setting reminders on TIVO

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 686
Forum Member
✭✭
Could someone please tell me how to set a programme reminder using the peanut shaped remote :confused:

Comments

• Martin1Martin1 Posts: 8,322
    Forum Member
    krell wrote: »
    Could someone please tell me how to set a programme reminder using the peanut shaped remote :confused:
    You can't. Virgin Media are working on it
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    martine93 wrote: »

Cheers martine.
  • carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,695
    Forum Member
    krell wrote: »
    Just set it to record instead. It's better than a reminder ;)
  • gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Knew someone would post that, and was probably about a 90% chance it would be you Carl.....well done.

Not only do I want a reminder, I want it to auto change channel too.
  • dannylaudannylau Posts: 926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gillyallan wrote: »
    Knew someone would post that, and was probably about a 90% chance it would be you Carl.....well done.

Not only do I want a reminder, I want it to auto change channel too.

Do you want it to watch it for you as well then auto delete it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dannylau wrote: »
    Do you want it to watch it for you as well then auto delete it?

Stop being an arse.

Just cause some of you cant understand how folk who watch live tv would like it to work.

Imagine, this scenario..

Waiting on a Live footy match coming on in say 40 mins. Set a reminder to auto change at that time. Now switch to music channel and listen to some tunes while I tidy house/make dinner, etc. I'll hear the switch over and can finish up what I'm doing and pop back in to see the Live game. Used to do this with V+ all the time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stop being an arse.

Just cause some of you cant understand how folk who watch live tv would like it to work.

Imagine, this scenario..

Waiting on a Live footy match coming on in say 40 mins. Set a reminder to auto change at that time. Now switch to music channel and listen to some tunes while I tidy house/make dinner, etc. I'll hear the switch over and can finish up what I'm doing and pop back in to see the Live game. Used to do this with V+ all the time.

Imagine this scenario! Setting a simple alarm for 35 minutes time rather than having a TV and TiVo box powered up waiting for a game to start in 40 minutes!

Frankly with soring energy prices I am surprised anybody can afford to waste electricity in this day and age!
  • timpotimpo Posts: 1,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Frankly with soring energy prices I am surprised anybody can afford to waste electricity in this day and age!

You really think that it costs that much to power up?
  • Stuart PStuart P Posts: 949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just set it to record instead. It's better than a reminder ;)
    good work carl :yawn:
  • dannylaudannylau Posts: 926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stop being an arse.

Imagine, this scenario..

strangely If I'm going to watch a football match live I know when it's going to kick off, I don't need to be reminded
  • timpotimpo Posts: 1,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    strangely If I'm going to watch a football match live I know when it's going to kick off, I don't need to be reminded

Spot on............:p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

ahh maybe you dont have other things to do and can sit about waiting on it starting. Apparently the tivo uses practically the same amount of electricity in standby as out of it anyway. My TV is off and playing the sound from my theatre system.

Not sure why folk on here cant accept we all like to do things differently. There are things other folk like and I dont but I never feel the need to be the defender of VM day and night.

What is wrong with it being an option ??
  • porkpieporkpie Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess anyone who can't keep an eye on the time would find it more useful for a reminder although why you can't set it to record then just watch it a few minutes behind and catchup at an ad break is a mystery.
    If you put Tivo on the channel where the broadcast is you'll not miss it and if all you are doing it watching something else until it starts why is it so hard to keep an eye on the time?
  • Stuart PStuart P Posts: 949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    porkpie wrote: »
    If you put Tivo on the channel where the broadcast is you'll not miss it
    the whole point of the reminder is that the box changes the channel automatically for you so you don't have to!

reminder apps are everywhere on phones, tablets and laptops. people find them useful. apple just released ios5 with guess what? a reminder app as standard.

the majority of households in the uk watch a ton of tv each and every day. so why the negative, sarcastic backlash against having them feature on a device that is used in conjunction with that tv?
  • nobabydaddynobabydaddy Posts: 2,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ahh maybe you dont have other things to do and can sit about waiting on it starting. Apparently the tivo uses practically the same amount of electricity in standby as out of it anyway. My TV is off and playing the sound from my theatre system.

Not sure why folk on here cant accept we all like to do things differently. There are things other folk like and I dont but I never feel the need to be the defender of VM day and night.

What is wrong with it being an option ??

I'm with you all the way. What is wrong with people? Had I known it was a feature on V+ I would have used it.

Hope they add it to Tivo :D
    Forum Member
    Imagine, this scenario..

Or you could just set it to record, finish-up what you're doing in the kitchen then sit down and watch the recording from the beginning.

No extra coding necessary for Tivo so they can get on with patching up the real problems :rolleyes:

Not sure why folk on here cant accept we all like to do things differently. There are things other folk like and I dont but I never feel the need to be the defender of VM day and night. What is wrong with it being an option ??
    Because it's a pointless option. Isn't it better they concentrate on solving the real issues with the box?
    porkpie wrote: »
    I guess anyone who can't keep an eye on the time ...
    Ahh yes. Time. The one thing that Tivo can save you plenty of. Up to 15 mins per hour, as it happens :)
    would find it more useful for a reminder although why you can't set it to record then just watch it a few minutes behind and catchup at an ad break is a mystery.
    Exactly.
    Stuart P wrote: »
    the whole point of the reminder is that the box changes the channel automatically for you so you don't have to!
    But the Tivo already does that (change channel at start) with the added bonus that it records the programme for you too.

