Tivo coming to Virgin UK

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,565
Forum Member
Note for admin: Putting this here for benefit of all the usa people who recently found this forum.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/virgin-media-selects-tivo-for-next-generation-tv-platform-72852687.html

TiVo Inc. (Nasdaq: TIVO), a leader in the creation of television services and advertising solutions for digital video recorders (DVRs), and Virgin Media Inc. (Nasdaq: VMED; LSE: VMED), the UK's leading entertainment and communications company, today announced they have entered into a strategic partnership under which TiVo will develop Virgin Media's next generation TV platform. Under the mutually exclusive agreement, TiVo will develop a converged television and broadband interactive interface to power Virgin Media's next generation, high definition set top boxes. The terms of the deal are not disclosed.

TiVo will become the exclusive provider of middleware and user interface software for Virgin Media's next generation set top boxes. Virgin Media will become the exclusive distributor of TiVo services and technology in the United Kingdom.

Comments

• InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can still remember when ntl (the old name for Virgin Media) told customers that if they wanted a hard disk recorder they should buy a Tivo!
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Tivo didn't live very long in this country last time round.
  • stateofgameplaystateofgameplay Posts: 3,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But unlike last time, there will be dual tuners and they will work with Virgin to produce the box. Tivo launched here far too early for the market last time.

Last time round it was a single tuner HDD recorder without the ability to record something that you didn't want to watch, especially with cable or Sky.

Thats the problem with closed platforms for you.
    Tivo on Virgin Media, and a combined Dual Tuner Tivo + Freeview box for people who aren't in cabled areas would be much more successful.
  • Stiffy78Stiffy78 Posts: 26,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But unlike last time, there will be dual tuners and they will work with Virgin to produce the box. Tivo launched here far too early for the market last time.

Last time round it was a single tuner HDD recorder without the ability to record something that you didn't want to watch, especially with cable or Sky.

Thats the problem with closed platforms for you.
    Tivo on Virgin Media, and a combined Dual Tuner Tivo + Freeview box for people who aren't in cabled areas would be much more successful.

Doesn't the current V+ have three tuners? Isn't that a backwards step?
  • mikerrmikerr Posts: 29
    Forum Member
    It'll be using the current hardware, so 3 tuners.

Just with much better software than any other PVR (if you've used a tivo you'll know what I mean).

The current V+ supports the TiVo software as an over the air upgrade (the hardware is the same as a TiVo cable box in the US).
  • Jodie98Jodie98 Posts: 96
    Forum Member

I'm sure that's due to the fact SKY were the providers of TIVO and they had their own Sky+ plans in place so it was almost as if TIVO was killed off by them.

It was so hard to part with my TIVO after having it for a few years. I've never seen a system like it since. Some people used to comment on how intrusive they thought TIVO was as it used to almost THINK for you and record shows similar was regularly watched. Many a good show was viewed with this feature alone.

I also loved how if I was in a Rob De Niro movie mood, I could simply type his name in and it would list all the movies or shows he was in at the touch of a button. Oh just thinking about the machine, I'm falling in love with it all over again lol

I'm now thrilled that I stuck with Virgin Media and cancelled my Sky+HD package. TIVO is coming to Virgin :):):)
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    daveetwo wrote: »
    Note for admin: Putting this here for benefit of all the usa people who recently found this forum.

[/B]

Given that there was already a thread about this - how does thread duplication help "usa people"?
  • davisadavisa Posts: 698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's still alive, certainly my TiVo is :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,565
    Forum Member
    TheBigM wrote: »
    Given that there was already a thread about this - how does thread duplication help "usa people"?

I posted it in general discussion where there was a big influx of americans in recent days.
    It was that forum which they came to see digital spy and they mostly came from a tivo forum elsewhere.
    Just trying to be helpfull so try not to knock it too much.
    I relied on admin to make a judgement and they did which was fair enough.
    if you havent been to general forum in the last week you would not have been aware of course so im not knocking you iether.
  • carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,699
    Forum Member
    Nine year and still going. It's not quite dead yet ;)
  • frightleverfrightlever Posts: 1,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mikerr wrote: »

Just with much better software than any other PVR (if you've used a tivo you'll know what I mean).

The current V+ supports the TiVo software as an over the air upgrade (the hardware is the same as a TiVo cable box in the US).

I loved my TIVO and am all over a VM compatible version, but the Topfield freeview boxes with the MyStuff TAP have most of what the old TIVO did, except the recommendations and with far more configuration options. I have a V+ side by side with a Topfield 5810 and do 90% of my viewing on the Topfield because it's so much more pleasant to use.

But for an out of the box solution with no tinkering, TIVO has to be great news.
  • PudpullerTMPudpullerTM Posts: 1,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mikerr wrote: »

Are you sure they will be using existing hardware.
    from the press release it sounds like they will be upgrading it.
    ie the move to IPTV and Next generation HD services.
    Can the existing box run IPTV