Options

Kangaroo Dundee - BBC2 last night

ValentineValentine Posts: 3,853
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Did anyone see this last night??

It's the most remarkable thing I've seen for ages, about a fella that moved from the city to the Outback years ago to set up a rescue place for orphaned baby kangaroos. He become their surrogate mum and hand rears them, feeding them every four hours, carrying them round - like their mum would in her pouch - in a pillow case. The relationship he has with these very timid animals is breathtaking and so moving. And he lives onsite in an old tin shack with virtually nothing.

It's repeated this afternoon. I don't normally watch nature programmes but this had me, and my 11 year old son, gripped. It's so heartwarming but, as with wildlife shows - and why I don't watch them - has it's sad moments too. Can't recommend it enough.

Comments

• Options
    allie4allie4 Posts: 11,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Valentine wrote: »
    Did anyone see this last night??

It's the most remarkable thing I've seen for ages, about a fella that moved from the city to the Outback years ago to set up a rescue place for orphaned baby kangaroos. He become their surrogate mum and hand rears them, feeding them every four hours, carrying them round - like their mum would in her pouch - in a pillow case. The relationship he has with these very timid animals is breathtaking and so moving. And he lives onsite in an old tin shack with virtually nothing.

It's repeated this afternoon. I don't normally watch nature programmes but this had me, and my 11 year old son, gripped. It's so heartwarming but, as with wildlife shows - and why I don't watch them - has it's sad moments too. Can't recommend it enough.
    Agree totally! It was heartwarming and breaking at the same time - and such a change to see a story on TV about someone really worthwhile and fascinating. Amazing guy.
  • Options
    Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    Yup, found it last night flicking channels and absolutely loved it :)
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    It is on Iplayer too. It says Natural World: Kangaroo Dundee pt 1.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't wait for next week's, got to know about Daisy!
  • Options
    ZimzammamZimzammam Posts: 158
    Forum Member
    totally enchanting programme, so hope poor little Daisy is ok.
  • Options
    shearer girlshearer girl Posts: 427
    Forum Member
    Loved this too, what. A Wonderful insight. Amazing bloke too. Hope Daisy survives.
  • Options
    SueGSueG Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree that it was a wonderful programme and I'm looking forward to part 2.
  • Options
    victor melvictor mel Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What time this afternoon on BBC 2 is this on? I can't find it on the listings.
  • Options
    StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    victor mel wrote: »
    What time this afternoon on BBC 2 is this on? I can't find it on the listings.
    6pm....BBC~HD only, that's when I'll be warching it.....

but it's on next Sunday, 3rd Feb on BBC2, at 2:10pm
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Programme of the week without a doubt - So good I delayed watching Borgen for it!

Photography was stunning and you had the queen of voiceover, Barbara Flynn, doing narration. Perfect TV.
  • Options
    PodiumPodium Posts: 457
    Forum Member
    Straker wrote: »
    Programme of the week without a doubt - So good I delayed watching Borgen for it!

Photography was stunning and you had the queen of voiceover, Barbara Flynn, doing narration. Perfect TV.

Excellent programme. Agreed. With great commentary... but it was Juliet Stevenson!
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Podium wrote: »
    Excellent programme. Agreed. With great commentary... but it was Juliet Stevenson!

Really? Vocal twins!
  • Options
    turquoiseblueturquoiseblue Posts: 2,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We watched this and really enjoyed it. It's the first programme I've ever seen about kangaroos, weren't they sweet? I didn't realise.
  • Options
    SentenzaSentenza Posts: 12,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was great him running about trying to avoid the Alpha male attacks was great stuff.

Top man he is and one hell of a hard worker I felt tired just thinking about putting that fence up especially in that heat.
  • Options
    MirageMirage Posts: 39,247
    Forum Member
    Brilliant, just brilliant.
  • Options
    eggplanteggplant Posts: 1,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's possibly mad, certainly obsessed, but the world is a better place for his existence. I also loved the two ladies with their vertical garden and house full of joeys.
    The photography was an extra, stunning clouds and stars.
  • Options
    victor melvictor mel Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes its a great comfort knowing the world has people in it who care so much despite the bad news we hear about everyday.
  • Options
    StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    Sentenza wrote: »
    It was great him running about trying to avoid the Alpha male attacks was great stuff.

Top man he is and one hell of a hard worker I felt tired just thinking about putting that fence up especially in that heat.
    But did he really need to confront Roger.

But apart from that, I really enjoyed this Natural World Doc....part to next week.

They did lay it on thick with the ill Joey at the end.....bet it survives.
  • Options
    StigidStigid Posts: 2,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watch it in HD if you can, it was on BBC HD Sunday night 6pm, On demand later on, possibly from tomorrow (Monday).

Superb picture quality. the first 5 seconds had me hooked.

If you watched it on BBC2, watch it again in HD.

Same for next week too.

Watching it now on SKY+HD, on Freeview HD also.
  • Options
    cal4751cal4751 Posts: 996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a lovely heartwarming programme. That really gripped me. Such dedication, hope Daisy will be O.K.

We need more programmes like this Something the whole family can watch.
  • Options
    Reggie RebelReggie Rebel Posts: 636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great programme, the world needs eccentrics like him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sentenza wrote: »

He's an amazing and completely inspirational man. He might live in a tin hut but he's got the meaning of life all worked out right.
  • Options
    owlloverowllover Posts: 7,980
    Forum Member
    For those who can't get iplayer it's on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0u7e-7AR8A
  • Options
    steviexsteviex Posts: 132,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I finally watched it last night, what a brilliant and heartwarming programme. I can't wait for part 2. :)