Elton and David have a baby boy

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i4u wrote: »
    The California clinic involved has posted the following....

There's speculation the child may have two mothers.

From a 2005 Times article....

Interestingly....

Really? People can choose the SEX of their offspring? That sounds like dicing with nature a bit too much for my liking. :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 286
    Forum Member
    marvola45 wrote: »
    That has to be one of the most horrible posts out of all of the horrible posts on this topic so far, and adding a nice little smiley to the end doesn't make it any better.

'Grows to love the child'??? What exactly is so different about Elton John that means he wouldn't already love the child, like any other expectant parent? Why is he being accused of only wanting a child due to some 'passing fad' and not because of simple biological urges like anyone else who wants children?

This child has been brought into the world because both of his parents desperately wanted him.

The ignorance displayed by some posters is actually quite shocking to witness.

That was not a horrible post, by any means, and i take offence to being called ignorant.

As far as im aware( feel free to correct me if im wrong), he never had or wanted children when he was married to rennee.

As far as im aware he didnt want children when first married to david, because he said he was too old, and set in his ways. Maybe he as changed his mind, and thats fair enough.

What i also meant was for someone who as reached 65 years of age, doing their own thing, coming and going as they please, and never having the resonsiblity of a child its a hard decision to make.

What i meant by growing to love the child was that i hope he doesnt find it hard work at his age, and think what the heck have i done, girls who get pregnant at a young age, or even women who have a child at a later age, sometimes think that.
    Its not all a bed of roses you know, and he his also not known for his patience. I guess we shall see how it all pans out.
  • BanditaBandita Posts: 3,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marvola45 wrote: »
    That has to be one of the most horrible posts out of all of the horrible posts on this topic so far, and adding a nice little smiley to the end doesn't make it any better.

'Grows to love the child'??? What exactly is so different about Elton John that means he wouldn't already love the child, like any other expectant parent? Why is he being accused of only wanting a child due to some 'passing fad' and not because of simple biological urges like anyone else who wants children?

This child has been brought into the world because both of his parents desperately wanted him.

The ignorance displayed by some posters is actually quite shocking to witness.

See I think a lot of us have children because we really wanted them isn't that the desirable state? So what's the difference, Elton and David really wanted him and perhaps have been trying for years. My 17 year old niece really wanted a baybee and had one just like that easily and no waiting she thankfully continues her education (at uni) and now her Mother does most of the mothering, but the baby thrives, he has two mothers an uncle and grandad in the household who adore him, very in addition to a similar aged auntie, much like the people some assume will care for this baby ie nannies.
    Tulip19 wrote: »
    What does him being gay have do do with anything? :confused:

Nothing, he will adapt to parenthood I expect just like any first time parent.
  • j4Rosej4Rose Posts: 5,482
    Forum Member
    That was not a horrible post, by any means, and i take offence to being called ignorant.

As far as im aware( feel free to correct me if im wrong), he never had or wanted children when he was married to rennee.

As far as im aware he didnt want children when first married to david, because he said he was too old, and set in his ways. Maybe he as changed his mind, and thats fair enough.

What i also meant was for someone who as reached 65 years of age, doing their own thing, coming and going as they please, and never having the resonsiblity of a child its a hard decision to make.

What i meant by growing to love the child was that i hope he doesnt find it hard work at his age, and think what the heck have i done, girls who get pregnant at a young age, or even women who have a child at a later age, sometimes think that.
    Its not all a bed of roses you know, and he his also not known for his patience. I guess we shall see how it all pans out.

Those are all fair points. Some people seem to think that being a parent is a right, and that shouldn't be the case at all.

I still think that he would have had kids by now if he had truly wanted them. He is known for his whims, and this could well be another one. I also think that he probably lives in a very selfish world, where all of his desires are met immediately. This is just another example - he donated some cash and out popped a baby.

