Options

Question about TVs with built-in USB recording/PVR function

cathrincathrin Posts: 4,968
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hello,

I do all my recording on a TVonics DTR-Z500HD 500GB PVR, which is fantastic. The one thing missing is the ability to store recordings on an external hard drive or USB stick. At the moment, when there's something I need to keep, I record DVDs (using a Panasonic DVD recorder a couple of years old). But, weirdly, I find watching DVDs I've recorded makes me dizzy. (I know it sounds bizarre. :) I can only assume it's something to do with the way the DVD's video files are converted or upscaled that sends my vision haywire. It's definitely not psychological; I can happily watch recordings on the Tvonics PVR for literally hours without any dizziness, but I only have to watch a few seconds of a self-recorded DVD and I'm immediately feeling really wonky and peculiar!) Pre-recorded DVDs are no problem.

...So, I'm giving up on DVD recordings, and I need another method of keeping favourite recordings for posterity. Ideally I want something that will save the files in the same sort of format as the Tvonics uses, as at least I know that doesn't make me dizzy! :). (I'm only interested in recording SD shows, not HD).

I've recently noticed that TVs seem to be starting to feature "USB Instant Record" or "PVR function via USB". I'm interested to hear people's experiences of this? Are there any quality issues; do the recordings come out as well as the source, and what format do they tend to be saved in? Are the files only playable on the TV that records them?

Many thanks in advance for any advice offered. (Also, on a side note, if anyone can provide an explanation for DVD Recording Dizziness Syndrome, I'd be fascinated to hear any views!) :)

Comments

• Options
    grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The recordings are locked to the TV that recorded the content.

Recordings are identical to the original content. In common with all pvrs the digital broadcast data stream is copied as is to the storage device.

Recording from your pvr to a dvd recorder involves multiple conversions.

The pvr de-compresses the mpeg encoded data stored on the hard disk to a 25fps analogue format Uses a (DAC - Digital Analogue Converter) . Your DVDR takes the analogue video and audio data and converts it to a digital stream. The box then has to recompress the data using a real time mpeg encoder back to a format that can be stored on the hard disk.

Some pvrs like the Humax HDR2000T can export the original data to a usb drive. Copies made in this way are identical to the original broadcast. The mpeg transport stream files produced can be played back on many items or burnt to a DVD on a PC using DVD authoring software (DVDFlick is free).

The best software isn't free - VideoRedo TVSuite can edit out ads and create multi title DVD's with a proper menu structure. (There is a free trial period)
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pretty much every device that records Freeview to a hard drive records the raw data off the multiplex. Basically it means that the recording is an exact copy of the transmitted data so in theory should be identical whether you watch the programme live or the recording as the same data is being thrown at the same circuitry to decode and display it on screen.

Which means that, in theory at least, what gets recorded onto a hard drive plugged into the back of a telly is identical to what gets recorded onto the hard drive of your TVonics, (or any other PVR for that matter).

The major issues you are likely to come across with a TV hard drive system is that many TVs lock the recordings to the specific TV that made them, they can't be replayed on any other TV even an identical make and model. Which could be a deal breaker when you upgrade the TV.

And unless the TV has dual tuners you can only record the programme you are watching. So not exactly a full substitute for a "proper" PVR.

Some PVRs such as the Humax HDR Fox-T2 that I have can copy recordings to external USB ddrives. Though you have to watch out for things like encryption that prevents recordings playing back on other devices. Though in the case of the Humax at least there are ways round that.

And I won't mention that storing TV recordings for repeated viewing is (currently at least) illegal :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Many thanks for the responses, that's really helpful. The Humax sounds interesting.

So it sounds like the TVs that have this feature restrict the recordings to playback on the original TV. That's a pain; imagine if you built up loads of recordings and the TV suddenly went on the blink!

Thanks for the info re DVD recording too. I should have clarified that the Panasonic DVD is recording directly from the TV via HDMI using the DVD record's own Guide (in other words, the PVR isn't involved in the recording.) That's why it seems so strange that the recordings are having a funny effect on my eyes. Although I guess there's still some converting involved even when recording directly from TV to DVD.

I'll have a look at the Humax....althoughif I've understood correctly, even that restricts playback to the machine the recordings originated from?

Thanks again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cathrin wrote: »
    Many thanks for the responses, that's really helpful. The Humax sounds interesting.

So it sounds like the TVs that have this feature restrict the recordings to playback on the original TV. That's a pain; imagine if you built up loads of recordings and the TV suddenly went on the blink!
    That is pretty much the situation. Plus the restriction on maybe only being able to to record what you are watching. Not really a full PVR function but useful for pausing live TV if you get an interuption while watching your favourite soap or whatever :)
    Thanks for the info re DVD recording too. I should have clarified that the Panasonic DVD is recording directly from the TV via HDMI using the DVD record's own Guide (in other words, the PVR isn't involved in the recording.) That's why it seems so strange that the recordings are having a funny effect on my eyes. Although I guess there's still some converting involved even when recording directly from TV to DVD.
    The Panasonic most definitely is not recording from the TV via HDMI. It is using it's own built in tuner and recording from the aerial. HDMI is unidirectional, ie signals flow from the recorder to the TV only. The TV is simply being used to display the images generated by the recorder. The recorder would still function perfectly normally if you unplugged the telly and chucked it out of the window. Just a bit hard to see what you are doing. :D

If the recorder has a hard disk then it will record to that in the same way as the TVonics. However if you record to a DVD disk it needs to convert the broadcast stream to a format compatible with DVD Video. Which should not introduce any strange effects though might degrade the image quality. Especially if you use a "long play" mode to get more than a couple of hours recording per disk.
    I'll have a look at the Humax....althoughif I've understood correctly, even that restricts playback to the machine the recordings originated from?

