• annies1annies1 Posts: 831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    deleted.
  • cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    seal b wrote: »
    I agree. But if the working hours are 9-5 and the dog gets walked in the morning and in the evening then I see no harm. If it's a nervous dog then this isn't ideal, but if it's a more confident dog then it would be fine. My dog was fine when left by himself although he did get a long walk before everyone went to school/work.

If th working hours are 9-5 you have to add half an hour for travelling at each end. That's nine hours. Quite a long time if it's every day.

I do agree that some dogs would be OK with it but many others would be at their wits end.

How would the home staff be able to tell?
  • frisky pythonfrisky python Posts: 9,737
    Forum Member
    Exactly. It would be unfair on the dog for it to try said homes to see if it was OK or not and then be shipped back to a rescue centre if it was not.

OP I just don't think rescue homes are your best bet as I said previously. The charities (which most of them are) have spent a great deal of time and money on the dogs and want to make sure they get it absolutely right. I had the same when Mr Python and I looked at getting a rescue cat from the RSPCA - turned down cos we both worked at the time. It is upsetting and frustrating to feel you can give a good home, but itreally isnt personal, it's about what the centres feel is best for the animals. It is after all their responsibility to get it right for the sake of the animal and getting it wrong may set the animal "back" IYSWIM.

As I said, best thing is start with your vets and go from there. If your vets is anything like mine they'll have a list and may even be able to recommend you to a particular rescue centre who will consider you.

Other places to try is the breed specific rescue societies - if you have experience of a particular breed they may be more inclined to discuss rehoming with owners with that experience.
  • quatroquatro Posts: 2,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm looking into adopting a retired greyhound. I am retired and home all day. I have been astonished by the conversation I had with someone from a rehoming organisation.

I was told I only get the dog they choose for me - fair enough as they know the dog, can work out my lifestyle and do a match.
    However I was told these dogs come from a kennel and therefore are not house trained at all, could have seperation anxiety problems as they are used to other dogs being around them, may not be lead trained etc. etc. - she painted a pretty bleak picture.
    However on websites a lot seem to be in/come from foster homes and it is stated they are ok with children, house trained, ok to be left for a short time etc.

I asked if I could at least meet the dog before it was brought to my home - the answer, No!

Sorry but I would like some input and choice in rehoming a dog who is to be part of my life for the next 10 years maybe. Is it ok for a dog to be brought here and then I feel pressured to take it, or it has to go back if I feel it isn't right for me? I have to connect with the dog, I have to like it and the dog needs to take to me.

Well this is how I have rehomed [from private homes] before, and it has worked as me and the dogs took to each other - no good if they dont.

I'm seriously thinking of not going ahead.

I do not want a dog with huge problems. You can say her selection process worked - and I'm obviously not what they want, yet I have the ideal conditions here, loads of time, enough money to keep a dog/vets fees etc, and love walking. Would take a dog on holiday with me.

It will be a hell of a lot easier to rehome a dog from a private home [for genuine reasons] as I've done it before and feel I'm being judged by this rehoming person. What a frustrating process.
  • Shadow27Shadow27 Posts: 4,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    annies1 wrote: »
    I was willing to take two weeks off work and go out for longer periods. I also said that nine times out of ten my husband is home for lunch for an hour, it would seem I'm too honest.

I think that what some charities are worried about is that the dog will get a routine in the first few weeks and then everyone will disappear off to work and leave them alone. It's part of the reason why they won't allow adoptions during Christmas as the routine is altered completely.

Dwelling on others seems to be upsetting you so much (hug). Can you get the vet for your lovely late dog to recommend you? And rope in a good neighbour too? How many shelters have you spoken to?
  • KFAKFA Posts: 3,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I work at an animal sanctuary and yes, there are a lot of hoops to jump through but we need to be sure that we're not going to get the dog back in a few weeks or get complaints about the animal being left outside all day to bark.

£150 is not that much when you consider the dog has been neutered or spayed, had all vaccinations and health checked while in our care (we suggest a minimum donation of £60 to cover this). We want all our dogs to be rehomed but leaving a dog (epecially a young dog) on it's own for long periods is not ideal so we need to ensure there will be someone with it most of the day.

