i've blown up my computer....

primerprimer Posts: 6,370
Forum Member
so, yesterday it wouldn't start. nothing. no fan, no beeping, no start. nothing.

so i checked the fuse and tried a replacement power cable. nothing.

so i then did some stupid thing, where by i flicked this switch i couldn't read (its all a bit dark round the back... i thoughtt it might be some power surge override protector .... or something) and

*bang* smell of electrical burning. it was the 110/220 switch.... :o

so, can anyone advise me what might have been wrong in the first place, and what might be worse about it now...

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 386
    Forum Member
    You have certainly blown your PSU by flicking the voltage selector switch to 110V. Maybe the PSU was already faulty. I'd suggest you try a new PSU and don't mess with the voltage switch!!
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well if the PSU wasn't dead before it sure as hell is now!

It is actually quite rare these days to find a 110/220 V switch on a PSU. Most modern ones are switch mode and can happily accept anything from about 90V upwards without any need for switches.

Which makes me think your PSU is possibly a bit old and may have failed before you blew it up. One of the more likely things is capacitors ageing and basically stopping working. And if you put the wrong volts across them they can explode quite spectacularly (make good miniature missiles some of them and the devils own job cleaning up the mess they leave behind :D). Or the voltage regulators have failed. Can happen if they were running close to capacity for a long time so getting warm in use.

If you are very lucky the PSU was sufficiently dead before hand for no damage to have occurred to the motherboard or other components in your PC. It certainly sounds as if it had died already. So you may just need to replace the PSU to get back in business.
  • peteroddanpeteroddan Posts: 1,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like it was either your PSU or Motherboard that was the problem to begin with.

I'd be inclined to take in into a PC repair shop and get them to check your Motherboard first.... i'd be reluctuant to but a new PC only to find out I needed a new motherboard as well - depending on the age of your motherboard, you may find it difficult to find one that supports youd ram and processor, meaning those would need to be replaced as well... before you know it, you'd be in new pc price territory!
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes you switched the voltage to jap levels. Well blown. Could have taken out a few other things too.
  • primerprimer Posts: 6,370
    Forum Member
    thank you very much for your replies... very helpful to know what to ask the repairers to look at.

as you can imagine, i'm kicking myself for making the original problem worse...

its all a bit old, but new machine is not really an option unless i really have to...

i also need to get it going cos its got all my stuff on...

oh what an eejit...
  • etldlrletldlrl Posts: 6,162
    Forum Member
    primer wrote: »
    i also need to get it going cos its got all my stuff on...

Even if the PC is dead there is a reasonable chance that the hard disk is OK and can be put into another PC so that you can copy your files off it.
  • primerprimer Posts: 6,370
    Forum Member
    etldlrl wrote: »
    Even if the PC is dead there is a reasonable chance that the hard disk is OK and can be put into another PC so that you can copy your files off it.
    thanks, yes, its just the time and the nuisance and the money....