Thanks again.
    The HDR Fox-T2 is on it's way to being obsolete now. The HDR2000 is the current model. Though you might be able to find a few Fox-T2s still around. Not sure about lifting recordings off the 2000. I believe it is similar but not 100% certain on that.

With the Fox-T2 SD recordings are unencrypted and in theory can be played back on other devices. The HD recordings are, as standard, encrypted and restricted to playback on the machine that recorded them. Though you can find solutions to that.
  • Options
    anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is no commercial incentive to let you build a library of recordings from free to air sources, quite the reverse. PVRs are sold for time shifting, nothing else.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    The Panasonic most definitely is not recording from the TV via HDMI. It is using it's own built in tuner and recording from the aerial. HDMI is unidirectional, ie signals flow from the recorder to the TV only. The TV is simply being used to display the images generated by the recorder. The recorder would still function perfectly normally if you unplugged the telly and chucked it out of the window. Just a bit hard to see what you are doing. :D

Thanks Chris and yes, sorry, I was talking gibberish for a while there and confused meself even further! :) Yes, as you rightly say, the Panasonic DVD recorder is recording via its own tuner, and the HDMI connection is only involved in the playback.

Thanks for the other replies too, everyone. I hadn't realised there were such strict rules about keeping recordings from PVRs. I guess it makes sense, but then again, for years manufacturers have been producing DVD recorders (and before that, VHS recorders). But anyway, I see what you mean about the USB recordings being only meant for the machine they were recorded on. Thanks again to all who took the trouble to reply, I appreciate all the information.

Still totally mystified by the DVD dizziness though! :) I guess some mysteries just never get solved! :)
  • Options
    steveOooosteveOooo Posts: 5,002
    Forum Member
    There is no commercial incentive to let you build a library of recordings from free to air sources, quite the reverse. PVRs are sold for time shifting, nothing else.

Might also explain why many broadcasters do not put a numeric value for the episode number ie 's1/e12'

Rather, just the episode name - so you have to google the ep name to see which season it is etc... And whether you should series link.

Avoid the humax DTR t1000 - so unreliable, I'm experimenting with the samsung f7000 and a m3 2tb samsung USB HDD while I watch some recordngs before sending the POS back to Humax for a refurb, so far:

Negs

HD breakup (despite 100/100 signal strength / quality)
    Constant schedule recording notifications (you can't turn off) you also get a 'play / go to browser' message AFTER the recording!
    Many Recordings seem to 'fail to play' in the library.
    Time shift on live tv only happens if u press play or pause.
    U can record one channel only, not record two channels and say watch a recording.
    Library management - series linked stuff is not grouped in a folder - with a 2tb, you'll have one. Big mess on our hands
    You can't search the epg

Positives:
    USB is quite
    No extra remote
    Epg is fast
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steveOooo wrote: »
    I'm experimenting with the samsung f7000 and a m3 2tb samsung USB HDD while I watch some recordngs before sending the POS back to Humax for a refurb, so far:

Negs

Positives:
    A HDD connected to a tv is not a substitute for a pvr, it's just a supposed 'feature' to sell a tv which is only useful if you are out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steveOooo wrote: »
    HD breakup (despite 100/100 signal strength / quality)

That could be too much signal. Which is almost as bad as too little. If the signal strength is very high it can cause overloading of the first stages of the tuner circuitry. This can cause all sorts of nasties corrupting reception.

A simple test to see if this is the case is to insert an attenuator into the aerial feed. If that cures the problem then leave it in. Or if there is an amplifier in the chain somewhere try bypassing it which has much the same effect as an attenuator.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why don't you buy a cheap USB TV dongle for your PC then use that to record programmes.

You could then save them on the PC or burn to DVD or put them on a USB stick or portable hard drive.

I've done this before with windows media centre on windows 7.
  • Options
    steveOooosteveOooo Posts: 5,002
    Forum Member
    chrisjr wrote: »
    That could be too much signal. Which is almost as bad as too little. If the signal strength is very high it can cause overloading of the first stages of the tuner circuitry. This can cause all sorts of nasties corrupting reception.

A simple test to see if this is the case is to insert an attenuator into the aerial feed. If that cures the problem then leave it in. Or if there is an amplifier in the chain somewhere try bypassing it which has much the same effect as an attenuator.

It's fine now - must have been a software update that fixed it.

Though, still get the annoying recording notifications before, during and after a recording - having to physically press 'back' on the remote to get rid of them. When watching amazon prime via te smart hub, it produces a lovely green/ blue overlay to the image.

Samsung - please add a 'disable PVR notifications' or just 'no notifications at all' option ffs