Options

The U2 Appreciation Thread

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 69
Forum Member
Thought since Lady GaGa and The Saturdays etc. have their own thread, it was about time that one of the biggest rock acts in the world should have their own.

So any U2 fans on this - post away about your favourite songs and albums, future albums, tours, news and gossip

Comments

• Options
    Mr. FahrenheitMr. Fahrenheit Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    *BOOM!*

I was waiting for this!:D

Love them. When I heard Vertigo aged 9, it was like- ''Wow, that is ****ing perfect!'':D

Since then I've discovered all their work, Joshua Tree is my favourite album of their's and One shits on every ballad since it came out.:D

I've also seen them live twice, the Vertigo Tour and the 360 last year in Croker!:D
  • Options
    HaydenHayden Posts: 32,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me, they have the power to move me and to irritate me in equal measures.

The live version of 'Bad' is THE most extraordinarily powerful piece of music,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hayden wrote: »

Can't argue with you there!:D
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think this says it all really - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euGFdZ5UUuI

Also, an amazing version of Bad here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2spzZsPGrzA
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think this says it all really - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euGFdZ5UUuI

Also, an amazing version of Bad here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2spzZsPGrzA

Wow, he does Pav's part really well in Miss S.:eek::)
  • Options
    BrooklynBoyBrooklynBoy Posts: 10,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    *BOOM!*

I was waiting for this!:D

Love them. When I heard Vertigo aged 9, it was like- ''Wow, that is ****ing perfect!'':D

Since then I've discovered all their work, Joshua Tree is my favourite album of their's and One shits on every ballad since it came out.:D

I've also seen them live twice, the Vertigo Tour and the 360 last year in Croker!:D

It's great reading this post that someone got into them quite recently and went back to discover some of their older stuff.

I love U2 but i didn't bother with the last tour as the last album didn't do anything for me and I knew the tour set list featured a lot of the new album.

My first U2 show was Zoo TV at Yankee Stadium. I then saw Popmart (my favorite tour), the Elevation tour and the Vertigo tour. I've seen a couple of special performances in NYC too when they were doing publicity.

I think my favorite album is Achtung Baby. It's the one that doesn't really feature a weak track as far as i'm concerned. My favorite song though is either Gloria, The Unforgettable Fire or Zooropa.

I've also got a soft spot for New York on "All that you can't leave behind" and for City Of Blinding Lights as I saw them perform it under the Brooklyn Bridge and the lyrics seemed so perfect.

Check the clip out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd01FObU3Q4&feature=related
  • Options
    BrooklynBoyBrooklynBoy Posts: 10,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow, I just found a clip on youtube of that gig at Yankee Stadium.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAVsZcrNJPo&feature=related

Is it true that you didn't get Mirrorball Man in Europe? We didn't get Macphisto so maybe Bono changed persona?
  • Options
    AliU2maniacAliU2maniac Posts: 1,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    McPhisto was a lot of fun! I think Bono changes personality on a regular basis which always makes U2 gigs an interesting experience :D

I saw U2 perform Miss Sarejevo in LA in 05 and Bono was simply outstanding when he sung Pavarotti's verse.Bono was really brave to perform that song as Pavarotti was a hard act to follow, but he was superb :D

I've been a U2 fan for nearly 30yrs and I've seen many, many live acts but no band comes close to the greatness that is U2.They remain relevent, their albums still top the charts and they still sell out gig after gig around the world.Not many bands have been together without a line-up change for 34yrs but U2 managed it through sheer hard work, tenacity and talent.I love U2 to death :D

Here's U2 in Rome in August and I was there!! I was part of the white part in the Irish flag :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMxDbcm2XEs

Here's Bad from Rome.I nearly exploded with joy when I heard the first note.89,000 people screaming "Wide awake" is incredibly uplifting and I have goosebumps right now :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kip6HM9AzGM
  • Options
    user1234567user1234567 Posts: 12,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bono irritates the shite out of me but I do like U2. "Where the Streets Have no Name" is my favourite song and my favourite video from any artist. I would've loved to have been in that crowd when they were playing
  • Options
    Tel69Tel69 Posts: 27,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hayden wrote: »

100% agree with you Hayden. Bad live is a truly stunning piece of work. Whilst I'm no longer a fan their earlier work pre early 90's is still as good as ever.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just received my annual present from U2--a free download of U2 & the Soweto Gospel Choir singing 'Amazing Grace/Where The Streets Have No Name' and it's fantastic.I remember the promo ESPN did for the World Cup and even though the Choir didn't actually perform alongside U2 it's still a brilliant track.U2 should do a tour with a gospel choir as many of their songs are very spiritual :)

