Irish BB fans - Is Hazel typical of a 'D4'

D*****D***** Posts: 3,584
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Firstly, to include everyone else. 'D4' refers to a an affluent Dublin postcode. To be a 'D4' you don't have to come from there but someone who subscribes to the lifestyle. A 'D4' person has a particular type of accent and vocabulary that might not be distinguishable to the British ear. Type of clothes, lifestyle, etc... very clearly mark a 'D4' out to another Dubliner and you will go to a private school if you are one, which Hazel has done. We'll call the phenomenon of the 'D4' a by-product of Ireland's Celtic tiger. The 'D4' phenomenon has translated into a series of books and comedic pee-takes.

So my question is to every Irish person here? Is Hazel typical of a 2013 'D4'? Narcissistic, self obsessed, cheap and dare I say tarty?We maybe get Irish representation every couple of series. We are a small country but what has kept us going has been the wit of people like Brian and Ray and class and dignity from people like Anna. Other housemates like Spiral and Noirin were muppets but harmless.

I really wanted to support Hazel because I know where she's from, know her background, etc... and now I'm pretty ashamed that she is representing Ireland like this. I know it's just a coincidence that she is Irish and any nationality can have their fools but I feel let down a bit. I am not a rose tinted sort of person when it comes to Irish people, but I thought we were better than that.

Comments

• Saskia44Saskia44 Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D***** wrote: »
    Firstly, to include everyone else. 'D4' refers to a an affluent Dublin postcode. To be a 'D4' you don't have to come from there but someone who subscribes to the lifestyle. A 'D4' person has a particular type of accent and vocabulary that might not be distinguishable to the British ear. Type of clothes, lifestyle, etc... very clearly mark a 'D4' out to another Dubliner and you will go to a private school if you are one, which Hazel has done. We'll call the phenomenon of the 'D4' a by-product of Ireland's Celtic tiger. The 'D4' phenomenon has translated into a series of books and comedic pee-takes.

So my question is to every Irish person here? Is Hazel typical of a 2013 'D4'? Narcissistic, self obsessed, cheap and dare I say tarty?We maybe get Irish representation every couple of series. We are a small country but what has kept us going has been the wit of people like Brian and Ray and class and dignity from people like Anna. Other housemates like Spiral and Noirin were muppets but harmless.

I really wanted to support Hazel because I know where she's from, know her background, etc... and now I'm pretty ashamed that she is representing Ireland like this. I know it's just a coincidence that she is Irish and any nationality can have their fools but I feel let down a bit. I am not a rose tinted sort of person when it comes to Irish people, but I thought we were better than that.

This thread sounds promising - but is it about the bigger picture or just practicing double standards and judging women differently from men?

Personally I have no problem with anyone disapproving of her behaviour if they can honestly say they would do exactly the same if it was a bloke - but if they start with the 'it is different' nonsense - what a waste.
  • titfortattitfortat Posts: 9,126
    Forum Member
    Ohhh so Hazel is posh Irish lass. How do you know she went to private school no that there is anything wrong with that.
  • Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

She is representing nobody but herself. She's not on the Eurovision Song contest now is she.;) In my opinion her personality and the way she conducts herself has little or no bearing on her nationality..D4 or otherwise. Oh and for what it's worth she is no more D4 than Spoiral was.:D besides the prototype of the D4 person you outline is indicative of a lot of young heavily made up wanabee girls, irrespective of where they originate in Dublin.
  • patsylimerickpatsylimerick Posts: 22,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a Corkonian myself - but with a sister and family firmly ensconsed in the D4 mentality (I can't understand my niece at all, she speaks at about 95 mph) I don't think that cheap and tarty is something I would associate with it at all - to be honest.

I think Hazel is ruthlessly ambitious and has no qualms about using her assets to make money. Where I admire her is her honesty about it. In that much discussed VT she said that she would stir things up and use what she has to get what she wants. She said she would manipulate the situation. What she DIDN'T say was 'I am evil inside' - no matter how many times Gina tries to spin it otherwise. Also, it was very telling when the newspaper headlines were done and they had made out that she was something that she was not; this completely baffled her because she is exactly what she says she is - unlike, for instance, Gina and Dexter. Nobody seems to know what the hell they are, what they do, how wealthy they are or are not etc. etc.

What I don't like is making moves on a guy who's spoken for. I find her lack of subtletly cringe-inducing. It's overkill. But I have NO problem with flirting. I think the criticism Noirin and Keeva got was beyond ridiculous in this regard.

There were a couple of threads I intentionally stayed out of in recent days but I'll comment on their content now. There was one pointing to the fact that Hazel was from a different country; so they may interact differently. I actually think there's a good point in that. For instance, when I lived in London I was gobsmacked stupid at the fact that the same people I got on the train with every morning got on the train with each other every morning and never said a word to each other. Not a smile, a comment about the weather - nothing, no eye contact. We are more open in Ireland, there's no doubt about that. I also think flirty behaviour is not inherently seen as something bad in Ireland - not at the Noirin/Keeva level; but definitely at the Hazel level. She's taken it way too far.

