Options

My Poor Dog In This Heat

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,501
Forum Member
✭✭✭
So I live in the west of ireland, and my ten yo dog is chained up to his house at night time (lots of farm animals around)...I let him off every morning and tie him back up at night, but the last few days when i let him off he runs straight down to a tree in our garden and sits down in the little bit of shade we have for the day...

he literally doesnt move for like 9 hours (except to do his business and drink).

He has 3 big buckets of fresh water left around for him everyday but i just feel really bad for him.... he's been quietly crying (you know what I mean) every now and then.

Is there anything else I can do for him to make him feel better in this heat? I gave him as cold bath with the hose the other day but he HATES water

Comments

• Options
    Rocket QueenRocket Queen Posts: 1,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :rolleyes::rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well that is extremely helpful
  • Options
    AbsolutelyAbsolutely Posts: 1,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you not have a place in the house he could be? On tiles? My dogs dont go out in the sun (Well apart from the puppy who chases insects. lol), even though my door is open, but find a place on the tiled kitchen floor.
  • Options
    denial_orstupiddenial_orstupid Posts: 665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GoshBagosh wrote: »
    So I live in the west of ireland, and my ten yo dog is chained up to his house at night time (lots of farm animals around)...I let him off every morning and tie him back up at night, but the last few days when i let him off he runs straight down to a tree in our garden and sits down in the little bit of shade we have for the day...

he literally doesnt move for like 9 hours (except to do his business and drink).

He has 3 big buckets of fresh water left around for him everyday but i just feel really bad for him.... he's been quietly crying (you know what I mean) every now and then.

Is there anything else I can do for him to make him feel better in this heat? I gave him as cold bath with the hose the other day but he HATES water

try looking after him a bit better , its pretty obvious that where you have him chained up is too hot , move him somewhere cooler ? ? ?
    secondly the water will be heating up in this heat so instead of providing three buckets try using one and changing it every few hours for colder water .
    lastly it doesnt matter one jot if hee does not like water , i hate going to the dentist but know what it is good for me , the same applies to your dog . a soaking in this heat is good for him so regardless of him hating it or not just do it .
    and maybe google " how too care for your dog " :rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This thread is not going brilliantly really.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 391
    Forum Member
    Chained up and hot weather :rolleyes:
  • Options
    yorkiegalyorkiegal Posts: 18,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    he needs to be inside where it's cool. You live on a farm I take it? How about chaining him up in a cool outbuilding with the door open instead if for some reason you don't want him in the house.

My dog is walked very early and very late during this weather. He has a cold wet towel draped over him on his return to cool him down. Lots of cold fresh water available too.

You can also purchase a cooling coat for a dog which is filled with cold water packs.

If he likes it down by the tree where he can lay in the cool grass you could always put up a temporary shelter there, like a tent. Or get a cheap kids paddling pool which he can lay in too.

But inside the house would make a lot more sense to me. Not sure why you object to having him inside?
  • Options
    Lost_SoulLost_Soul Posts: 548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seriously...why have a dog if all you're going to do is chain them up.
    its too hot outside,let him inside.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    I don't want to get into the debate on rights and wrongs here but offer some advice to anyone with pets in this hot weather,
    Dogs can be kept cooler by filling a 2lt bottle with water and freezing it then wrap in an old towel/pillow case and put in thier bed (I keep 3 bottles on rotation). This can also work for rabbits etc but use a soaked frozen brick in case they chew it.
  • Options
    finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People have dogs outside to do a job. This dog is on a farm so there are quite a few jobs it could be doing. It most certainly needs shade though. The temperature of the drinking water is not important as the water will warm up fairly quickly and the cooling effect is caused by the heat of evaporation (evaporation uses a lot more energy than simply warming water up).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lynn1503 wrote: »
    Chained up and hot weather :rolleyes:
    Lost_Soul wrote: »
    Seriously...why have a dog if all you're going to do is chain them up.
    its too hot outside,let him inside.

Are you serious???

If you read my post it clearly says he is chained up at night time..ie. from 11 until mornings.

Its for his own safety.

