Virgin Media and TiVo Team Up!! (Merged)

grabbigrabbi Posts: 5,428
Forum Member
Major news, this, if you ask me.

Given the reputation that TiVo have in the States, and the way their equipment flawlessly works compared to Virgin stuff, one can only assume that this will push VM services to a whole new level and reliability.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/virgin-media-selects-tivo-for-next-generation-tv-platform-72852687.html

Comments

• BenMcr77BenMcr77 Posts: 6,573
    Forum Member
    Next year too

Virgin Media currently anticipates its first TiVo co-branded product in 2010
  • grabbigrabbi Posts: 5,428
    Forum Member
    So that would mean new boxes next year, then? Or will TiVo roll out some sort of firmware to the current V+ and Samsung V+ boxes?

Glad I still have my SA V+ Box. Once TiVo come in and tweak things with a new box, Ill make sure I end up with one of them.

Edit: According to some, TiVo have also implemented some Broadband features in their recent firmwares, such as the ability to watch YouTube Videos through the STB. Thats pretty smart stuff, and it makes you wonder why other companies, like Virgin and Sky, havent implemented similar features into their retrospective offerings.

I think this partnership has the potential to give Virgin that boost to become a serious contender to Sky in ways never seen before.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 42
    Forum Member
    Wow this is such good news.
    I miss TiVo so much.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 42
    Forum Member
    Wow this is such good news.
    Bring back TiVo.
  • TechnixTechnix Posts: 2,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is great news, finally the end of Liberate middleware which IMO has stunted the growth of cable TV.
  • grabbigrabbi Posts: 5,428
    Forum Member
    This is Middleware?? I wonder what Highware is like, then. :p
  • Daveoc64Daveoc64 Posts: 15,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Technix wrote: »
    This is great news, finally the end of Liberate middleware which IMO has stunted the growth of cable TV.

Not necessarily.

The way they've put Tivo on devices in the US is less about re-doing the middleware and more about just copying and pasting the right "look" and features over.

This should still be very good for Virgin Media, as their software REALLY needs to be improved.
  • ShawnaShawna Posts: 569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Daveoc64 wrote: »
    Not necessarily.

The way they've put Tivo on devices in the US is less about re-doing the middleware and more about just copying and pasting the right "look" and features over.
    "Tivo will become the exclusive middleware and user interface provider on its [Virgin Media's] next generation set top box platform. Virgin subscribers will use the TiVo interface to access what we think will be the UK's most advanced television service package including a variety of broadband to the TV features.

In fact, our market leadership in the development of a seamlessly integrated broadband and linear TV experience was a critical factor in virgin's decision to partner with Tivo.

TiVo will be supplying the complete software stack on Virgin set top boxes which we believe is a more efficient approach to development than some of the more cumbersome architectures used by other operators and keeps with our strategy to avoid engagement that could potentially tie us up in lengthy development projects without near term deployment opportunity.

Lastly, this deal also marks the first time Tivo will be providing the interface not just for DVR platforms but for traditional next generation set top boxes without DVR capability as well. This expanded role further underscores the ongoing evolution of TiVo's technology, from the best DVR interface to the worlds leading provider of software for advanced television services that seek to unify linear, broadband and on demand content."

TiVo Earnings Conference Call
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009
    This should still be very good for Virgin Media, as their software REALLY needs to be improved.
    But very bad new for Sky who equally need to improve their limited bug-ridden software.
    Forum Member
    You wanted a new EPG, you are going to get a new EPG lol
  • Alien28Alien28 Posts: 1,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This can only be good news for VM customers and potential VM customers! My main gripe with VM TV has always been their crappy software/EPG they have running on their slow systems.

Will this mean new another new box? Didn't they not long start offering new boxes this year? Presumably, TiVo will update the existing boxes too?
  • justjaxjustjax Posts: 937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OMG, this is amazing news. I had a TiVo for about 6 years and finally caved and got Sky+ last year (merely to get the ability to record more than one channel at a time). That box was (in terms of design) about 6-7 years old, yet still had a better/cleaner UI and was more flexible than Sky+ is today. This is absolutely great news for Virgin customers. I'll definately be considering a move to Virgin next year.
  • TAZMANUKTAZMANUK Posts: 1,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Neve had a tivo but heard much great features on this, does anyone know if the software can be put on the old boxes though ie virgin v+ boxes if not what cost would this come to the customer? as many of us have bought the v+ rather than renting it per month!

and i have 2 canot afford to pay for another upgrade
  • Daveoc64Daveoc64 Posts: 15,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In theory it can be put on old boxes, but whether or not they will is entirely up to Virgin Media.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Daveoc64 wrote: »
    Not necessarily.

It's not really a new look UI I'm looking forward to but the TiVo features it will bring.
    Forum Member
    TAZMANUK wrote: »
    as many of us have bought the v+ rather than renting it per month!
    No matter what you may have paid for the V+, it is still rented from VM
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TAZMANUK wrote: »
    Neve had a tivo but heard much great features on this, does anyone know if the software can be put on the old boxes though ie virgin v+ boxes if not what cost would this come to the customer? as many of us have bought the v+ rather than renting it per month!

and i have 2 canot afford to pay for another upgrade

From Financial Times:
    The focus on providing middleware and on-screen software “reflects the fact that the real magic we do increasingly relates to the software and the user interface capabilities,” he added.

...Virgin Media said it would continue to work with Samsung and Scientific-Atlanta for set top box hardware. Neither company would give details of the “next generation platform” they plan to release next year, but said it would offer “major advances in video-on-demand integration and broadband video delivery.”

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/8c08d41c-d952-11de-b2d5-00144feabdc0.html
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 207
    Forum Member
    It's about time, I've been saying this for years since the software that has been with ex-ntl, vm wasn't the best piece of codebase ever written.

Just wish cable wouldn't take years to actually sort something out though, needs to have a much faster turnaround for this sort of thing.
    Forum Member
    Faster than next year?!
  • Joel's dadJoel's dad Posts: 4,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see this as a positive step in the right direction, even though I know little about TIVO's current status.

I hope this is a goodd move anyways!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,503
    Forum Member
    Great news if everything we hear about Tivo is correct. Should be better than what we have now.

Wonder what this is going to be? Fingers crossed for it to replace the current box software. Some of the things said makes it look like a whole new platform - so wondering if that will be a replacement or a new product.
  • russellellyrussellelly Posts: 11,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow, that's genuinely exciting news. I hope VM TiVo supports the features that the current US TiVo's do, and that they'll use TiVo's EPG. I'd be seriously tempted to sign up for one if it lives up to what it could be.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    best news ever - still using my Tivo after nearly 10 years - mode 0 and a decnet upscaling TV still looks good.
  • deeseedeesee Posts: 855
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great news, tivo are going to make the next generation pvr for virgin, i have had a tivo since 2000, and it has been trouble free all that time, and it has far better software than any sky or virgin pvr, great news.:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Without wishing to put downer on things, this makes me think of the times when Lotus are working with companies like Kia !!!

Just because TIVO are writing the software etc, does mean we will have a TIVO like PVR. I would love to have one though ;)