Options

Vegans Pressure Bank of England for Solution on £5 Notes

TankyTanky Posts: 3,647
Forum Member
✭✭✭
This is just absurd, and the BOE should not pander to these morons. In any case, animals are eaten by other animals every day, their body fat would have been consumed one way other the other. Even a carcass gets picked to the bone. The body fat are being used of benefit in our case, and in a way it's recycling them, other wise the fat would have been binned or disposed of.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38164921

Comments

• Options
    Mark_Jones9Mark_Jones9 Posts: 12,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As the BoE has declined to say which animal the fat is from could religious groups join the vegans protest? The common animal sources are cows and pigs.
  • Options
    solenoidsolenoid Posts: 15,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "Spend it don't eat it."
  • Options
    Mark_Jones9Mark_Jones9 Posts: 12,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    solenoid wrote: »
    "Spend it don't eat it."
    Veganism is a way of living which seeks to exclude, as far as is possible and practicable, all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for food, clothing or any other purpose.
    https://www.vegansociety.com/go-vegan/definition-veganism
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As the BoE has declined to say which animal the fat is from could religious groups join the vegans protest? The common animal sources are cows and pigs.

It's already begun(in the same article)-
    The response from the UK's Hindu and Sikh communities began to gather pace after vegans and vegetarians voiced their feelings on social media on Tuesday.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Veganism is a way of living which seeks to exclude, as far as is possible and practicable, all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for food, clothing or any other purpose.

I hope you are aware that many plastics are derived from dead animals as they are made from fossil fuels.
  • Options
    MartinPMartinP Posts: 31,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's a tough one....

http://plenteousveg.com/products-surprisingly-not-vegan/
  • Options
    SlojoSlojo Posts: 4,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well if they don't want the notes they can just send them to me. I'm willing to suffer for their cause :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also wonder, if a solution is found, does that mean a mass recall of £5 notes? As the new notes are already in circulation.

Also what if someone keeps a large amount of the animal fat version notes and starts using them after the recall has finished, what then? Do people really think they can differentiate them from the non animal fat versions?

This is going to be costly, with the possible need to recall £5 notes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MartinP wrote: »

And what about alcohol? Think of all those innocent yeasts that have to die to make your beer or wine.
  • Options
    Fried KickinFried Kickin Posts: 60,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vegans should just refuse to handle the £5 notes.
    But no of course they just whine like a bunch of little bitches.
  • Options
    Net NutNet Nut Posts: 10,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    I hope you are aware that many plastics are derived from dead animals as they are made from fossil fuels.

So there is no point in vegans using plastic shoes instead of leather then as both come from dead animals?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Net Nut wrote: »
    So there is no point in vegans using plastic shoes instead of leather then as both come from dead animals?

Indeed. The only difference is how long the animal has been dead.
  • Options
    rusty123rusty123 Posts: 22,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    solenoid wrote: »
    "Spend it don't eat it."

My thoughts exactly.
  • Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member

Not animals, algae mainly.
  • Options
    BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its the opposite of "being made of money".

That cow is minted !
  • Options
    BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They could just wait until the animals die of natural causes.

Problem solved !
  • Options
    Jayceef1Jayceef1 Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Net Nut wrote: »

Makes you wonder how they heat their homes or travel around or pretty much do anything that doesn't have some animal involvement. Yet have a hissy fit about a miniscule amount of tallow in a banknote.

They really are taking the biscuit (assuming no animals were harmed in the making of them)
  • Options
    Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    Its the opposite of "being made of money".

That cow is minted !

Horseradished surely? Lambs are minted.
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This country is really getting ridiculous. Haven't people got better things to worry about?

I think that future production of the notes should use a different plastic because the notes are incredibly easy to permanently crease and do not fold easily, but I couldn't give a monkey's as to what they're made of. I don't want to eat one!

How many Vegans are there in the UK? About 150,000?
  • Options
    rusty123rusty123 Posts: 22,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why not make them out of dead people instead?
    Might even save a few bob on the cost of a funeral and free up a bit of much needed space for building houses....

Dig 'em up - we're all getting far too fat so there's plenty of potential product and we're all supposed to embrace recycling.

It's a win win.

;-)
  • Options
    ChemistryChemistry Posts: 311
    Forum Member
    I am not a moron, nor a whiney bitch because I and others have kicked up a fuss about this. I have chosen to refrain from anything produced by another earthling because it is not mine to take. I cannot refrain from holding money and that choice has been taken away. There is no need to cause others harm in 2016.

As a geologist the comparison to fossil fuels is about as ridiculous as those omnivores who claim plants have feelings.
  • Options
    Fried KickinFried Kickin Posts: 60,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chemistry wrote: »
    I am not a moron, nor a whiney bitch because I and others have kicked up a fuss about this. I have chosen to refrain from anything produced by another earthling because it is not mine to take. I cannot refrain from holding money and that choice has been taken away. There is no need to cause others harm in 2016.

As a geologist the comparison to fossil fuels is about as ridiculous as those omnivores who claim plants have feelings.
    Wear gloves.
  • Options
    MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And what about alcohol? Think of all those innocent yeasts that have to die to make your beer or wine.

A lot of beer is filtered through Isenglass (not sure of spelling) which is made from swim bladders of fish. This upsets vegans greatly. Of course the chances that you are using a fiver that someone has handled after eating a burger, sausage roll, roast beef sandwich etc are extremely high. You would also be touching raw animal fat and likely in greater quantities. Same goes for coins. Wear gloves and wash your money vegans! It's the only way to be sure.
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No, you're not a moron or a whiney bitch. No one should ever call you that. But you are a minority and have CHOSEN your lifestyle. Therefore, as most people just exist in accordance to how nature intended, you should respect the fact that your life choice from time to time is going to be incompatible with the rest of society. Tolerance is a two sided mirror, you can't expect the majority to bend over backwards to accommodate you if you are complaining about things the majority have no concerns about doing or using. The new fivers are designed to protect the environment because fewer notes will need to be produced because the lifespan of a note is longer. It also saves on paper and protects trees. The tenners are going the same way next year. The twenties are to follow in 2018.
  • Options
    Union JockUnion Jock Posts: 7,262
    Forum Member

Use a debit card.