jediknight2k1jediknight2k1 Posts: 6,892
    Forum Member
    Best:

The Life of David Gale. Keeps you guessing to the end and if you haven't it then it's worth watching.

The Sixth Sense. Saw it when it was released at the cinema and still one of favorite movies.

The Others. Nicole Kidman is great throughout the film :)

The Strangers. Liv Tyler is just great and the end is cool.

Too many worse endings to mention :D
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brilliant 'twist' at the end of Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry. Leaves you blinking with shock as the closing credits roll.
  • Options
    AerickAerick Posts: 1,528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "The Game" with Michael Douglas and Sean Penn. My goodness, what a RIDE, and I never expected the ending.
  • Options
    ShadoutShadout Posts: 1,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    boddism wrote: »
    Rather topically.... the ending of the original Planet of the Apes. I first saw it as a teenager (pre Internet spoilers) & the ending sent shivers down my spine.. such a shock!:eek:

Didn't the original movie poster give away the twist?

Anywho, best twist for me is Empire Strikes Back.

The worst would be Shutter Island - I spotted it about 10 minutes into the movie, and the explanation was just utter tripe of the lowest possible order.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    Best has to be either "the Usual Suspects" (bearing in mind I saw it without any knowledge of what the film was even about)....

Worst.... well, not so much the worst, but the most blatantly obvious was "The Sixth Sense" - When it came out in the States (before it came out here) and I heard it was about a kid who sees dead people and it had a shocking twist to the ending, I said "Bruce Willis is dead, I bet you.....". I went to see it on the opening weekend..... Five mins into the movie, I knew I was right

Absolutely agree with everything you just said.
  • Options
    DandemDandem Posts: 13,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The absolute best twist has to be Shutter Island. I loved it. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    Dandem wrote: »
    The absolute best twist has to be Shutter Island. I loved it. :D

I loved the film but guessed the twist about an hour in.

Did you not see it coming?
  • Options
    DandemDandem Posts: 13,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Trickers wrote: »
    I loved the film but guessed the twist about an hour in.

Did you not see it coming?

No. :confused:

I didn't think it was even slightly obvious... :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was quite young when I first watched The Sixth Sense, so it was a shock, but looking back it was fairly obvious.

Saw and Saw II both had brilliant twists, never saw either coming. I can't even remember the other films, but the twists weren't as good.

Psycho is a classic for the twist it had.
  • Options
    soransoran Posts: 1,646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shadout wrote: »
    Didn't the original movie poster give away the twist?

No, that poster is for the DVD release. The original movie poster is this one. :)
  • Options
    fluffedfluffed Posts: 1,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dandem wrote: »
    No. :confused:

I didn't think it was even slightly obvious... :o

Shutter Island twist was obvious from early on if you've seen that genre movie before, the whole film was a bit of homage really. Still, even though if you can see it coming it's still a decent twist, you have moments of doubt, and wonder how x y and z will work itself into the upcoming ending. Then the last line throws in another extra twist for good measure.

Going to add Brazil to the good twist endings list.
  • Options
    Nuartey1Nuartey1 Posts: 2,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    American Psycho has a great ending but most people don't get the twist.
  • Options
    rosco2010rosco2010 Posts: 7,501
    Forum Member
    Saw anyone? That had quite an impressive twist at the end.
  • Options
    rosco2010rosco2010 Posts: 7,501
    Forum Member
    Another good twist ending, although really sad, is The Mist.
  • Options
    johnloonyjohnloony Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    brangdon wrote: »
    A good twist should also lead you to reinterpret what you've already seen. From that point of view, I think The Village is a poor twist. It's mostly about the blind girl, and although I enjoyed that story the twist didn't really add to it.

I guessed the twist in "The Village" early on, because the scene where they were all eating on communal benches reminded me of "Witness". The fact that it was so obvious made me think that it wasn't the "real" twist, and I kept expecting another twist after it had been revealed.
  • Options
    richard craniumrichard cranium Posts: 4,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must be Dyslexic when reading the Language of Film, because I never "get" the twists, even at the friggin' end of the film.

Maybe Primal Fear, I guessed early that Norton was putting it on and was a real baaaaaaad man.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 102
    Forum Member
    Good shout on "The Others" - totally forgot about that film!

I'm normally quite good at seeing endings coming, but I didn't even sniff that one! I guess I was actually more interested in watching the film play out to me in its own time, rather than trying to guess what might happen...
  • Options
    MrMarpleMrMarple Posts: 3,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nuartey1 wrote: »
    American Psycho has a great ending but most people don't get the twist.

What is the twist in this film?
    I took it to be that it was a dream or imagination but I could be wrong.
  • Options
    Paradise_LostParadise_Lost Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    I thought the final twist of The Mist was brutal but in a pleasantly surprising way. I'm not sure what that says about me.
  • Options
    brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MrMarple wrote: »
    What is the twist in this film?
    I took it to be that it was a dream or imagination but I could be wrong.
    Some people think that, but that's not what the writers intended. From [url=From http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0144084/faq]IMDB[/url]:
    And so we really set out, and we failed, and we've acknowledged this to each other, we really set out to make it really clear that he was really killing these people, that this was really happening. What's funny is that I've had endless conversations with people who know that I wrote this script saying "So, me and my friends were arguing, cause I know it was all a dream", or "I know it really happened". And I always tell them, in our minds it really happened. What starts to happen as the movie progresses is that what you're seeing is what's going on in his head. So when he shoots a car and it explodes, even he for a second is like "Huh?" because even he is starting to believe that his perception of reality cannot be right. As he goes more crazy, what you actually see becomes more distorted and harder to figure out, but it's meant to be that he is really killing all these people, it's just that he's probably not as nicely dressed, it probably didn't go as smoothly as he is perceiving it to go, the hookers probably weren't as hot etc etc etc
  • Options
    EELoverEELover Posts: 1,146
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the end of Inglourious Basterds was pretty good:
    Killing Hilter and the rest of the 3rd Reich, ending the war really worked well as the film was so over the top.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    Great twist at the end was Eden Lake ( just watched it again )