Options

Where are Bookmarks stored as files for FireFox??

max_dbmax_db Posts: 3,892
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi there all, I need to reinstall windows and have a lot of bookmarks on FireFox, I would know if the are saved as individual files like Internet Explorer Favourites so I can save them and put them back after reinstalling.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What I use is a program called MozBackup. it creates a back-up for all the Firefox related stuff which you can save as a file somewhere.

Then after doing whatever you need to do you run MozBackup again and restore the backup.

It finds all the files it needs and puts them back all by itself so saves you having to go hunt them down. And it will backup and restore Thunderbird e-mails if you use that as well.

Oh yeah the website is

http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/
  • Options
    skunkboy69skunkboy69 Posts: 9,506
    Forum Member
    I second Chrisjr.I've used Mozbackup for years and never had to look for anything else.Every Firefox user should have it installed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for your help guys. I will do it that way too.
  • Options
    ForestChavForestChav Posts: 35,127
    Forum Member
    http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/profiles

I have usually just moved these folders around during/after reinstallations. The last time, the other week, I moved mine onto a different drive. There's basically just program files and Windows on my OS drive now.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    max_db wrote: »
    Hi there all, I need to reinstall windows and have a lot of bookmarks on FireFox, I would know if the are saved as individual files like Internet Explorer Favourites so I can save them and put them back after reinstalling.

Thanks

If you do a backup from 'Organise Bookmarks' menu, they are normally saved to the desktop as .json files with the date they are saved on.
  • Options
    ForestChavForestChav Posts: 35,127
    Forum Member
    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Profile_folder that's actually a better link than my earlier one, and the one I was looking for.
  • Options
    Magic CottageMagic Cottage Posts: 2,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another vote here for Mozbackup
  • Options
    BeachcomberBeachcomber Posts: 663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I use Foxmarks.
  • Options
    Raven8472Raven8472 Posts: 389
    Forum Member
    Another vote for installing the firefox add in xmarks/formarks It allows your bookmarks to follow you from one install of firefox to another along with other computers, so if like me you have a desktop at home , netbook , work computer even an iphone then when ever you modify add your bookmarks it will add or change that bookmark to all other machines.

Best most useful addin i have used for firefox.
  • Options
    user123456789user123456789 Posts: 16,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Upgrade to FF 4b7 and use the built-in Sync facility (Bookmarks, Passwords, Tabs, History, Preferences) :)

If you want you can then downgrade to FF 3.6 and the settings will be there :)

I had to reinstall windows last month and all my bookmarks came back with ease :)

Chromium (Google Chrome) goes one better as that even installs all your extensions as well :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thing about MozBackup though is that it backs up everything, not just bookmarks but all the other stuff in the user profile as well.

So basically you don't have to faff around returning the re-installed FF to the way you had it previously. MozBackup does pretty much all of that for you.
  • Options
    user123456789user123456789 Posts: 16,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FF Sync is continually updating so your settings will be more up to date than win MozBackup, but if you use the two together then you'll cover all bases :)
  • Options
    _SpeedRacer__SpeedRacer_ Posts: 6,724
    Forum Member
    Bookmarks are backed up automatically, if you know where to find them ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi again all, I've just ran MozBackup and the program ended saying a back up created the only thing now is I don't know where it's been created to as I need to save the file/s so I can load it back on to my pc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It saves it by default in the Mozilla Profile folder unless you tell it otherwise.

It might be easier to do another back-up and this time point it at a folder of your choosing. if you look at this screenshot

http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/images/eng/03.png

see the Browse button bottom right? Click that and you can select where you want to save the back-up to.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you very much, that saved me a lot of time. I am also quite pleased it saves everything else for me like cookies and URL bar short-cuts etc.

I appreciate your help :)