Also, someone else asked last night if she was mixed race :D She's not. Noirin obviously was and Georgia is half Greek but Keeva and Hazel would be fairly run of the mill looks wise in Ireland. There's a darker Irish look that's associated with the West coast and some rather flirty behaviour going back quite a few generations that has brought about this almost mediteranean featured strain. My own brother is the stamp of Phil Lynott and we're all fairly dark.

Finally, I think Hazel is smart and I think it's a pity she didn't channel her education in another direction. But it's her life and it's her choice and at least she's honest about it. I like honesty. I don't like fakes. I want Hazel to leave on Friday night because she's achieved all she wanted to and her staying will just lead to Gina poisoning the public more towards her, rather like Josie did with Keeva.
  • momoriromomoriro Posts: 2,678
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hazel does not represent Ireland in any shape or form she is an individual in her own right and is representing only herself.
    The question is ridiculous , does Wolfy represent all English women are they all fat and deluded and spit everywhere?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm Irish but I would state clearly that Hazel is'nt representing anyone other than herself. "D4's" are largely a myth but those that do 'exist' are no different to the pitiful array of "wannabees" that contest BB every year, regardless of where they come from. Hazel likes to pretend that she is upwardly mobile and refined but she will get her knockers out like a shot if Nuts Magazine offer her £50k.

(Which they will...)
  • paralaxparalax Posts: 12,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hazel is just a fame hungry woman using the only thing she can to get publicity, and she would do that no matter where she came from. She'll be happy to work at the seedy end of things so long as she makes money.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Actually there is something about Hazel. Obviously people change their real character sometimes when going on BB, which is up to them, even if they can't explain or understand (Callum) why they've done it, BUT...it's surely meant to help them,.

Maybe I have been particularly lucky but I've never met anyone Irish who has bored me. Hazel starts the eye thing, the lip thing, the 'hug me!' thing...and I start wishing I was watching a recording so I could fast-forward.

That said, Daley is no less exciting. As he blinks gormlessly at whoever is speaking to him, and starts preparing to cope with a conversation, one simple fact emerges. Daley and Hazel, perfectly matched. :D
  • EYEBALL95EYEBALL95 Posts: 551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Soo,Hazel is classed as "posh" in ireland?
  • john176bramleyjohn176bramley Posts: 25,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So what does D4 stand for, is it a postcode?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So what does D4 stand for, is it a postcode?

I would HIGHLY recommend the Ross O'Carroll Kelly books for a glimpse into the D4 mentality.

D4 is literally a postcode in Dublin but it's been hijacked (think Chelsea or Essex) to portray a stereotypical entitled young person with a midlantic (half Irish half California) accent. Jedward kind of have the D4 accent. Hazel doesn't. Hazel has a bog standard middle class Dublin accent.

I don't think Hazel is a good embodiment of D4 at all. They play rugby, go to private schools and Trinity or UCD, they're professional. It's just a pisstake of the former Celtic Tiger cubs who had lots of money. And no, it's not considered 'posh' at all. It's a snobby categorisation of the nouveau riche.
  • Dorkus_Dorkus_ Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought she was from Wexford?

But if you're talking about her aspiring to the D4 mentality, the D4 look isn't as trashy as Hazel's but personality-wise, stereotypically, they'd be a little bit more up themselves. Her silly decisions aside, I think Hazel is quite a likable girl.
  • TalullahmayTalullahmay Posts: 5,962
    Forum Member

I don't know anything about this D4 apart from what you have just explained!
    I think it's very sad that a young women is being talked about like this & all because she has flirted with some guy..Why are you ashamed of Hazel? I don't get that? are you ashamed of Daley? if not why not? isn't he the one in a relationship? isn't Hazel a free agent? & can do as she pleases! Is Daley being dragged screaming & kicking to some den where Hazel can work her magic? No I think you will find daley is enjoying every minute of this! I can't even believe people are taking this so serious! We are all human being's & have feeling's we need to be held & loved it's how the human race evolves!
    Daley & Hazel are both playing this for their own ends what ever they may be! The only person I feel for is his girlfriend who need's to wash that guy right out of her hair:D:o
  • workhorseworkhorse Posts: 2,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D***** you really don't like her ,judging by your name calling.
  • An ThropologistAn Thropologist Posts: 39,844
    Forum Member
    I would HIGHLY recommend the Ross O'Carroll Kelly books for a glimpse into the D4 mentality.

D4 is literally a postcode in Dublin but it's been hijacked (think Chelsea or Essex) to portray a stereotypical entitled young person with a midlantic (half Irish half California) accent. Jedward kind of have the D4 accent. Hazel doesn't. Hazel has a bog standard middle class Dublin accent.

I don't think Hazel is a good embodiment of D4 at all. They play rugby, go to private schools and Trinity or UCD, they're professional. It's just a pisstake of the former Celtic Tiger cubs who had lots of money. And no, it's not considered 'posh' at all. It's a snobby categorisation of the nouveau riche.

