Is Tom Daley Gay

Comments

• MiddleotroadMiddleotroad Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Monster101 wrote: »
    he has said that he gets called gay all the time on the net.
    he said its not offensive and if he was gay he would be out and proud and not be ashamed, but hes not.
    unfortunatly :(

I hope that's true. Much of the speculation on the net towards Tom is in a persistant manner reminiscent of that given to the swimmer Rebecca Adlington.

I read Tom had to change schools when he was younger due to bullying. Taking a wild guess, at least some of that could have been homophobic. So it's good news if all this stuff is not offending him or causing any angst.

As for speculating over a person's sexuality in general, it happens a lot of course. If the person is in the public eye, they neccessarily get to know about this and it becomes more of a challenge to them to come out as gay. So if you don't want to be challenged in this way, you avoid careers with a public profile. It's slightly different in Tom's case as he was so young when he first came into the public eye, he kind of didn't get the choice of avoiding speculation in the same way an older person would have.
  • ChristmasCakeChristmasCake Posts: 26,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HenryBane wrote: »
    I guess you missed the post where I replied, there is no question to answer. Anyway, carry on speculating about a young man's sexuality, it's quite telling.

Do show me where I've speculated about anything.

There is a question to answer, it's the one you keep dodging, for fairly obvious reasons.
  • HenryBaneHenryBane Posts: 4,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do show me where I've speculated about anything.

There is a question to answer, it's the one you keep dodging, for fairly obvious reasons.

Do I, so what's this then?
    Answer the question.

Why is it fine to speculate someone is straight, but not gay?

My ANSWER
    No-one speculates if anyone is straight, so there is no question to answer.

And could you explain the 'fairly obvious reasons' because the 'fairly obvious reasons' aren't fairly obvious to me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BomoLad wrote: »
    So is your insinuative use of the expression 'young man'.

Well he's not an old man, nor a middle aged man. If you like speculating about the sexual orientation of a young man then carry on, it's a bit creepy though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well he's not an old man, nor a middle aged man. If you like speculating about the sexual orientation of a young man then carry on, it's a bit creepy though.

Not creepy, it furthers the cause of gay rights.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Trying to out a guy who says he's not gay is furthering gay rights? It's actually letting the side down and living up to stereotypes.

People should be free to be whatever they want to be without the fear of ridicule or speculation, a goal many gays try to strive for.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trying to out a guy who says he's not gay is furthering gay rights? It's actually letting the side down and living up to stereotypes.

People should be free to be whatever they want to be without the fear of ridicule or speculation, a goal many gays try to strive for

Can't see anyone here literally trying to out him. Openly speculating about the sexuality of someone in the public eye furthers the cause of certain sections of the gay rights movement. Whether this is in the interests of the welfare of all gay persons everywhere is another matter. Living up to what stereotypes?

I think the theory is for an end result where equality is achieved via zero tolerance towards any form of hiding of anyone's sexuality.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You might need to explain that in further detail
  • methodyguymethodyguy Posts: 6,044
    Forum Member
    Can't see anyone here literally trying to out him. Openly speculating about the sexuality of someone in the public eye furthers the cause of certain sections of the gay rights movement. Whether this is in the interests of the welfare of all gay persons everywhere is another matter. Living up to what stereotypes?

I think the theory is for an end result where equality is achieved via zero tolerance towards any form of hiding of anyone's sexuality.

Surely if someone speculates about wether a person is gay is only having the opposite effect it does maybe even stop people from coming out. As I have said before no one speculates to wether someone is straight so therefore why the need about this constant speculation over whether a person is gay or not. Instead of guaranteeing equality it in fact has the opposite effect.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    methodyguy wrote: »
    Surely if someone speculates about wether a person is gay is only having the opposite effect it does maybe even stop people from coming out. As I have said before no one speculates to wether someone is straight so therefore why the need about this constant speculation over whether a person is gay or not. Instead of guaranteeing equality it in fact has the opposite effect.