God. i've only worked there for a month and i'm already involved in PR :D
  • CineastCineast Posts: 2,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    quatro wrote: »
    I'm looking into adopting a retired greyhound. I am retired and home all day. I have been astonished by the conversation I had with someone from a rehoming organisation.

I was told I only get the dog they choose for me - fair enough as they know the dog, can work out my lifestyle and do a match.
    However I was told these dogs come from a kennel and therefore are not house trained at all, could have seperation anxiety problems as they are used to other dogs being around them, may not be lead trained etc. etc. - she painted a pretty bleak picture.
    However on websites a lot seem to be in/come from foster homes and it is stated they are ok with children, house trained, ok to be left for a short time etc.

I asked if I could at least meet the dog before it was brought to my home - the answer, No!

Sorry but I would like some input and choice in rehoming a dog who is to be part of my life for the next 10 years maybe. Is it ok for a dog to be brought here and then I feel pressured to take it, or it has to go back if I feel it isn't right for me? I have to connect with the dog, I have to like it and the dog needs to take to me.

Well this is how I have rehomed [from private homes] before, and it has worked as me and the dogs took to each other - no good if they dont.

I'm seriously thinking of not going ahead.

I do not want a dog with huge problems. You can say her selection process worked - and I'm obviously not what they want, yet I have the ideal conditions here, loads of time, enough money to keep a dog/vets fees etc, and love walking. Would take a dog on holiday with me.

It will be a hell of a lot easier to rehome a dog from a private home [for genuine reasons] as I've done it before and feel I'm being judged by this rehoming person. What a frustrating process.

I'm really sorry you've had this experience, but I would like to point out that this is not the policy of ALL greyhound homing people :)

The one we use encourages potential adoptees to go along and meet the dogs at their kennels as many times as they need to be sure of their decision. Our first effectively picked us, by standing beside me and refusing to leave. I don't think anyone can say which dog and which owner will click just by meeting them for maybe half an hour beforehand, it's a very personal thing.

While it's only right you're warned of potential issues that these dogs MAY suffer, I think you've had a pretty negative picture painted for you. Our first was fully house-trained, didn't climb on furniture, walked on the lead etc quite happily. No 2 wasn't any of these things but it only took a week for him to figure it all out. It could be that our next dog isn't quite so adaptable and could take more work than this, but that's the joy of getting a new one - you're never quite sure what you're going to have to deal with next :eek::D

If you can, I'd see about rehoming from another greyhound place altogether. There's no way I'd be willing to rehome a dog I hadn't even been able to meet, and I think it's hugely irresponsible for an organisation to behave like this. I dread to think how many poor hounds end up being taken back to them because people have had unsuitable dogs foisted upon them.
  • Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
    Forum Member
    OP, have you thought of volunteering as a dog walker either with the cinnamon Trust or the RSPCA in your spare time? I know it's not exactly what you want but it might be a good compromise.

I have a friend who works full time and has a dog, but he tales it with him everywhere he goes as he is a self-employed tradesman. It;s so cute to see the little Jack Russell with him in his van. :D
  • quatroquatro Posts: 2,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cineast - thanks for that very helpful post. OP - dont mean to hijack the thread!

I thought the whole conversation was very odd, I was talked to as if I was 5 years old and an awful picture painted of the dogs.
    She said the dogs on websites dont actually exist - which I think can't be right, surely rescue sites wouldn't mislead people in this way [?]
    I've applied elsewhere - no phone call yet as promised though. I certainly hope another rescue can have a better policy and actually cooperate and communicate with the potential owner to come to a well thought through decision - after actually meeting the dog/s. Not too much to ask for in my opinion.....
  • *starburst**starburst* Posts: 315
    Forum Member
    quatro wrote: »
    Cineast - thanks for that very helpful post. OP - dont mean to hijack the thread!

I thought the whole conversation was very odd, I was talked to as if I was 5 years old and an awful picture painted of the dogs.
    She said the dogs on websites dont actually exist - which I think can't be right, surely rescue sites wouldn't mislead people in this way [?]
    I've applied elsewhere - no phone call yet as promised though. I certainly hope another rescue can have a better policy and actually cooperate and communicate with the potential owner to come to a well thought through decision - after actually meeting the dog/s. Not too much to ask for in my opinion.....