I hope it all works out for them, but I do feel a bit sorry for the child.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 286
    Forum Member
    j4Rose wrote: »
    Those are all fair points. Some people seem to think that being a parent is a right, and that shouldn't be the case at all.

I still think that he would have had kids by now if he had truly wanted them. He is known for his whims, and this could well be another one. I also think that he probably lives in a very selfish world, where all of his desires are met immediately. This is just another example - he donated some cash and out popped a baby.

I hope it all works out for them, but I do feel a bit sorry for the child.

I agree, i said originally, that is ok for rich people to pretty much order what they like, but hey ho hes worked for it, so thats fair enough.

I agree if he would have wanted children he would have had em before now. I just hope he clears his schedule so he can spend some time with zach, but it doesnt look like he as :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,345
    Forum Member
    No congrats from me. I think its disgusting Elton was allowed to adopt. So many things wrong with this situation. So selfish but it seems having money gets you a baby.

Wonder how many nannies he'll get to raise the poor kid.
  • Chilli DragonChilli Dragon Posts: 24,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No congrats from me. I think its disgusting Elton was allowed to adopt. So many things wrong with this situation. So selfish but it seems having money gets you a baby.

Wonder how many nannies he'll get to raise the poor kid.

But he didn't 'adopt' - this is his 'biological' child so there is no legislating for genes (and Jeremy Kyle is glad of it, I'm sure).

However, like any straight couple, I imagine Elton and David will still have an army of nannies and the usual but that is not a gay thing, just a celebrity thing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,345
    Forum Member
    But he didn't 'adopt' - this is his 'biological' child so there is no legislating for genes (and Jeremy Kyle is glad of it, I'm sure).

However, like any straight couple, I imagine Elton and David will still have an army of nannies and the usual but that is not a gay thing, just a celebrity thing.

Is it his "biological" child though? might be his partners? In that case, i see it as Elton adopting.

Having an army of nannies is one of the things wrong about this situation, and i know its a celeb thing which is very sad. I can't help but think Elton has had a notion of having an ickle cute baby and will get bored of it soon, cue the nannies.
  • Gigi4Gigi4 Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it his "biological" child though? might be his partners? In that case, i see it as Elton adopting.

Having an army of nannies is one of the things wrong about this situation, and i know its a celeb thing which is very sad. I can't help but think Elton has had a notion of having an ickle cute baby and will get bored of it soon, cue the nannies.

If it's his partner's biological child, it's his child too as they are in a civil partnership. Not the same as a child who is the biological off spring of two unrelated people who another couple adopts.
    Yes, celebrities have nannies and babysitters, but it doesn't necessarily mean they are bored with or don't care about their children.
    They have job and professional responsibilities to their fans and record labels etc. Someone has to take care of the child while they are working. Everyone likes to point a finger at celebrities for having nannies but who really spends every waking hour with their children. Normal people have babysitters while they are working or even to go out to dinner sometimes.
    I find it interesting how people hold celebrities to a higher standard than they hold themselves.
  • i4ui4u Posts: 54,937
    Forum Member
    Really? People can choose the SEX of their offspring? That sounds like dicing with nature a bit too much for my liking. :confused:

I won't give the link but this a service one clinic claims to provide...
    Most people who come to our clinic for gender selection choose to do so for family balancing reasons.

... embryos produced from eggs and sperm of the parents, or donors, are carefully analyzed in our laboratory to determine gender.

....In a delicate process we safely remove one or two of the cells from a selected embryo and analyze its chromosomal make up.

This allows us to determine whether the embryo is female or male. Only embryos of the desired gender are transferred into the uterus.....

