Anytime+ BIG let down

p-gibsonp-gibson Posts: 305
Forum Member
Had anytime+ now for a couple of weeks. The concept is acceptable as doesnt take long before you can watch anything you download.
However I feel the content isnt great. I currently have Virgin in my spare room and selection of programes on the "Tv on Demand/ Catup TV" is far, far better selection of programes.

Firsty its hardly worth having ITV player on the platform as there is about 15 programes to watch and its all crap.
Why cant the service be more like the virgin service, have picks from the last 7 days programmes. Increase the selection of content?
Also is the service limited to the amount of programmes it can have on it?
Also the Sky Store is a really good idea, but the fact you need to pay for older films when you already pay a considerable amount for Sky Movies?

The EPG needs a complete overhall to make the AT+ much more organised and to increase the content.

Is it just me? :)

Comments

• Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,935
    Forum Member
    Your criticisms are perfectly valid, but remember it is still early days.
    I think you'll find that what was available from Virgin at the same stage of their development of their on-demand service was pretty sparse in the early days compared with now.
    As for paying for films, that's OK as long as they really aren't still available free (and commercial break free) anywhere else, and it does allow people without Sky Movies to access them.
    :)
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    p-gibson wrote: »
    Also the Sky Store is a really good idea, but the fact you need to pay for older films when you already pay a considerable amount for Sky Movies?

Sky Movies only has a certain number of films under licence at any one time. Those are 'free' on Anytime+.

If they don't have a licence, they're rentable on Anytime+ as they would be in Blockbusters.
  • p-gibsonp-gibson Posts: 305
    Forum Member
    derek500 wrote: »
    Sky Movies only has a certain number of films under licence at any one time.

Ohh didnt realise that.

Think the EPG needs changed to make it a little bit tidier and for the content to be alot better.
    Surely Sky could let the channel manage their own content on the service, adverts could fund this or Sky could give them a reduction in their carridge fees.
  • RoweyRowey Posts: 2,154
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Think the EPG needs changed to make it a little bit tidier and for the content to be alot better.
    Thats happening soon, me and many others on the forum have signed up to test it out sometime in the next week or so. We will have it downloaded to our boxes for testing.

But only the people who signed up a few weeks ago will get it. After the testing is complete everyone will get it.

iplayer and the full Itvplayer are to be added also once the new epg is completed.
    Also is the service limited to the amount of programmes it can have on it?
    No its unlimited.
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rowey wrote: »
    After the testing is complete everyone will get it..

everyone with a compatible box will get it.
    those with a thomson box definitely won't be getting anything.
  • fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Firsty its hardly worth having ITV player on the platform as there is about 15 programes to watch and its all crap.

This is temporary. ITV Player will evolve into a full catch-up service during the next few months.
  • arrasarras Posts: 407
    Forum Member
    Just curious, when did Virgin launch their on-demand?
  • davethorpdavethorp Posts: 8,701
    Forum Member
    arras wrote: »
    Just curious, when did Virgin launch their on-demand?

Back in the NTL/Telewest days there was still some on demand. We had it back when we signed up to telewest in November 2006
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Although Anytime+ has only recently been rolled out to non-Sky broadband users the trouble is it's already getting a bad reputation for lack of content.
    I bought a wifi bridge specifically for Anytime+, hooked it up to my Sky box and was immediately disappointed. Somewhat naively I expected Anytime+ channels like Discovery and History to have a large chunk of the back catalogue of shows like American Chopper and Ice Road Truckers, not 4 episodes of each! And seeing as how Sky have access to HBO's entire back catalogue I was hoping that the Sky Atlantic A+ channel would have some of HBO's older and lesser known content.

I understand the legalities and financial limitations of repeat programming, but you would expect Channels like Discovery, History, Nat Geo, Comedy Central, etc... which own a lot of their content outright, including repeat rights, would want to have a decent catalogue of content.
    I wouldn't have expected every episode of every show to be on A+, but the limited programmes and episodes available at the moment is nothing short of pathetic.
    What's even more annoying is that Sky are misleadingly promoting what's on Anytime+ like all the programming listed on their site is readily available to view when it's in fact not, and what is available is often limited to a few episodes.
  • Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,935
    Forum Member
    Well I was disappointed that episodes of The Simpsons and WWE shows weren't available on Anytime+, but I guess that's all down to the contracts that Sky has with the programme providers at present.
    As always, that should improve as time goes on and new contracts are drawn up.
    :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    linea wrote: »
    I understand the legalities and financial limitations of repeat programming, but you would expect Channels like Discovery, History, Nat Geo, Comedy Central, etc... which own a lot of their content outright, including repeat rights, would want to have a decent catalogue of content.