Hi Quatro, I don't know which greyhound trust you tried, but I've just recently adopted a retired racer and the people I went through were fantastic. Have a look at my thread if you get chance, and also their website

http://www.retiredgreyhounds.co.uk/

There are branches all over the country and they need lots of people to re-home a wonderful grey.. I work from 9.30-3.00pm, the dog is walked before school/work, straight after and then after tea time. He has adapated really well and is entirely house trained and just adorable.

OP - I understand your frustration, and maybe this is something you can look into too? Depends on your circumstances etc but they do make fantastic bone idle pets, but they do need lots of attention too :)
  • 2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,577
    Forum Member
    We wanted to get a rescue dog, all we wanted was a child friendly dog for a child of 7, but every dog we looked at was not available for homes with children under 12, now if these dogs cannot live with children, should they be rehoming them at all? they will have to encounter children on walks etc, and its quite scary to think that some dogs are rehomed when they cant be around children under 12.

We gave up in the end and bought a puppy locally, and we are doing the same in 2 months time, just waiting for them to be born :D Our first dog cost us £400 because she is a pedigree choc lab, but the new pup will be a chorkie and the lady is going to charge us just a hundred pounds.

I would not bother trying to get a dog at a rescue centre again, we had waited months for the right dog through them( dogs trust) and not once did a dog come up that was suitable for children.
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Settling in period has been mentioned it took 8 months to settle Duncan in - 2 weeks into the process he was only just out of the fireplace and willing to eat his food in the middle of the room ! First 3 days he hid in the fireplace behind the stove - rescue dogs come with baggage you have to understand that is one of the reasons they want someone at home with them.

Someone else has said they don't want a dog with problems - even dogs from breeders can come with problems !
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    We wanted to get a rescue dog, all we wanted was a child friendly dog for a child of 7, but every dog we looked at was not available for homes with children under 12, now if these dogs cannot live with children, should they be rehoming them at all? they will have to encounter children on walks etc, and its quite scary to think that some dogs are rehomed when they cant be around children under 12.

We gave up in the end and bought a puppy locally, and we are doing the same in 2 months time, just waiting for them to be born :D Our first dog cost us £400 because she is a pedigree choc lab, but the new pup will be a chorkie and the lady is going to charge us just a hundred pounds.

I would not bother trying to get a dog at a rescue centre again, we had waited months for the right dog through them( dogs trust) and not once did a dog come up that was suitable for children.

It's for everyone's safety they don't rehome to young children - any dog can turn and a fast moving child could be the trigger also they need to be sure the children are old enough to understand how to handle a dog by 12 hopefully they are and will not accidentally hurt the dog.
  • j4Rosej4Rose Posts: 5,482
    Forum Member
    Are you sure you're ready for a new dog? 3 weeks is a very short period of time. I'm not judging at all; I just know I would probably have resented a new addition so soon after my dog died. Good luck anyway, whatever you decide to do.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The main reason they stipulate this isn't because they think the dog might be nasty to the child - it's because they feel that particular dog needs consistent rules and boundaries in place from everyone in the house for the whole family and the dog to be happy. It's very often harder to achieve that with younger kids as they might nurture bad habits.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    j4Rose wrote: »
    Are you sure you're ready for a new dog? 3 weeks is a very short period of time. I'm not judging at all; I just know I would probably have resented a new addition so soon after my dog died. Good luck anyway, whatever you decide to do.

I must say I did think that but I suppose not everyone is the same.

