Options

Whatever happened to light and shade, subtlety, nuance, "less is more" etc?

cathrincathrin Posts: 4,968
Forum Member
✭✭✭
It breaks my heart to hear beautiful, haunting, gentle songs like A Song For You, being bellowed out at full volume with the melody changed beyond recognition to create constant big moments of drama.

This is the problem with making singing a competitive sport; it's all about making everything huge and loud and powerful, so all the subtlety goes out of the window, and a song that should be performed sensitively and expressively ends up losing all its light and shade. Judging by the audience reactions I realise I'm massively in the minority with this opinion :) ...but still.....Everybody's Gotta Learn Sometime! A Song For You! Aaargh! It's so wrong! :)

(scuttles off to listen to The Corgis and Karen Carpenter's versions of the above to restore emotional equilibrium...) :)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,340
    Forum Member
    I was listening to Roberta Flack's version of The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face before The Voice started tonight. She sang it so simply and beautifully. I can only imagine what she would have sounded like after being coached by Jessie or Will.
  • Options
    CreamPuffCreamPuff Posts: 248
    Forum Member
    Yes, I was thinking pretty much the same thing. Jessie J in particular is forever saying she wants 'more', 'give it more' etc then gives us an example by stretching out notes unnecessarily. There seems to be little room for understated, subtle performances. Big booming voices seem terribly dated to me nowadays.
  • Options
    LaChatteGitaneLaChatteGitane Posts: 4,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Couldn't agree more with all three of you.
    It bores me stiff to hear every note, every word stretched and stretched till there is no elasticity left.
  • Options
    my name is joemy name is joe Posts: 4,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    those things died when someone decreed that melodrama = soulful

It doesn't.
  • Options
    WhyHelloWorldWhyHelloWorld Posts: 15,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Alys did well with 'light and shade' tonight.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    those things died when someone decreed that melodrama = soulful

It doesn't.

or melisma even..its nice but sometimes its just not needed
  • Options
    Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I didn't really like her version. It's a beautid ful song and I hardly recognised it after she put her 'twist' on it.
  • Options
    jeff_vaderjeff_vader Posts: 938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, I wish sometimes they would just pick classic simple songs, and just sing them (without all the frills and trills, thank you). I think Alys came closest to that tonight.
  • Options
    jerefprdterrajerefprdterra Posts: 30,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some of the acts have good voices, but its just ruined because they seem to have to sing as loud as they can. I guess they must be told to do it that way, but it does'nt work, and sounds dreadful.
  • Options
    MonaoggMonaogg Posts: 19,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't really like her version. It's a beautid ful song and I hardly recognised it after she put her 'twist' on it.
    Agree. Alys turned the song into an unrecognisable and unintelligible mess for me.

Whilst Joseph over-sang everything at least you could hear the words and it showed his range.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    I hate the singers that wail out notes and are forever trying to show of their range.

For me : Tone >>>>>> Range

Unfortunately, most singers in the voice are like this.
  • Options
    blowupblowup Posts: 1,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cathrin wrote: »
    It breaks my heart to hear beautiful, haunting, gentle songs like A Song For You, being bellowed out at full volume with the melody changed beyond recognition to create constant big moments of drama.

This is the problem with making singing a competitive sport; it's all about making everything huge and loud and powerful, so all the subtlety goes out of the window, and a song that should be performed sensitively and expressively ends up losing all its light and shade. Judging by the audience reactions I realise I'm massively in the minority with this opinion :) ...but still.....Everybody's Gotta Learn Sometime! A Song For You! Aaargh! It's so wrong! :)

(scuttles off to listen to The Corgis and Karen Carpenter's versions of the above to restore emotional equilibrium...) :)

This annoys me on all singing shows... you can't even tell if they can sing because they don't sing the usual notes.... they sing around the notes so basically anything goes and it all sounds the same.

Another example being Leah's Loving You - at the end she just squeaked out a few notes that went nowhere and weren't the 'proper' note (sorry i'm not a singer). essentially she strung together some notes that meant nothing and showed no skill. Same with Jordan and his falsetto - they is not skill is just squeaking out any old note.

Does anyone remember Rebecca Ferguson? She was the worst for singing around a melody.

