Options

how did you learn how to use a computer?

Comments

• Options
    gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    started on a ZX81 in kit form and programming from magazines

http://www.zx81kit.co.uk/zx81kit.html
  • Options
    tanstaafltanstaafl Posts: 22,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I started out using a DEC (paper tape input) and then moved on to an ICL1900 (teleprinter or punched card input). All self-taught with occasional help from more experienced users.In the case of the ICL you could borrow bulky manuals from the computer department (IT hadn't yet been invented) - I even taught myself GEORGE, the operating system language.
  • Options
    Special K_Special K_ Posts: 6,320
    Forum Member
    At school.
  • Options
    QwertyGirl1771QwertyGirl1771 Posts: 4,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having owned a PC since 2005 (and two laptops since), I still don't really know anything about them. I was delighted when I set up the router and got the internet straight away, considering I know nothing. I still know nothing, just how to go on the internet and sent a few emails. Daughter on the otherhand is an absolute maestro.
  • Options
    SandgrownunSandgrownun Posts: 5,024
    Forum Member
    Typing in lines of code from magazines into an Oric and Computing A Level at college with BBC-Bs. Then I used them at work with a proprietary operating system and programming SAS back in the late 80s/early 90s.

When the office first got a few PCs with Windows 3 on them it was a bit a learning curve because none of us had ever used a mouse before and only one person had been on a course, but once I got used to clicking on icons Windows was fairly easy and each new version isn't that much different to the previous one.
  • Options
    IzakIzak Posts: 3,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We got our first PC in February 1996 (I was 9, nearly 10) and my Dad pretty much taught me how to use them, but then as I got more confident, I taught myself things and have since gained a lot of knowledge of computers.

Before we got the PC at home, I occasionally used the Acorn Archimedes and BBCs at school but was hopeless on them. I remember once having to do a task on the computer, the teacher would show the first kid then they would show the second and so on. When it got to me, I didn't even know what I was doing and couldn't even teach the next kid! :o I was only about 8 at the time though.
  • Options
    Chihiro94Chihiro94 Posts: 2,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Something between self-taught/dad teaching me/instinct :D

Theres always been a computer in our house,for as long as I can remeber, and I can't remember ever needing taught, rather just using it. I did get taught stuff in school, but never anything new or difficult.
  • Options
    Dave StentDave Stent Posts: 1,928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was taught at primary school. We were provided with Acorns running on the RISK Operating System.
    At least I think that's what they were called.
  • Options
    bazzaroobazzaroo Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    tOotallE SleF TawT, FerrY prOWd of MeslF!
  • Options
    kochspostulateskochspostulates Posts: 3,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't learn it at school because our lessons were rubbish and all I learnt was to move a turtle on the floor who had a pen on it to make it draw patterns. When I finished school I went on some kind of government sponsored place for teenagers where we got a small grant/ wage in return for learning stuff. There I learned the whole windows thing and Microsoft office.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I taught myself when I was 6 using my dad's old 80s DOS laptop and even managed to teach him something I knew but he didn't :D When I switched from Windows to Mac last year I taught myself that too. OP I don't know if this is of interest to you but the Apple Stores offer workshops and one-to-one classes. Maybe you could go to a store and observe a few sessions and see how they teach people how to use the computer. Even if you're planning on teaching Windows software it might be worthwhile to watch one of those classes in action (either the group workshops or the one-to-ones) just to get an idea.

And BTW I hate the Apple one-to-ones, I'd rather watch Ocean Finance TV while eating glass than do them but that's just me being daft :p *heads off to play music and read the newspaper*
  • Options
    BatchBatch Posts: 3,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    By typing in and debugging program listing from magazines in the 80's. The rest came naturally from self teaching, growing up as PCs became consumer items really helped!
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    In metal work class in the 60s learning to program in Algol 60 on a hand card punch.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    My first computer was some Windows 98 thing, so all I had to do was click stuff. It's really easy to teach yourself how to use a modern computer.