So, to recap:

Reminder:
    Change channel at start

Tivo:
    Change channel at start
    Record programme.

So. Now can someone tell me why a reminder is better? :confused:
    reminder apps are everywhere on phones, tablets and laptops. people find them useful. apple just released ios5 with guess what? a reminder app as standard.
    That is, of course, a completely different thing altogether so it's a pointless comparison.
    the majority of households in the uk watch a ton of tv each and every day. so why the negative, sarcastic backlash against having them feature on a device that is used in conjunction with that tv?
    Because it is a redundant feature as Tivo already does something much better. (See above.)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But the Tivo already does that (change channel at start) with the added bonus that it records the programme for you too.

So, to recap:

Reminder:
    Change channel at start

Tivo:
    Change channel at start
    Record programme.

Right, I must be missing something(and I'm not being sarcastic) but I just went to guide, picked a programme 2 along and dont see this option of change channel at start, that you are referring to above. I'd be fairly happy with that if you can point it out to me ??
  • TRSTRS Posts: 985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Or you could just set it to record, finish-up what you're doing in the kitchen then sit down and watch the recording from the beginning.

No extra coding necessary for Tivo so they can get on with patching up the real problems :rolleyes:

Because it's a pointless option. Isn't it better they concentrate on solving the real issues with the box?

Ahh yes. Time. The one thing that Tivo can save you plenty of. Up to 15 mins per hour, as it happens :)

Exactly.

So, to recap:

Reminder:
    Change channel at start

Tivo:
    Change channel at start
    Record programme.

So. Now can someone tell me why a reminder is better? :confused:

That is, of course, a completely different thing altogether so it's a pointless comparison.

Because it is a redundant feature as Tivo already does something much better. (See above.)

So i'm sitting with the News channel on, up pops a reminder i'd set days ago saying so & so is about to start on another channel - great, i'll watch that. I wasn't watching anything in particular, I can now watch something I want to watch. What has the fact it could be recording have anything to do with it?

You don't want/like reminders, others do. That doesn't make it pointless, it means you don't want it. There is a difference believe it or not.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    timpo wrote: »
    You really think that it costs that much to power up?

I guess that would depend on how many times the TV is left on with nobody watching it wouldn't it Timpo?
    Forum Member
    Right, I must be missing something(and I'm not being sarcastic) but I just went to guide, picked a programme 2 along and dont see this option of change channel at start, that you are referring to above. I'd be fairly happy with that if you can point it out to me ??
    Set it to record. It will then change channel at the start of the show and (as an added bonus) record it for you as well.
    Forum Member
    TRS wrote: »
    So i'm sitting with the News channel on, up pops a reminder i'd set days ago saying so & so is about to start on another channel - great, i'll watch that. I wasn't watching anything in particular, I can now watch something I want to watch. What has the fact it could be recording have anything to do with it?
    I don't need reminders because I don't care what my Tivo is doing right now as I'm probably watching something a recorded yesterday anyway. After which I will go back to my list of recordings and pick something else to record; which may well be whatever is currently recording.

That is how I have been watching TV for about ten years now.

No last century functionality needed.
    You don't want/like reminders, others do. That doesn't make it pointless, it means you don't want it. There is a difference believe it or not.
    But they wouldn't need them if they would simply realise that what they have now is better.
  • porkpieporkpie Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TRS wrote: »

Because Tivo has 3 tuners to record.
    If you want reminders go back to a regular archaic box

The whole point is that if you spot something in the Guide you set it to RECORD then you won't miss it.

If you set a reminder you might not be around to see it anyway.

On the V+ a reminder was a relevant feature because its third tuner was not available to record so if your box was recording two programmes you could be reminded that you can still view on the third tuner even though you could not record it.

With Tivo you can record on all 3 tuners so reminders are not necessary. Just hit record instead of REMIND then if you spot a red recording light pop on that will remind you to click My Shows and your programme will be there ready to start watching
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Set it to record. It will then change channel at the start of the show and (as an added bonus) record it for you as well.

I really dont see this working. Surely its only going to record the programme on another tuner,so wont actually change over the channel I was on. In fact I'm sure most folk would be very annoyed if it did actually do that. :confused:
  • JethroUKJethroUK Posts: 6,107
    Forum Member
    martine93 wrote: »

no they're not

Tivo will never have reminders

Tivo My 2 Cents
  • Martin1Martin1 Posts: 8,322
    Forum Member
    JethroUK wrote: »
    no they're not

Tivo will never have reminders

Tivo My 2 Cents

Yes they will
    What’s happening with reminders?
    With the ability to record 3 simultaneous programmes we thought that reminders wouldn’t be necessary anymore. We now know that customers miss the feature enormously and we are looking at introducing them in a future release.
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=52945947&postcount=1