Options

Just had a call from BT (BT Sport TV)

supersleuthsupersleuth Posts: 470
Forum Member
Can someone help me.

I had a cold call from someone climbing to be from BT.
They started saying I needed to renew my BT broadband in order to continue with my BT Sport TV submission (which I get free with BT Broadband).

I gave no information, and have never had to do this before.
Is it likely to have been a genuine call?
Has anyone else received these calls?

Comments

• Options
    coopermanyorkscoopermanyorks Posts: 21,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is your BB due for renewal ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    No idea.
    ive had it with bt for years and have never been asked to re-new before
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your broadband is probably auto renewing on the basis that you haven't actively tried to cancel it.

There is this from BT which right down at the bottom does mention they will be contacting Broadband customers to renew.

http://sport.bt.com/sportfootball/football/bt-sport-to-remain-free-with-bt-broadband-S11363897619644?s_intcid=con_BTcomHP

Doesn't say how (eg phone, e-mail, carrier pigeon, two baked bean cans and a bit of string) they are going to contact customers though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks......yip, this sounds like the one.\

Sneaky...it appears that letting your contract automatically renew will remove you from the free BT Sport package and you will have to pay £6.75 a month, but manually renewing it will keep the channels for free.

I can see some bad publicity on this one heading to BT
  • Options
    BKMBKM Posts: 6,912
    Forum Member
    No idea.
    ive had it with bt for years and have never been asked to re-new before
    When your first take out BT Broadband it is for a minimum term - now 18 months but it was 12 months for ages. After that you are free to cancel and move to another ISP without warning and at any time.

This is still true EXCEPT that to keep free BT Sport you now need to agree to keep BT Broadband for the next 12 months.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    T
    Sneaky...it appears that letting your contract automatically renew will remove you from the free BT Sport package and you will have to pay £6.75 a month, but manually renewing it will keep the channels for free.
    Your contract does NOT "automatically renew" - it carries on for ever (in principle) until you cancel it after the initial term.

The only change is that - to keep free BT Sport - you do need to agree that you will not cancel Broadband within the next 12 months!
  • Options
    coopermanyorkscoopermanyorks Posts: 21,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Press 1471 , it will give you the phone they called from,then google that phone number to decide if it was BT
  • Options
    Forum Member
    BKM wrote: »
    Your contract does NOT "automatically renew" - it carries on for ever (in principle) until you cancel it after the initial term.

The only change is that - to keep free BT Sport - you do need to agree that you will not cancel Broadband within the next 12 months!

Thanks, that makes it clearer in my mind.

Thanks for the help everyone :)
  • Options
    4chords4chords Posts: 343
    Forum Member
    My mother-in-law also had one of these phone calls today. She was told that if she did not renew and therefore continued her broadband and phone out of contract, she would have to start paying for the BT sport channels. Is this correct?
  • Options
    Colin_LondonColin_London Posts: 12,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sounds right - you only get free BT Sport if you are within a 12 month minimum term. Everyone agreed to this when signing up to it initially. Now, nearly 12 months later, they are phoning to remind that you need to agree another 12 month minimum term to continue to get it for free.
  • Options
    JulesandSandJulesandSand Posts: 6,012
    Forum Member
    I actually phoned them up to cancel BT sport as I hardly watch it and was thinking of switching my fibre service to Plus Net and ended up re-contracting for 12 months at a reduced price.

Two days later I also got the phone call asking me to re-contract to continue to get BT Sport for free.

I'm guessing the call centre is in Newcastle as, on each occasion, the agent had a Geordie accent.
  • Options
    tony-wtony-w Posts: 487
    Forum Member

I am sorry but that is incorrect, BT have amended the terms,
    When my contract ended in September last year I was charged full price for BB, I was at the time getting a discount on a 12 month contract (£15 for BB iirc)
    When the contract end date passed BT started charging me the full price of £23 and I was only made aware of this when I received my next bill.
    Upon calling them they told me that this is now policy as I had not agreed to a new contract (before it would simply roll-over at the same price)
    I agreed to a new contract on the phone, they sent out the paperwork and I was refunded the difference on my next bill
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a call a couple of weeks ago, still in an 18 month contract, with another 7 months to go. If I wanted to continue with free BT Sports I had to renew my contract for another 12 months, I asked if I would be on the same terms and was told yes, which is good because I am already on a discount, so I said yes. Are they going to be charging for HD as this never came up in the conversation so I assumed it would come under same terms.
  • Options
    tony-wtony-w Posts: 487
    Forum Member
    I am not a BT sport customer, But I would personally ring them again for peace of mind, I also always DEMAND anything they claim on the phone to be sent in writing before agreeing to any renewal or 'deal' they offer on the phone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dearmrman wrote: »
    Are they going to be charging for HD as this never came up in the conversation so I assumed it would come under same terms.
    The WILL be charging for HD for everyone after those who got it free for the first 12months reach the end of their free period.
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The WILL be charging for HD for everyone after those who got it free for the first 12months reach the end of their free period.

If that is the case then, I will phone them to say I want to go back to my original contract (made a note and time of the person who called to say I would be on the same deal) and that I will not be renewing with them..I can get a better deal with moving to VM as it is included in the XL pack once my contract expires.

I know it's only a small charge, but they should be treating their own customers better than VM.