You've learned NOTHING from Project Fear: Michael Gove hits out at economists'

12346»

Comments

• Options
    andyknandykn Posts: 66,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Turbulence wrote: »
    But remainers do have the magical power to shift the goal posts of time and change the rules as they wish -

They said the FTSE 100 would continue to fall, the IMF figures would continue to drop after that bad first month, the GDP would fall... but of course why would they ever acknowledge their mistakes, when they can just keep doing a Death from Bill & Ted - "It'll get worse in the next month... no, THAT will... no, I mean that, but in the next four months.... 2020!" All that along with their ailing foreign investment prediction, they wonder why people don't take them seriously.

And as for the post about remain actually making the case for remain, I said the same about Clinton. As far as I could tell, her number 1 policy was "Donald Trump is a bad man". People just don't get it. Potential voters want answers and solutions, even if it might not turn out to be the right one... they don't want to hear constant doom mongering, slating and insults. Times have changed.

But the fallout from the vote is still bad, the pound, inflation, falling growth...
  • Options
    Maggie 55Maggie 55 Posts: 2,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aurora13 wrote: »
    Sums up the financial illiteracy of the Brexit comments on here. What makes it worse is you can provide factual information but it's ignored. Either can't or won't read. You've got mass group think in operation. In a bubble determined to stop anyone popping that bubble.

You are the one just parroting 'trust the experts' line.

Economists are employed by financial institutions, fact.

The strategies obtained from the predictions of these people have been disastrous over the past decade.

A lot of these institutions only currently exist because they were bailed out from yours and mines taxes and still a lot continue to lose money.

They are still gambling with other peoples money.

We should force the banks to split their retail and personal banking business away from their trading (gambling) arm. Society needs the former not the latter.

If they want to gamble on currency movements and derivatives etc fine but they should not be underwritten by the Government for this business. If it goes wrong you go bust.

They were gambling, knowing that the Government was underwriting peoples deposits with them, they are still doing so.

How many people would deposit money with a bank who was gambling on market movements if they knew all their money would be lost if it went wrong?

Underwrite the retail banking business, or set up publicly owned banks, Society needs them.

Let the the gambling arm find its money where it can, if you trust them to guess the markets correctly you can deposit with them.

Would you trust them!!!!!!

Maggie
  • Options
    Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maggie 55 wrote: »
    You are the one just parroting 'trust the experts' line.

Economists are employed by financial institutions, fact.

The strategies obtained from the predictions of these people have been disastrous over the past decade.

A lot of these institutions only currently exist because they were bailed out from yours and mines taxes and still a lot continue to lose money.

They are still gambling with other peoples money.

We should force the banks to split their retail and personal banking business away from their trading (gambling) arm. Society needs the former not the latter.

If they want to gamble on currency movements and derivatives etc fine but they should not be underwritten by the Government for this business. If it goes wrong you go bust.

They were gambling, knowing that the Government was underwriting peoples deposits with them, they are still doing so.

How many people would deposit money with a bank who was gambling on market movements if they knew all their money would be lost if it went wrong?

Underwrite the retail banking business, or set up publicly owned banks, Society needs them.

Let the the gambling arm find its money where it can, if you trust them to guess the markets correctly you can deposit with them.

Would you trust them!!!!!!

Maggie

Point proven - AGAIN.
  • Options
    Maggie 55Maggie 55 Posts: 2,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aurora13 wrote: »
    Point proven - AGAIN.

Thanks.

I think I did prove the point that you are clueless.

Maggie
  • Options
    brewer480brewer480 Posts: 1,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    andykn wrote: »
    Only to people who don't understand the difference between conflicts like Kosovo and the two world wars. The fact that such people exist is why referenda are a bad idea.

Look you can be in denial all you like but the remain camp used fear, exagerations and lies to scare people to vote remain, but the people saw through it.
  • Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    brewer480 wrote: »
    Look you can be in denial all you like but the remain camp used fear, exagerations and lies to scare people to vote remain, but the people saw through it.

Obviously the £350 million for the NHS is guaranteed, isn't it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Obviously the £350 million for the NHS is guaranteed, isn't it.

I admitted earlier that they should have put 175m on the bus rather than the 350m. Yes the leave camp made mistakes, neither side was perfect, but you cant deny the government used an unnessasary amount of fear to scare us to voting remain.
  • Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    brewer480 wrote: »
    I admitted earlier that they should have put 175m on the bus rather than the 350m. Yes the leave camp made mistakes, neither side was perfect, but you cant deny the government used an unnessasary amount of fear to scare us to voting remain.

At least the Remain side didn't copy Nazi propaganda to scare people into voting for Leave. That was the low point of the campaign.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At least the Remain side didn't copy Nazi propaganda to scare people into voting for Leave. That was the low point of the campaign.

Please elaborate?

And is that an admition that the government did use project fear to scare us to voting remain?
  • Options
    allaortaallaorta Posts: 19,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The low point for me was the day after the referendum when I went to collect my winnings on betting Brexit at 11/2. The low point being had I been a bit quicker, I'd have got 6/1, still better than when they were around 7/4.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    allaorta wrote: »
    The low point for me was the day after the referendum when I went to collect my winnings on betting Brexit at 11/2. The low point being had I been a bit quicker, I'd have got 6/1, still better than when they were around 7/4.:D

11/2? You could have got 10/1 on Betfair at around 11.30pm when I cashed out my Remain bet.

Still, at least they didn't make you wait for a second referendum.
  • Options
    Payne by namePayne by name Posts: 3,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK - pick that part out - what about the rest of it? Are you happy for the country to be run/advised by those with no expertise?

The experts in question (i.e. those offering opinions on the outcome of a Leave vote) were proved wrong or at least certainly fallible. Only a fool would continue to blindly swallow their advice without some form of questioning on the reasons for their failings.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The experts in question (i.e. those offering opinions on the outcome of a Leave vote) were proved wrong or at least certainly fallible. Only a fool would continue to blindly swallow their advice without some form of questioning on the reasons for their failings.

They weren't far out.
  • Options
    LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member

They got the direction right, just not the speed.

It just goes to show how difficult it is to predict these things. This is why Brexiters should be even more sceptical about what people who are even less qualified to make predictions tell them, like Gove, Farage and Johnson, for example.