Norton Internet Security

I have Norton Internet Security 2005 installed on my computer and I now want to get rid for a new Internet Security.

I have done the usual gone to add and remove and remove the program..
Well I thought I had, when I put the new disc in, all it kept saying was:
Can not install as Norton Internet Security is Installed go to Add and Remove to move this, I did this but there was no Norton to remove??.
I then did a search and found some Norton still on, so I deleted it.
Again when I put the disc in it said Norton Antivirus is installed go to Add and Remove to move this. Again I did as this said but there was no Norton in there to remove?????
Again I did a search for Antivirus, found some and removed it. I then turned my computer off.
Turned the computer back on, put the new disc in, again it said Norton Internet Security is installed, go to Add and Remove. Went there but there is no Norton in there!!! :mad:

Am stuck as to what to do now, am not very well up on computers. :confused:

Anyone know what I should do??. :o:o
Any help will be very much appreciated, thanks in advance

Comments

• CruachanCruachan Posts: 7,211
    Forum Member
    Go to the Norton website and download the "Norton Uninstall" tool. Seems that is what is nedeed to completely uninstall the product.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    I work for an ISP and the amounts of times Norton has completely blocked internet connections is amazing. People have been calling technical support helplines to try and sort the connection problems out, blaming the ISP and then wanting to cancel.

They get asked to temporarily uninstall Norton and it won't go from the system. As soon as they completely uninstall Norton their connection works fine.

What kind of product fully blocks access without a user doing anything? Strange. :confused:
  • The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tinydi wrote: »
    I have Norton Internet Security 2005 installed on my computer

No need to read further really boys and girls is there :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I work for an ISP and the amounts of times Norton has completely blocked internet connections is amazing. People have been calling technical support helplines to try and sort the connection problems out, blaming the ISP and then wanting to cancel.

They get asked to temporarily uninstall Norton and it won't go from the system. As soon as they completely uninstall Norton their connection works fine.

What kind of product fully blocks access without a user doing anything? Strange. :confused:

What ISP is that? Just that from what I hear ISP's go through India. How far does a caller need to go to get through to an english person? And after going through so much to get to you, is the best you can do is tell them to uninstall nortons? As they could of logged on here or any other web site to find that out:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    Alcdrew wrote: »
    What ISP is that? Just that from what I hear ISP's go through India. How far does a caller need to go to get through to an english person? And after going through so much to get to you, is the best you can do is tell them to uninstall nortons? As they could of logged on here or any other web site to find that out:D

I'm sure they could have logged onto a website to find that out... when Norton has blocked their connection for no apparent reason ;)

No one tells them to uninstall firewalls, because they're not allowed to. It's advised to change it or uninstall it if the problem started after it was installed or updated but most people who call helplines are pretty hopeless so automatically blame the ISP for any PC problem they have. I don't deal with customers directly, but I have been doing a few call backs when others can't get it solved, and quite a few have been Norton problems. I usually just advise them to get something else :p

Norton is for people who fall for sales pitches, it seems. I don't many people with a bit of computer sense who think Norton is a good thing.

Incidentally, does anyone know why Norton does that? Seemingly just blocks everything even when the user hasn't done anything? I'd be curious to know.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I spoke to my mate yesterday, and her IT bloke in her company reccomends norton HELLO
  • 555555 Posts: 4,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cardbus wrote: »
    I spoke to my mate yesterday, and her IT bloke in her company reccomends norton HELLO

I will back up Carmen Queasy here. I know about 10 IT engineers, and have from time to time discussed this product. We all think it's a piece of sh*t.
  • Rob500Rob500 Posts: 3,944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I got a virus in March, my computing teacher at college blamed the AV I was using (AOL AVS back then) and told me to 'invest in Norton'.

He was sacked two months later for reasons unknown :rolleyes:
  • OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmmm every man and his dog is an IT Expert these days so I'm not surprised some of them recommend Norton, they probably also recommend The Tech Guys and Tiscali.

;)
  • Rob500Rob500 Posts: 3,944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmmm every man and his dog is an IT Expert these days so I'm not surprised some of them recommend Norton, they probably also recommend The Tech Guys and Tiscali.

;)

Why the hell would anyone use The Tech Guys? :confused:
  • ForestChavForestChav Posts: 35,127
    Forum Member
    Rob500 wrote: »
    Why the hell would anyone use The Tech Guys? :confused:

They're not that bad, it depends on who you contact. There are some who know what they're doing and some who wouldn't know the base unit from the modem.

Your teacher was a tool. AVS was essentially KIS - way superior to norton insecurity....