Hollyoaks winning best soap saved the night for me

David_HillDavid_Hill Posts: 3,073
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I was getting really bored of Corrie winning most of the awards, especially since they were so predictable, it was obvious months ago Michelle Keegan would win sexiest female and David Neilson and Julie Hesmondhlagh would scoop the ones they were nominated for. I said " Oh yawn I bet Corrie wins best soap yet again" and was pleasantly surprised when Hollyoaks won. Well done to the cast and crew.

Comments

• BellaroooBellarooo Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was actually expecting Eastenders to get it as they always seemed to have the biggest fan base.
  • grazemytvaddictgrazemytvaddict Posts: 4,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's the same for me and no offence to Julie and David as they are good but IMO I don't think they deserved all the awards they won.
  • BellaroooBellarooo Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Problem is, there will always be some who think the awards were deserved and those who don't. This year was the first year in a long time I have agreed with the winners except 1 category.
  • priscillapriscilla Posts: 34,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought because they were panel voted, the panel may have shared their votes equally amongst the other soaps, but it's good to see David and Julie get the recognition they deserve.
  • StarryNightStarryNight Posts: 7,289
    Forum Member
    It was a bit boring to see Roy and Hayley win everything but they must have deserved it. The man who plays Roy is a funny fella in real life.

I'll be honest, i've never thought Hollyoaks deserved that award less. This has been the worst year since it started but even so, i'm really glad they won. Its nice to see underdogs do well and its boring that its always Corrie or EE, so well done to Hollyoaks. They may not have had the best year this year but they deserve it for all the brilliant stuff that's come before.

I was also really happy for Ellis, Anna and Danny - those awards were certainly well deserved.

Poor old Doctors.
  • attitude99attitude99 Posts: 14,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poor old Emmerdale too.
  • barrcode88barrcode88 Posts: 6,849
    Forum Member
    David and Julie swept up, Corrie were the true winners tonight, Hollyoaks won by bulk voting (multiple email accounts etc) due to their nut jobs of a fanbase aka cheating in a way.
  • Liv1Liv1 Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    They were so happy bless them, I've only recently started watching again and really glad I did. It was so nice to see someone else win for a change, bet Emmerdale are gutted though. My prediction is Eastenders to win next year.
  • StarryNightStarryNight Posts: 7,289
    Forum Member
    barrcode88 wrote: »
    David and Julie swept up, Corrie were the true winners tonight, Hollyoaks won by bulk voting (multiple email accounts etc) due to their nut jobs of a fanbase aka cheating in a way.

Oh really? I only voted once. Anyway, if that was the case surely they'd have won all the public votes. Corrie won 3 of them.

Just be gracious, there's no need to insult the Hollyoaks fans because it won. Its the soap awards, its not worth getting pissy about.
  • xNATILLYxxNATILLYx Posts: 6,509
    Forum Member
    Oh really? I only voted once. Anyway, if that was the case surely they'd have won all the public votes. Corrie won 3 of them.

Just be gracious, there's no need to insult the Hollyoaks fans because it won. Its the soap awards, its not worth getting pissy about.

Same here i only voted the once.
  • IWasBoredIWasBored Posts: 3,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's the same for me and no offence to Julie and David as they are good but IMO I don't think they deserved all the awards they won.

I thought they deserved Best On Screen Couple and Best Actor for David.

But i thought that Killer Cameron should have won best storyline (Emmerdale), best actress should have gone to Lindsey Coulson (EE), Best Single Episode should have gone to when Val found out that the man who she slept with years ago is HIV positive (Emmerdale), Best dramatic performance should have gone to the chick who plays Rhona in Emmerdale for her portrayal of addiction to pain killers. I also thought that Emmerdale would have won best soap.

But this is only my opinion and Roger says that I am entitled to an opinion.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barrcode88 wrote: »

The majority of the crew who were behind multi-voting for Hollyoaks were voting for Kieron Richardson (he has a massive fanbase) and he didn't win
  • ForGodsSakeForGodsSake Posts: 16,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No idea how Hollyoaks got Best Soap but congrats to them.
  • IWasBoredIWasBored Posts: 3,418
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stop it with boring cheating block voting. I bet other fans do that with their votes for other soaps
  • orliefowlerorliefowler Posts: 1,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Hollyoak's win is a testament to two things: very clever and successful social media marketing and a fan base that felt very motivated to support their favorite show.

While I personally have felt lest invested in the show this year, I think the Hollyoaks win indicates that their fans feel very strongly about it. The show motivated their fan base enough to get more nominations than the other soaps and to win the big award. Clearly their fans love the show and that cannot be discounted.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    IWasBored wrote: »
    Stop it with boring cheating block voting. I bet other fans do that with their votes for other soaps

I agree.
  • BumbleSquatBumbleSquat Posts: 7,176
    Forum Member

I have to be very honest here and say neither David or Julie really deserved to win the Best Actor/Actress awards. I feel they simply won because there was an overall sense of ''paying their dues'' for the years of playing a Corrie double act which has ended now.

In my opinion, they had very good material with the storyline but they didn't push the boundaries with their acting - so they didn't manage to do the meaty material justice. Mind you, seeing the same people on-stage collecting awards for the same storyline was quite irritating after a while, which more than likely contributed to my lack of enthusiasm for them winning overall.

I love that Hollyoaks won the big award. They're very much an underdog - so they just showed that EastEnders and Corrie shouldn't assume anything.

Also, poor Doctors! They haven't won a single award since 2010!