Why though when they can just show them on the proper channel and get advertising revenue?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    While I am somewhat disappointed in the Anytime+ content at present, I have made use of it. I think it's great how you can watch the episode almost immediately.

I hope in future we see a catch up service similar to iPlayer and preferably also a back catalogue of TV Series available (much like 4od).

Also, I'm pleasantly surprised that they don't have adverts in the anytime videos - for those on a limited broadband allowance, this will be helpful!

Although, if it came to it, I'd be fine with adverts if it meant we had a better catch up service and bigger back catalogue!

Is this likely to happen?
  • big_hard_ladbig_hard_lad Posts: 4,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *MikeB* wrote: »
    Why though when they can just show them on the proper channel and get advertising revenue?

Because in the backwards world that broadcasters live in, on demand rights are different to linear broadcast rights.
    Treble wrote: »
    While I am somewhat disappointed in the Anytime+ content at present, I have made use of it. I think it's great how you can watch the episode almost immediately.

I hope in future we see a catch up service similar to iPlayer and preferably also a back catalogue of TV Series available (much like 4od).

Also, I'm pleasantly surprised that they don't have adverts in the anytime videos - for those on a limited broadband allowance, this will be helpful!

Although, if it came to it, I'd be fine with adverts if it meant we had a better catch up service and bigger back catalogue!

Is this likely to happen?

iPlayer is coming this year, I'd imagine that Channel 4 will want to be onboard with 4OD at some stage too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

iPlayer is coming this year, I'd imagine that Channel 4 will want to be onboard with 4OD at some stage too.

Brilliant! It'd be really useful! Hopefully 4OD do join in too. Anytime+ really does seem to have the potential to be a brilliant feature! :D
  • AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah the lack of content makes it useless to me. I've posted before that ideally I would have liked a service where everything that Sky broadcasters have the rights to was available. In HD. That's the only way it could improve on my current use of the PVR to timeshift everything. That's a tough trick to pull off though so second best would be a catch-up service for the rare time when I miss something or the PVR screws up. Anytime+ doesn't even succeed there because the content is so poor. The chances of me finding something just broadcast seem to be nil.

So basically Anytime+ is a random (small) collection of stuff. Like the world's worst video rental store. It's also not helped by the lousy UI but that at least seems to be being addressed. I do see a lot of potential in Anytime+. The technology seems to work really well (PQ is excellent) but it's all let down by the content and when it comes to it content is king.
  • cockneycockney Posts: 1,087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would be far happier with it if it had a UI like Netflix & put movies into sub genre, maybe one day :rolleyes:
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cockney wrote: »
    I would be far happier with it if it had a UI like Netflix & put movies into sub genre, maybe one day :rolleyes:

On mine I get the movies in categories:- comedy, action, family, thriller, drama, sci-fi, horror and war & westerns.
  • StuartPlymouthStuartPlymouth Posts: 1,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is there any more news on when BBC iPlayer is joining Anytime+ ?
  • JulesandSandJulesandSand Posts: 6,012
    Forum Member
    Well I'm glad it's finally come to non-Sky BB users. I had a sleepless night and watched U-Turn, Narc and Unthinkable followed by a programme about Unusual Deaths (can't remember the exact title).

I'm sure content will improve over time.
  • MeanMintMeanMint Posts: 454
    Forum Member
    On mine I get the movies in categories:- comedy, action, family, thriller, drama, sci-fi, horror and war & westerns.

And at best you get about 6 films in thoses categories, you have to go into all to get the full 800 odd movies available, which is next to useless.

I use the free Sky Movies App on my touch if I'm searching for a film to watch, and then goto All on the Sky Box and then search. By the time I've found my film I can't be arsed to watch it with all that faffing about.:cool:
  • big_hard_ladbig_hard_lad Posts: 4,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MeanMint wrote: »
    And at best you get about 6 films in thoses categories, you have to go into all to get the full 800 odd movies available, which is next to useless.

I use the free Sky Movies App on my touch if I'm searching for a film to watch, and then goto All on the Sky Box and then search. By the time I've found my film I can't be arsed to watch it with all that faffing about.:cool:

You must be pretty impatient! Although I do agree...the sorting of content needs to be addressed and I'm sure it will be in the new EPG.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Sorry, i meant when you go to ALL movies :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 320
    Forum Member
    Perhaps if you leant to use it you would find it easier to use??

You don't have to search through all the movies to find one.......use the genre sections!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 320
    Forum Member
    Or if you're looking for a specific title......maybe the search function??
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RHIGGINSON wrote: »
    Perhaps if you leant to use it you would find it easier to use??

You don't have to search through all the movies to find one.......use the genre sections!

You do in ALL movies as there are no sub genre's, Thanks for your tip but i do know how to use it correctly ;)