Options

What things or activities should be cheaper in price?

2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Housing a young couple in the 60's could afford to buy a home even if they both had pretty low paying jobs, now if you both work in Asda you have almost no chance unless you nail 70 hours a week each.

Bottled Water - when I can buy 1.5 litres of coke for 60p or a litre of bottled water for £1.30 something somewhere is wrong!

Tuna - have we had a cod war or something ? has no one else noticed that tins of tuna have gone up by about 40p a can in the last three months ? - I have as my cat eats it every day.
  • Options
    quatroquatro Posts: 2,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Coffee, in coffee shops. On a pension I rarely fork out the £3+ for a cup of coffee or £6+ if I'm treating someone. That's not including the prices of the cakes and pastries in them - I don't even think about having one of those which are about 3 times the price of the ones in the bakery next door!

I fail to see how the ingredients of a cup of coffee warrant the cost - yes I know its all about paying staff wages and rent and rates. But I would go into these places more if the coffees were cheaper.
    I'm often amazed to see how many coffee houses there are, and how many people are in these places and for hours at a time.

It's a pleasure I have to do without, with so much to pull out for re: household bills and upkeep.
  • Options
    rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watcher #1 wrote: »
    Crickey, where do you go? I can get a family of 5 to see a film for that :eek:

Train tickets are the one for me - it should cost less to make a long journey by train than it does to drive, even factoring VED , servicing and insurance (I reckon that's about £5 a day for me) and petrol.

The Odeon in Brighton. I went to see Tinker, Tailor Soldier, Spy with my Dad for that price. The girl behind the desk was very pleasant and she asked my Dad if he had loyalty card. He did not and the girl explained to him you get free tickets after so many visits. So he, retorted 'well, for this price, I think I will.'

Railway tickets are the extortion of the country. All day saver tickets where I live are high in price at £4.60. and that is too expensive.
    Hogzilla wrote: »
    This. And cinema tickets as OP says. If it was £2.50, they'd be packed.

I am pretty sure I went to see Jurassic Park with my Auntie and the price was slightly more expensive than that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jra wrote: »
    Rail tickets would be one thing.

Public transport in general is just stupidly expensive. They keep telling people to use public transport and that there are too many cars on the road, well what do you expect when its so bloody expensive?? Every time I go to the Continent I am so surprised at how cheap it is to use public transport, why can't we do that??????

Cinema to, I love going to see a film on the big screen but its so much money! Right now its treat and I go every once in a blue moon. This is why piracy is so high.
  • Options
    mike_dunnmike_dunn Posts: 374
    Forum Member
    Miss XYZ wrote: »
    My sons climbing sessions he goes to each week at the local leisure centre. £12 a time.

Can't he climb a wall, tree or fence instead for free? :confused::D
  • Options
    mike_dunnmike_dunn Posts: 374
    Forum Member
    Alcohol. Our local offie and corner shop have both put the price of all single cans up frm £1 to £1.20 today. :mad: They say they've gone up in price for 24 packs at the wholesalers. How can an Englishman get drunk when that happens and pubs are so expensive?:rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rfonzo wrote: »
    The Odeon in Brighton. I went to see Tinker, Tailor Soldier, Spy with my Dad for that price. The girl behind the desk was very pleasant and she asked my Dad if he had loyalty card. He did not and the girl explained to him you get free tickets after so many visits. So he, retorted 'well, for this price, I think I will.'

I went to see tinker tailor soldier spy at the cinema with my dad to, luckily i really enjoyed it and it had a superb cast. However not only was it a heck of a lot of money I also had to cope with a long and arduous lecture on the way home about how the tv series was so much better :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    Dont know if this is true or not but when i was at college we went on a media studies trip to the cinema to learn about film production, how films get made, how they are delivered to cinemas and how they work. (Obviously more than that but ive forgotten exactly!).

The manager of the cinema addressed the price issue and said that they make zero profit from showing the films, they make it from sweets and drinks.

That might be because it isnt a chain of cinemas, just a small old local one. Apparently thats why they dont like people bringing in their own sweets because it costs them money then.

Im not quite sure how that works then, usless they know the usual audience numbers so know the ticket cost covers the cost of showing the films.