I waited 2 years after I had my old dog put to sleep.
  • SandgrownunSandgrownun Posts: 5,024
    Forum Member
    No reputable rescue centre would rehome a dog that they thought could attack a child. They'll be worried about the stress a small child might cause a dog that's already had a stressful time.
    Everyone's different. My friend got a new dog a week after hers died, I thought it was too soon, but the new dog has done wonders at taking her mind of her loss and he has a fantastic life with her so it worked out well for both of them.
  • annies1annies1 Posts: 831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I thought I wanted to apply for the future, but all this hassle has just upset me more, I just wanted to get the ball rolling - I didn't expect one next week or even next month...I wanted to put my name down and wait and then in a few months if there was a dog suitable and we took to each other then to go from there. Not bothering now, I can't do it. I don't feel like I can keep applying and getting knocked back.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi - I haven't read the whole thread but I know that greyhound rescue's are more relaxed about the working full time business due to the nature of the dog. They would be satisfied with someone going home at lunch time to let it out for a toilet break. I've just enquired with the Merseyside greyhound rescue centre to re-home from there. I work full time but they said this isn't a show stopper (well not their exact words) so long as I could find someone (friend/neighbour) to relieve it during the day, as it happens, I don't have a friend or neighbour to do this and have started making enquiries with local dog walking services.
  • j4Rosej4Rose Posts: 5,482
    Forum Member
    I thought I wanted to apply for the future, but all this hassle has just upset me more, I just wanted to get the ball rolling - I didn't expect one next week or even next month...I wanted to put my name down and wait and then in a few months if there was a dog suitable and we took to each other then to go from there. Not bothering now, I can't do it. I don't feel like I can keep applying and getting knocked back.

I got one of my dogs from a breed rescue place. It wasn't very expensive at all. Maybe you could look around more? It's nice that you want to rescue a dog - there are so many dogs in need.

It seems like they've made the whole process more complicated than it needs to be, a bit like adoption. I understand that they want to make sure the dogs will be will looked after, but most situations will be better for the dog than being cooped up in a rescue place. That's bound to be mentally disturbing for them.

Don't let it upset you. Keep looking and I'm sure you'll find the right dog for you :)
  • Shadow27Shadow27 Posts: 4,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's such a shame. Some poor wee dog is going to miss out on a lovely home because you're giving up. I hope you find the strength to carry on and take up some of the suggestions and good advice on here. We're thinking of adopting a dog after the death of our lovely labrador last year and it's been interesting reading but we're determined to get a rescue dog.
  • shirlt9shirlt9 Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    I think some rehoming centres are losing the plet..it is just reality that people work..but everyone who loves animals makes the provisions to care for them which may mean nipping home part way through the day or getting someone to call in..

OP if you dont have any luck try preloved or freeads..I know puppy farm breeders sell on these sites but filter through the ads and you will find some genine people who have to let their pets go for various reasons..some of them even want to see where their pet is going and may be even keep in touch..not everyone is out to make a quick pund or two..

We got a cavalier from preloved years ago and he was gorgeous..good natured,house trained and a joy to have..he had been raised in a family home and was soft as anything..the couple had another child and toddler was sneezing and nose running all the time..turned out to be the cavvys fur..he had to go they were devastated and stayed in touch for 2/3 years afterwards just to see how he was..he has 4 when he arrived.

There are success stories and you just have to try and judge the character when you get in touch..but you sont asked stupid questions..and our cavvy was £70..they were just pleased he was going somewhere similiar to where he lived.
  • xdowxdow Posts: 2,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    we went to adopt a dog from the RSPCA about 14 years ago now, our home, garden and everything was fine

but they said no, due to the three dogs my mother had before i was born having to be put down - a decision they effectively made for her, due to refusing to board them or re-home them together.

i don;t want to dig into the circumstances of this one again on here

but the rspca is one place we will not be bothering with again.

lord, i tried adopting a hamster last year when they were overrun with them, but because i couldn't take my cage down with me (it's massive when set up and i was walking) they said no.
    i showed them pictures of it set up, with toys tubes et all
    pictures taken with the date and all on there
    took a suitable carry box down with me and they just refused, despite me explaining the situation
  • Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    Have a read through this thread on greyhounds/lurchers, there is a lot of good advice and links to rescues in there.
  • TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    I would never go to the RSPCA i tried to adopt a dog and i worked full time but said the dog would be going to day care and they said as far as they were concerned that was no different than them being caged there all day.
    RSPCA on all fronts are pretty much a waste of space in my opinion and i would only look at smaller rescues and breed rescues if i was ever to get a dog again.