Here's a link for those who may want a listen:

http://www.slicingupeyeballs.com/2010/12/23/u2-soweto-gospel-choir-amazing-grace-where-streets-have-no-name/
  • Options
    TheSlayer10TheSlayer10 Posts: 1,866
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I Still haven't found what Im Looking for is one of my alltime fave songs

I will never stop loving it
  • Options
    Multimedia81Multimedia81 Posts: 83,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    U2 are one of my all-time fave bands. They usually have one of my fave songs every year they release anything and end up with 2 of my fave songs pretty much any decade. I think their best songs would include:

I Will Follow
    When Love Comes to Town
    One
    Miss Sarajevo (actually by the Passengers featuring Bono)
    Staring at the Sun
    Elevation
    City of Blinding Lights - a song I had the honour of getting to know on holiday in Ireland in 2005!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    U2 are one of my all-time fave bands. They usually have one of my fave songs every year they release anything and end up with 2 of my fave songs pretty much any decade. I think their best songs would include:

I Will Follow
    When Love Comes to Town
    One
    Miss Sarajevo (actually by the Passengers featuring Bono)
    Staring at the Sun
    Elevation
    City of Blinding Lights - a song I had the honour of getting to know on holiday in Ireland in 2005!

I love this song.:)

And where was your trip over here? Where did you go?:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love this song.:)

And where was your trip over here? Where did you go?:D

It is indeed an under-rated song of theirs.:cool:

In 2005 I stayed in Dublin, Sligo and Galway, and also had a daytrip to Letterkenny. On my previous holiday in Ireland in 2001 I stayed in Cork and Dublin but travelled between them via Galway and had a daytrip to Dundalk.

I reckon on returning to Dublin for my 10th anniversary year next year and to be there on June 25th for personal reasons.;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    OP here.........Remember my brother watching ZOO TV on TV when I was 6, and just thought "Wow, there cool!!!!"

The first song of their's I clearly remember is Beautiful Day - remember singing it in the car.

Really got into them about 5 years ago.

Favourite albums are Achtung Baby, Zooropa, ATYCLB, HTDAAB and NLOTH. Achtung Baby probaly is my favourite

Favourite songs are Stay (Faraway, so close), Original Of the Species, Vertigo, Even Better Than The Real Thing, Mysterious Ways and City of Blinding Lights. Stay is my all time song
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually The Pasengers featuring Bono

For those not in the know, 'The Passengers' are Bono Edge, Adam & Larry with help from Brian Eno.U2 in disguise :D

One of my favourites from the Passengers album is 'Slug'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0y4E-kkZDiE
  • Options
    Forum Member
    For those not in the know, 'The Passengers' are Bono Edge, Adam & Larry with help from Brian Eno.U2 in disguise :D

One of my favourites from the Passengers album is 'Slug'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0y4E-kkZDiE

:D

They had a way of escaping the tag. Good song, too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    There new album is supposed to be coming out on May 27th (Ireland) and May 30th (UK), being produced by Dangermouse..... can't wait to get it
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Irishlad10 wrote: »
    There new album is supposed to be coming out on May 27th (Ireland) and May 30th (UK), being produced by Dangermouse..... can't wait to get it

Magnificent news! And Bono's birthday on May 10th will of course get us in the mood for U2's new album.:cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Irishlad10 wrote: »

Same here!:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw U2 live when I was 3 on their Popmart tour in Belfast. My memories are pretty hazy, but i can remember thinking the giant M was the oddest thing I had ever seen. Better yet, I saw it for free :D. I was living in a flat very near the gardens that they were playing and there was a hill near my flat that I could camp out on and still watch the show with a decent view for free. I'm proud of my first concert lol :cool: Been a fan ever since. favourite song probably is City of Blinding Lights, gorgeous song!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    A May release date for their new album looks unlikely :cry: wish they would release it and stop tempting us :p ............when it was first mentioned it was supposed to be out at the end of 2009
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've heard reports recently saying no new album for a while :S :(

Anyhow, cannot wait to see their Glastonbury performance! Wish I was going
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Autumn 2012 at least for the new album :(, looks like Dangermouse is the main producer......at least we'll have the Achtung Baby remaster and possibly Best of 2000-2010 to look forward to :)