So am I right in concluding that D4 is more of a social or media shorthand for characterising a group? A bit like we might describe someone as a Sloane or a Chav? It seems to be more like this that being an academic style socioeconomic taxonomy ( such as A, B C1, C2 etc)
  • An ThropologistAn Thropologist Posts: 39,844
    Forum Member
    I don't know anything about this D4 apart from what you have just explained!
    I think it's very sad that a young women is being talked about like this & all because she has flirted with some guy..Why are you ashamed of Hazel? I don't get that? are you ashamed of Daley? if not why not? isn't he the one in a relationship? isn't Hazel a free agent? & can do as she pleases! Is Daley being dragged screaming & kicking to some den where Hazel can work her magic? No I think you will find daley is enjoying every minute of this! I can't even believe people are taking this so serious! We are all human being's & have feeling's we need to be held & loved it's how the human race evolves!
    Daley & Hazel are both playing this for their own ends what ever they may be! The only person I feel for is his girlfriend who need's to wash that guy right out of her hair:D:o

:D:D And send him on his way! Altogether now
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So am I right in concluding that D4 is more of a social or media shorthand for characterising a group? A bit like we might describe someone as a Sloane or a Chav? It seems to be more like this that being an academic style socioeconomic taxonomy ( such as A, B C1, C2 etc)

Absolutely right - Sloane would be a good comparison, I think (from the little I know of it). I think maybe some of the original youngsters who adopted this accent were from the D4 area and then it spread and is just used as an affectionately derogatory term. 'God that's some D4 accent on him', sort of a thing. Or someone moves to Dublin to go to college and starts changing how they speak, dress etc and you'll get 'she's gone all D4 on us'.
  • TalullahmayTalullahmay Posts: 5,962
    Forum Member
    :D:D And send him on his way! Altogether now

Glad it wasn't totally wasted:D:D
  • PaacePaace Posts: 14,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As a Corkonian myself - but with a sister and family firmly ensconsed in the D4 mentality (I can't understand my niece at all, she speaks at about 95 mph) I don't think that cheap and tarty is something I would associate with it at all - to be honest.

I think Hazel is ruthlessly ambitious and has no qualms about using her assets to make money. Where I admire her is her honesty about it. In that much discussed VT she said that she would stir things up and use what she has to get what she wants. She said she would manipulate the situation. What she DIDN'T say was 'I am evil inside' - no matter how many times Gina tries to spin it otherwise. Also, it was very telling when the newspaper headlines were done and they had made out that she was something that she was not; this completely baffled her because she is exactly what she says she is - unlike, for instance, Gina and Dexter. Nobody seems to know what the hell they are, what they do, how wealthy they are or are not etc. etc.

What I don't like is making moves on a guy who's spoken for. I find her lack of subtletly cringe-inducing. It's overkill. But I have NO problem with flirting. I think the criticism Noirin and Keeva got was beyond ridiculous in this regard.

There were a couple of threads I intentionally stayed out of in recent days but I'll comment on their content now. There was one pointing to the fact that Hazel was from a different country; so they may interact differently. I actually think there's a good point in that. For instance, when I lived in London I was gobsmacked stupid at the fact that the same people I got on the train with every morning got on the train with each other every morning and never said a word to each other. Not a smile, a comment about the weather - nothing, no eye contact. We are more open in Ireland, there's no doubt about that. I also think flirty behaviour is not inherently seen as something bad in Ireland - not at the Noirin/Keeva level; but definitely at the Hazel level. She's taken it way too far.

Also, someone else asked last night if she was mixed race :D She's not. Noirin obviously was and Georgia is half Greek but Keeva and Hazel would be fairly run of the mill looks wise in Ireland. There's a darker Irish look that's associated with the West coast and some rather flirty behaviour going back quite a few generations that has brought about this almost mediteranean featured strain. My own brother is the stamp of Phil Lynott and we're all fairly dark.

Finally, I think Hazel is smart and I think it's a pity she didn't channel her education in another direction. But it's her life and it's her choice and at least she's honest about it. I like honesty. I don't like fakes. I want Hazel to leave on Friday night because she's achieved all she wanted to and her staying will just lead to Gina poisoning the public more towards her, rather like Josie did with Keeva.

What a good post . I wonder does Hazel know the full story of Daley and his girlfriend . If she does believe he has a g/f but still pursues her OTT flirting, I mean that jumping up on him with legs firmly around his waist was cringemaking, then she's nothing more then a brazen hussy .
  • riverside 57riverside 57 Posts: 14,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

D4 is nowadays what a "yuppie" was in the late 80s/early 90s, and Hazel is not it! She is a normal sounding fairly well educated young girl, who unfortunately is not using her education well imo, but she is not representative of my country, just representative of most wannabes who go on BB, so to answer the OP, no, I am not ashamed of her, no more than I am of anyone else! I don't particularly like her, but neither do I like Wolfy or Gina, all for different reasons, but the one thing they do have in common is they are all self serving and unlikeable to me. Simple!