Of course it is. I actually think one of the best ways to learn the computer is by teaching yourself but maybe some people prefer classes. OP good luck with your idea!
  • Options
    MrQuikeMrQuike Posts: 18,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Univac 418 III Mainframes
    IBM Mainframes
    TRS80
    IBM PCs etc to date

Most learning including Office etc done from the books, the helps, other people and suck it and see.
  • Options
    monalisa62003monalisa62003 Posts: 56,955
    Forum Member
    I taught myself when I was 6 using my dad's old 80s DOS laptop and even managed to teach him something I knew but he didn't :D When I switched from Windows to Mac last year I taught myself that too. OP I don't know if this is of interest to you but the Apple Stores offer workshops and one-to-one classes. Maybe you could go to a store and observe a few sessions and see how they teach people how to use the computer. Even if you're planning on teaching Windows software it might be worthwhile to watch one of those classes in action (either the group workshops or the one-to-ones) just to get an idea.

And BTW I hate the Apple one-to-ones, I'd rather watch Ocean Finance TV while eating glass than do them but that's just me being daft :p *heads off to play music and read the newspaper*

are you talking about this ? http://training.apple.com/act

you need experience for it :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    are you talking about this ? http://training.apple.com/act

you need experience for it :(

No it's these: www.apple.com/uk/retail/onetoone or www.apple.com/uk/retail/workshops. They're the classes the stores offer for the general public. As I said just go into the store and observe some of these sessions and make notes on how they teach. And BTW Ocean TV is Sky channel 888 :p I watched it one night and it was painful. The only good thing about it is that it keeps their cringeworthy adverts off normal TV. I hated those commercials!
  • Options
    RuthStarRuthStar Posts: 5,729
    Forum Member
    At School, I've been using PC's/Surfing the internet for anything i've ever wanted to know since the age of 6. I'm about to start my 3rd year of Studying Buisness Studies/Computing at college since its been a passion of mine since a young age.
  • Options
    5th Horseman5th Horseman Posts: 10,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bought a Sinclair ZX81 in 1982 with money earned from picking potatoes and a paper round, learned BASIC programming from books, then Machine Code, progressed on to a ZX Spectrum, a Commodore C64, an Amstrad CPC464 and an Atari ST before PCs. Was in the School Computer club with an Apple IIe and a BBC Micro, did a degree in Electrical Engineering, further learned FORTRAL, COBOL and PASCAL, my first full time job was as a Trainee Programmer developing Satellite Navigation and Positioning software in Microsoft C back in 1990, still in IT 21 years later having travelled the world in various roles, now working as a Product & Project Manager for several applications around the world.
  • Options
    iannaiiannai Posts: 4,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cut my jib on the Mattell Aquarius in 1983 and have owned about every home computer since. Trying to get games to run in 1K of a limited sub set of Microsoft BASIC was the best grounding in programming I could have had I reckon - short of learning machine code, which sadly I never did quite get around to :(
  • Options
    Regis MagnaeRegis Magnae Posts: 6,810
    Forum Member
    Self taught, though seeing as I was about 7/8 when Windows 95 came out I've grown up with it so it's second nature.

Learned to type by typing in cheat code really quickly.
  • Options
    GageGage Posts: 1,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got our first computer in 1999, I pretty much taught myself from opening a word document to installing a game (and the many direct x associated with it!) I then moved on to the hardware side as I was curious what was inside. I did my first upgrade in 2002 in which I added a CD-RW to our machine (this was thanks to the computing course I was doing in college at the time). Over the years I moved on to more technical stuff, even using Linux for network penetration. Now I have a Computer Science Degree and pretty much know the in's and out's of a computer.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My parents both work in IT. Lots of my memories of early childhood are of sitting in labs at my parents' work, spinning round and round on computer chairs and turning broken things off and on again, and being fussed over by nerds with beards and ponytails and curtain hooks for cufflinks. I learned how to use a computer the same way I learned to walk and talk, and at near enough the same time. I can't remember ever not knowing. I'm not into computers like my parents and I wouldn't know what to do with the internal workings of 'em, but I've been able to use a computer on a basic level for as long as I can remember.
  • Options
    monalisa62003monalisa62003 Posts: 56,955
    Forum Member
    No it's these: www.apple.com/uk/retail/onetoone or www.apple.com/uk/retail/workshops. They're the classes the stores offer for the general public. As I said just go into the store and observe some of these sessions and make notes on how they teach. And BTW Ocean TV is Sky channel 888 :p I watched it one night and it was painful. The only good thing about it is that it keeps their cringeworthy adverts off normal TV. I hated those commercials!
    dont think theres anything there suitable for me but thanks :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dont think theres anything there suitable for me but thanks :)

OK I just thought it might have been useful to get ideas on how to run training courses. What about working at an Apple Store teaching one of those classes? Have you ever used a Mac?