.... there may be rare instances where there are no embryos produced of the desired gender....we check again.... If the results are still the same, the only option is to have a repeat IVF cycle.
  • andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    What a load of differing views this forum has produced. I get the feeling the main bone of contention seems to be the fact that Elton is very old to start a family and that because of his wealth he "bought" the child. It is a biological fact that you need a male and a female in order to reproduce. If it was natures way to enable homosexuals to have children then they would have the required birth organs as well and as they quite clearly don't then surely that means that they are not meant to have children no matter how much they may want to.
    A true story - one or my relatives married, had two children and then decided she was gay. She left her kids with their father and set up home with a series of girlfriends untill settling down. She then decided she wanted her kids back so moved them back in. Just as they were getting settled she decided that she wanted a change of lifstyle, dumped her kids again and moved abroad. Selfish or what. I sincerely hope that Elton and his partner love this new baby and bring him up properly, but please let no one be under the illusion that a baby brought up by two parents of the same sex is normal. It is not.
  • lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    andy1231 wrote: »
    What a load of differing views this forum has produced. I get the feeling the main bone of contention seems to be the fact that Elton is very old to start a family and that because of his wealth he "bought" the child. It is a biological fact that you need a male and a female in order to reproduce. If it was natures way to enable homosexuals to have children then they would have the required birth organs as well and as they quite clearly don't then surely that means that they are not meant to have children no matter how much they may want to.
    A true story - one or my relatives married, had two children and then decided she was gay. She left her kids with their father and set up home with a series of girlfriends untill settling down. She then decided she wanted her kids back so moved them back in. Just as they were getting settled she decided that she wanted a change of lifstyle, dumped her kids again and moved abroad. Selfish or what. I sincerely hope that Elton and his partner love this new baby and bring him up properly, but please let no one be under the illusion that a baby brought up by two parents of the same sex is normal. It is not.

So, that some irresponsible relative of yours behaved like a selfish prat is evidence that gay people are fickle and incapable of providing a loving caring home for a child? What an intelligent and well-thought through view. :rolleyes:

Your perception of normal is puritanical and seriously ignorant in the 21st century.
  • missfrankiecatmissfrankiecat Posts: 8,388
    Forum Member
    Gigi4 wrote: »
    If it's his partner's biological child, it's his child too as they are in a civil partnership.

Actually, in this country it's not. Whichever of the two men is not the biological father will have to obtain a court order to get parental responsibility. Of course, they may choose to make America their primary residence.
    Forum Member
    lexi22 wrote: »
    So, that some irresponsible relative of yours behaved like a selfish prat is evidence that gay people are fickle and incapable of providing a loving caring home for a child? What an intelligent and well-thought through view. :rolleyes:

Your perception of normal is puritanical and seriously ignorant in the 21st century.

I wasn't saying that at all. I was merely relating a story. I might have guessed that soomeone would over react to anyone who dared to suggest a different view from their own. Interesting that you didn't disagree about any of the rest of my post and no, before you claim it, I am not homophobic and have many friends who are gay/lesbian I just hold the belief, as do many people, that the best way to bring up a child is within a mother/father male/female environment.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wasn't saying that at all. I was merely relating a story. I might have guessed that soomeone would over react to anyone who dared to suggest a different view from their own. Interesting that you didn't disagree about any of the rest of my post and no, before you claim it, I am not homophobic and have many friends who are gay/lesbian I just hold the belief, as do many people, that the best way to bring up a child is within a mother/father male/female environment.

But surely the point of your story was to illustrate the ficklesness and selfishness of gay people? Why else would you think it relevant to post unless you felt it was representative of gay people's behaviour?

I didn't disagree or comment on the rest of your post because I didn't think it worth my time. And I never suggested you were homophobic or not entitled to your opinion, I merely disagreed with your idea of normality.
  • Froggie72Froggie72 Posts: 5,733
    Forum Member
    asp746 wrote: »
    i wonder who the biological dad is?

i cant bring myself to congratulate them bearing in mind america and the world in general has plenty of children crying out for adoption and also i think they're a bit old for a newborn.

Remember that Elton wanted to adopt but was turned down because of his age... :mad: He's not too old for a newborn... many older men father children with younger women.... and David Furnish is quite young enough to look after the baby too...