It's a get out for being flat and out of tune. I would rather hear the original melody and if you are going to change it, change it for the better, don't just over sing it.
  • Options
    fireemblemcrazefireemblemcraze Posts: 7,436
    Forum Member
    JindleBrey wrote: »
    I hate the singers that wail out notes and are forever trying to show of their range.

For me : Tone >>>>>> Range

Unfortunately, most singers in the voice are like this.

No way for me, Range is way more important than Tone. Range makes a song really interesting. But I hate it when singers overplay it and go from high to low really quickly throughout the entire piece...I prefer when the artist themselves is enjoying the notes too and holding them on so we can enjoy them. A bit of vibrato doesn't hurt either.
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cathrin wrote: »

I agree, the whole process defies the idea. We are trying to find "The Voice" and yet we hardly get to hear the contestants. Thus far they have had probably had less than ten minutes singing time each. And even then a four minute song is bracketed into a two minute slot where the singer is presumably trying to make their name but ends up just trying to screech louder than anyone else. Songs end up being butchered and murdered-if that's possible. Last night was a mess imo.
    Its a good idea at heart but still needs much work to even start living up to its grand title.
    Also is it me or could the backing music be better?
  • Options
    lotty27lotty27 Posts: 17,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am so pleased to see this thread, thank you OP! :)

Couldn't agree more with the above posts. They don't just sing something anymore but have to do all the ridiculous vocal gymnastics, screeching, screaming or just generally shouting. It's awful.

I blame Mariah Carey and Christina Aguilera :mad::D
  • Options
    SliverOfDiamondSliverOfDiamond Posts: 1,465
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't watch last night, I take it it turned into the same screechy mess it did last year?

There doesn't seem to be one person who sings, they just seem to be yelling an approximation to the known tune. :(
  • Options
    SliverOfDiamondSliverOfDiamond Posts: 1,465
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No way for me, Range is way more important than Tone. Range makes a song really interesting. But I hate it when singers overplay it and go from high to low really quickly throughout the entire piece...I prefer when the artist themselves is enjoying the notes too and holding them on so we can enjoy them. A bit of vibrato doesn't hurt either.

If there is no tone, the range doesn't matter it's squawking low to high like a parrot. Tone is what makes a voice sound good by giving it depth and richness, it's what makes them individual.
  • Options
    johartukjohartuk Posts: 11,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really wish they'd encourage the contestants not to gallop around the stage, randomly screech (to demonstrate that they can sing that high), sing 20 notes when 3 will do and bellow at ear-bleeding decibel levels!

I'd love to see contestants singing songs with real understanding of the lyrics and conveying that to the audience. At the moment, they might as well be singing the listings in their local phone book for all the emotional connection we're seeing!
  • Options
    cathrincathrin Posts: 4,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aaargh! Tonight it's even worse. Why do they all insist on singing a totally unrecognisable tune, all at full volume, with numerous twiddles and screeches that have absolutely no place in the song? It's painful.
  • Options
    alan29alan29 Posts: 34,641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can only assume the audience applause etc is sarcastic.
  • Options
    johartukjohartuk Posts: 11,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Leah was singing a completely different tune - why bother singing I Will Survive if she isn't going to sing the correct tune? She might as well have sung a different song.:rolleyes:
  • Options
    sonicginandtonisonicginandtoni Posts: 616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, Holly's speaking voice clearly didn't get the memo :(
  • Options
    JennylooJennyloo Posts: 14,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So did Cleo. I never did like shouty, screaming singers.
    By contrast Joseph didnt have the range in the song he sang, It was far too simple for his voice.
  • Options
    muzungumuzungu Posts: 343
    Forum Member
    Jennyloo wrote: »
    So did Cleo. I never did like shouty, screaming singers.
    By contrast Joseph didnt have the range in the song he sang, It was far too simple for his voice.

Agreed, the song didn't show off his vocal ability and I thought Matt's song didn't do justice to what he can do soul-wise.
  • Options
    CapablancaCapablanca Posts: 5,130
    Forum Member
    lotty27 wrote: »
    I am so pleased to see this thread, thank you OP! :)

Couldn't agree more with the above posts. They don't just sing something anymore but have to do all the ridiculous vocal gymnastics, screeching, screaming or just generally shouting. It's awful.

I blame Mariah Carey and Christina Aguilera :mad::D

Legendary soul producer Jerry Wexler coined this vocal nonsense 'oversouling'.