In practise the speculation puts pressure on a person. In theory speculating over 'gay' and 'straight', all things being equal, means there should be no pressure. But perhaps, if you could get every person who is gay or bisexual to see this as no big deal, and openly admit it, this could include so many people any stigma is lifted and we're all freewheelin'.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In practise the speculation puts pressure on a person. In theory speculating over 'gay' and 'straight', all things being equal, means there should be no pressure. But perhaps, if you could get every person who is gay or bisexual to see this as no big deal, and openly admit it, this could include so many people any stigma is lifted and we're all freewheelin'.

You're assuming everyone's reason to stay in the closet is the same. I know one guy who is the son of a Pastor, coming out would make life difficult for him, may even be ostracised by his family if he does. I think it's his right to stay in the closet if he wishes to.

Tom Daley, even though he is in the public eye, isn't an movie star or pop star whose career and high earnings as a pin-up and fantasy for females will be over if he comes out, he's just someone so good at diving he's representing his country at competitions. He's not trying to fool people, if that's what he feels at the moment then it's up to everyone else to accept it and move on.

Remember that not every gay guy comes out on their 18th birthday, for some it takes time to accept themselves as gay, many will feel more comfortable saying they are bisexual, some come out in later years after being married and raising children.

Stereotypes are that we're all obsessed with sex and that we enjoy salacious gossiping about others, which is evident in this thread.
  • wallsterwallster Posts: 17,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're assuming everyone's reason to stay in the closet is the same. I know one guy who is the son of a Pastor, coming out would make life difficult for him, may even be ostracised by his family if he does. I think it's his right to stay in the closet if he wishes to.

Tom Daley, even though he is in the public eye, isn't an movie star or pop star whose career and high earnings as a pin-up and fantasy for females will be over if he comes out, he's just someone so good at diving he's representing his country at competitions. He's not trying to fool people, if that's what he feels at the moment then it's up to everyone else to accept it and move on.

Remember that not every gay guy comes out on their 18th birthday, for some it takes time to accept themselves as gay, many will feel more comfortable saying they are bisexual, some come out in later years after being married and raising children.

Stereotypes are that we're all obsessed with sex and that we enjoy salacious gossiping about others, which is evident in this thread.

Would you be happy if a child of yours was gay?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wallster wrote: »

You're assuming I'm straight.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're assuming I'm straight.

Is that assumption wrong?

In any case, gay people can have children too.

So would you like to answer the question I posed...
    Forum Member

Remember that not every gay guy comes out on their 18th
    birthday, for some it takes time to accept themselves as many will feel more comfortable saying they are bisexual, some come out in later years after being married and raising children.

Very well said I agree with everything you said. If a person wants to come out surely it should be up to them. I think these are mostly good times for gay people but homophobia does still exist and I think that speculating wether a person is gay is a form of it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Very.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very.

You still haven't answered my question?
    Forum Member

In any case, gay people can have children to.

So would you like to answer the question I posed...

That is no ones business but the poster not everyone is out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That is no ones business but the poster not everyone is out.

He is quite able to answer for himself - and he has done so - at least with regards to his own sexuality.
    Forum Member
    He is quite able to answer for himself - and he has done so - at least with regards to his own sexuality.

Why do you want to know if the poster is gay or straight?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You still haven't answered my question?

So when you ask someone if an assumption is wrong and they reply 'Very', that isn't answering the question?

I'll leave you to your assumptions, there seems to be a lot on this thread.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why do you want to know if the poster is gay or straight?

I didn't want to know that. I wanted, and still want, to know if he would be happy if a child of his was gay.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So when you ask someone if an assumption is wrong and they reply 'Very', that isn't answering the question?

I'll leave you to your assumptions, there seems to be a lot on this thread.

The question you haven't answered is - and I will repeat it again:

Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't want to know that. I wanted, and still want, to know if he would be happy if a child of his was gay.

What has the question got to do with trying to out Tom Daley as gay?

Considering I support people's right to be who they want to be then why would I not be happy? Why have you read my posts and somehow come to the conclusion that I may not like a child of mine to be gay?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What has the question got to do with trying to out Tom Daley as gay?

Considering I support people's right to be who they want to be then why would I not be happy? Why have you read my posts and somehow come to the conclusion that I may not like a child of mine to be gay?

A simple "yes" or "no" answer will suffice...
This discussion has been closed.