I say well done to them and I wish all three every happiness as a family.
    Forum Member
    lexi22 wrote: »
    But surely the point of your story was to illustrate the ficklesness and selfishness of gay people? Why else would you think it relevant to post unless you felt it was representative of gay people's behaviour?

I didn't disagree or comment on the rest of your post because I didn't think it worth my time. And I never suggested you were homophobic or not entitled to your opinion, I merely disagreed with your idea of normality.

In that case I apologise for posting the story it was NEVER ment to imply that gay people were fickle or selfish - but how do you define "normal" is it normal as in what is normal for an individual or normal as in normal for the majority of society ? Not trying to be argumentative but genuinly interested as to what peoples views are.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In that case I apologise for posting the story it was NEVER ment to imply that gay people were fickle or selfish - but how do you define "normal" is it normal as in what is normal for an individual or normal as in normal for the majority of society ? Not trying to be argumentative but genuinly interested as to what peoples views are.

I just don't like the use of normal when it's used to imply that something else - in this case, a gay couple bringing up a child - is abnormal, as you did above. What each of us sees as normal and everyday is of course going to vary but when normal is used in the way you use it, as a judgement, then it smacks of bigotry and intolerance. JMO.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think that what is normal for one person isn't normal for another, and that's how it's always been, it's just that society has always looked upon the nuclear family as being the best way forward. I would agree with you that the best case scenario would be for the child to have a father and a mother, or certainly a good father figure and mother figure in their lives, since it's my opinion that a child needs a good male and female balance, but this isn't always possible.

I think Elton and David are a loving couple - and a stable couple also, and they have a lot of love to give any offspring. I just hope that they introduce a strong mother figure into the child's life.
  • Gigi4Gigi4 Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think it's the best case scenario for a child to have two parents of different sexes, but I do think it's best for them to have two parents of whatever sex. I think it's good that Elton and David adopted this child as a couple. If one's working the other can be there for the child. I know there are a lot of single parents out there, but that's often really hard on kids.
    It would not be as good if Elton was single and adopted a child. But that's he part of a couple gives the child the same feeling of family as a heterosexual couple.
    I don't really buy into the idea that you need a male and female figure. I think that buys into the idea that women and men are essentially different when they're not. We are all humans and individuals and we shouldn't place too much emphasis on gender and rigid gender roles.
    Of course, the child should have women in its life but I'm not sure he should see one of them as his actual mother.
  • Froggie72Froggie72 Posts: 5,733
    Forum Member
    I think that what is normal for one person isn't normal for another, and that's how it's always been, it's just that society has always looked upon the nuclear family as being the best way forward. I would agree with you that the best case scenario would be for the child to have a father and a mother, or certainly a good father figure and mother figure in their lives, since it's my opinion that a child needs a good male and female balance, but this isn't always possible.

I think Elton and David are a loving couple - and a stable couple also, and they have a lot of love to give any offspring. I just hope that they introduce a strong mother figure into the child's life.

Which society? if you go back in time and travel the world a bit, you'll see that there are all different kinds of "societies" and the nuclear family unit is by no means the standard... look at nature as well (as created by God) to see that these things vary from one species to the other - mankind being just another animal species, btw...

I don't disagree with what you're saying btw... but I'd rather see a child raised by two LOVING parents, whichever gender they are, than being born unwanted by an unloving heterosexual couple...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Froggie72 wrote: »
    Which society? if you go back in time and travel the world a bit, you'll see that there are all different kinds of "societies" and the nuclear family unit is by no means the standard... look at nature as well (as created by God) to see that these things vary from one species to the other - mankind being just another animal species, btw...

I don't disagree with what you're saying btw... but I'd rather see a child raised by two LOVING parents, whichever gender they are, than being born unwanted by an unloving heterosexual couple...

I think that as a rule society tends to look on the ideal family unit as being a man, a woman and 2.4 children, but like I said in my post, that's not always possible, for various reasons.