He's been in the family for over 10 years, and all i'm doing is asking a simple question just to make sure he's comfortable in this weather.

Not need for all the condescending replies
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yorkiegal wrote: »
    he needs to be inside where it's cool. You live on a farm I take it? How about chaining him up in a cool outbuilding with the door open instead if for some reason you don't want him in the house.

My dog is walked very early and very late during this weather. He has a cold wet towel draped over him on his return to cool him down. Lots of cold fresh water available too.

You can also purchase a cooling coat for a dog which is filled with cold water packs.

If he likes it down by the tree where he can lay in the cool grass you could always put up a temporary shelter there, like a tent. Or get a cheap kids paddling pool which he can lay in too.

But inside the house would make a lot more sense to me. Not sure why you object to having him inside?

He isn't chained up during the day, just at night and he has a very large dog house .. He's a very large dog and very energetic, my mum doesnt like him in the house because he usually destroys the place
    I don't want to get into the debate on rights and wrongs here but offer some advice to anyone with pets in this hot weather,
    Dogs can be kept cooler by filling a 2lt bottle with water and freezing it then wrap in an old towel/pillow case and put in thier bed (I keep 3 bottles on rotation). This can also work for rabbits etc but use a soaked frozen brick in case they chew it.

thats a great idea, thanks
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe you could hose down his house in the evening as the sun is going down to make sure it's cool for bedtime and do it as often as needs be during the day.

While you are at it, if you could spray my bedroom about 8 or 9 o'clock I'd really appreciate it. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe you could hose down his house in the evening as the sun is going down to make sure it's cool for bedtime and do it as often as needs be during the day.

While you are at it, if you could spray my bedroom about 8 or 9 o'clock I'd really appreciate it. :D
    Thats actually a great idea :D

I'm after just hosing him down with cold water, had it on a misty spray but he still hated it....I'm sure its benefited him though...

I bought a large parasol this morning and put it down beside his tree to extend his shaded area, and put up a small tarpolen up the top of the garden but he doesnt like that... lol
  • Options
    sherisgirlsherisgirl Posts: 2,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have 2 Labs who absolutley hate water, even brought kiddies pools for them, wouldnt mind if they had been scared or frightened in their past but nope even the 1 born here in the spare room is scared of water, let alone his dad, OH said he should have taken them down the Millpond when they were young, even when I get the hose out, 2 white arses disappear in the back door and they have never been sprayed with it,but quite happy to lay under garden brollies on the grass in the shade or on the brick shed floor.
  • Options
    burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

He's probably just suffering from the heat - after all he is 10 years old.

My dog is quite thick coated and he just sleeps all day in this weather and livens up in the evening.
  • Options
    yorkiegalyorkiegal Posts: 18,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I regularly spray Baxter with one of those plant spray bottles filled with water. I initially got it as a training aid to stop bad behaviour but he loves being cooled down with it.
  • Options
    Shadow27Shadow27 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How about training the dog so it doesn't wreck the house... maybe interact with him, give him a safe area so he's not chained up, have you heard of fences?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shadow27 wrote: »
    How about training the dog so it doesn't wreck the house... maybe interact with him, give him a safe area so he's not chained up, have you heard of fences?

Another condesending reply...

He is chained up at NIGHT TIME

He has an acre of green to run around during the day that is surrounded by a wire fence...

He's a big dog and if he want's to get out he can, but he doesn't during the day. He's been left off in the past at night but has gotten out, and there's far too many animals around so he's tied up at night for his own safety
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member

Chaining a dog up is animal abuse. Bring him into the house.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chaining a dog up is animal abuse. Bring him into the house.

• Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,553
    Forum Member
    Whats his kennel made of ? Not corrugated metal :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    Whats his kennel made of ? Not corrugated metal :(

its wooden with a slate roof
  • Options
    BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,553
    Forum Member
    its wooden with a slate roof

Maybe it needs to be re-positioned could be in a sun trap so does not cool down.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 391
    Forum Member
    I don't thinkI am condensening I would never tie my dog up and even outside at night it can be hot