I have nothing against Elton and David being parents, I mentioned Elton's age, but I'm sure the boy will be brought up with plenty of love and will want for nothing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think that as a rule society tends to look on the ideal family unit as being a man, a woman and 2.4 children, but like I said in my post, that's not always possible, for various reasons.

I have nothing against Elton and David being parents, I mentioned Elton's age, but I'm sure the boy will be brought up with plenty of love and will want for nothing.

That would be fairly modern, Western societies. In many societies, men have absolutely nothing to do with their children, especially female children. The kiddies are raised amongst a whole host of extended family and other female-oriented groupings. In some Native American societies, the dad doesn't even know what kids are what. He'll kinda go "which one of you is my kid?" and whoever says "you're my dad," the dad will accept. In most Eastern and African cultures, grandparents play massive roles in bringing up children. This idea of a mother staying home whilst dad works is also a fairly modern, Western ideal for affluent people.

I think this is really the reason why I have absolutely no problem with the way this child's family is formed. Children have and always will form multiple attachments to people without any underlying issues. Most of us spent a hell of a lot of time away from our parents once we reached a certain age, and we came through it just fine.

But like you said, the nuclear family is pushed as an ideal with our culture, so even if we point out many more cultures where this is not the norm and the societies aren't experiencing strife, it will not change people's attitudes toward the nuclear family being ideal.
  • MuttsnuttsMuttsnutts Posts: 3,506
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [QUOTE=Gigi4;46957921]I don't think it's the best case scenario for a child to have two parents of different sexes, but I do think it's best for them to have two parents of whatever sex. I think it's good that Elton and David adopted this child as a couple. If one's working the other can be there for the child. I know there are a lot of single parents out there, but that's often really hard on kids.
    It would not be as good if Elton was single and adopted a child. But that's he part of a couple gives the child the same feeling of family as a heterosexual couple.
    I don't really buy into the idea that you need a male and female figure. I think that buys into the idea that women and men are essentially different when they're not. We are all humans and individuals and we shouldn't place too much emphasis on gender and rigid gender roles.
    Of course, the child should have women in its life but I'm not sure he should see one of them as his actual mother.[/QUOTE]

You make it sound like its a silly old fashioned idea to have a mother & father. I think you're going a bit far there with the Political Correctness. A mother has a vital role for a baby, in humanity and in nature. It won't go out of fashion just because that's what they tell you is the progressive way to think these days. Have people been brainwashed? The woman is the one who is attached to the baby & gives birth to it, creates breast milk for it. Sorry, but it IS the ideal. Don't argue with nature. Women and men ARE essentially different. They are supposed to be.
  • missfrankiecatmissfrankiecat Posts: 8,388
    Forum Member
    That would be fairly modern, Western societies. In many societies, men have absolutely nothing to do with their children, especially female children. The kiddies are raised amongst a whole host of extended family and other female-oriented groupings. In some Native American societies, the dad doesn't even know what kids are what. He'll kinda go "which one of you is my kid?" and whoever says "you're my dad," the dad will accept. In most Eastern and African cultures, grandparents play massive roles in bringing up children. This idea of a mother staying home whilst dad works is also a fairly modern, Western ideal for affluent people.

I think this is really the reason why I have absolutely no problem with the way this child's family is formed. Children have and always will form multiple attachments to people without any underlying issues. Most of us spent a hell of a lot of time away from our parents once we reached a certain age, and we came through it just fine.

But like you said, the nuclear family is pushed as an ideal with our culture, so even if we point out many more cultures where this is not the norm and the societies aren't experiencing strife, it will not change people's attitudes toward the nuclear family being ideal.

I'm no anthropologist but, other than monastic communities, I can't think of any culture off hand where young children are raised solely by men, although, as you rightly point out the opposite is often true. And, in monastic traditions, boys are past infancy before they are handed over to exclusively male care. I'm quite sure this child will have female nannies so it's not an issue but it is interesting to consider why men do not/cannot raise children without female input (Freud would have a few theories!)