Doc Martin (Part 17 — Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ReneeBird wrote: »
    "frustrated lovers?"

Yes, maybe an odd choice of words, but I feel like their relationship has been frustrating, especially for Louisa, but perhaps also for Martin. They definitely love each other -- but they can't get their relationship onto a smoother track. I think they gambled that loving was enough to finesse the hard work of marriage. They're seeing that it's not. S7 will see them take steps to work this through, I believe and hope, if not this episode.

Although, I do hasten to add, I think we have seen evidence that they are each trying to make changes in order to make things better. Martin has been trying to be accomodative to Louisa, and she has been a bit more forebearing than earlier.

But these were sort of baby steps, and didn't come close to addressing core issues that keep them frustrated that things aren't going better and more smoothly between them.

Of course, an argument could be made that up until the scene in the hospital, Martin wasn't even aware that things weren't going well!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    I don't have any doubt that Morwenna and Al will get together --if not in this series, then in S7. And they started out the best way, too -- as friends. That was not the case with either Pauline or Elaine, I don't think. So, it will happen and it will be fine.

Now, as to the other lovebirds -- hopefully we will see them become more supportive friends and partners, as well as frustrated lovers, in the next series.

I am wary also, and will be a bit annoyed if we have to wait until S7 for a resolution. But I have every faith that better days are ahead for the Ellinghams -- what is the point of the whole series, if there aren't? -- at least in my mind. I don't want to see DM "healed" but too late for his relationship with Louisa to recover, and I will not, refuse to, believe that will happen.

I'm wary too, but I like this statement from a preview:
    "But a long overdue confrontation with his dreadful mother prompts him to finally try and behave like a normal human being for once in his life."

Here's a link to the article: http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-previews/what-time-doc-martin-on-2473897
  • Options
    mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, maybe an odd choice of words, but I feel like their relationship has been frustrating, especially for Louisa, but perhaps also for Martin. They definitely love each other -- but they can't get their relationship onto a smoother track. I think they gambled that loving was enough to finesse the hard work of marriage. They're seeing that it's not. S7 will see them take steps to work this through, I believe and hope, if not this episode.

Although, I do hasten to add, I think we have seen evidence that they are each trying to make changes in order to make things better. Martin has been trying to be accomodative to Louisa, and she has been a bit more forebearing than earlier.

But these were sort of baby steps, and didn't come close to addressing core issues that keep them frustrated that things aren't going better and more smoothly between them.

Of course, an argument could be made that up until the scene in the hospital, Martin wasn't even aware that things weren't going well!

I've been so disappointed by the lack of originality, the repetitiveness of themes and plots, the inconsistent writing, and the annoying and depressing tone of this season, that I'm more cynical than hysterical about tonight's outcome.

I just want another E1--something that is totally enjoyable, makes me smile, amuses me, and that also shows me something about their relationship and them growing together. (Maybe Mrs. T will show up again to paw Martin all over ;-) ) ;)

I'm not up for weeping over what happens tonight, the show has not been good enough to cause that effect in me--if it is too melodramatic, or too melancholic my response will be to roll my eyes, without having to blow my nose.

But, I am crossing my fingers and hoping the show at least can redeem itself with Lothian writing another more light-hearted but "meaningful" ending.
  • Options
    NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Biffpup wrote: »
    I'm wary too, but I like this statement from a preview:
    "But a long overdue confrontation with his dreadful mother prompts him to finally try and behave like a normal human being for once in his life."

Here's a link to the article: http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-previews/what-time-doc-martin-on-2473897
    Jack Lothian does do "touching" well, I must say. I think we're in good hands.
  • Options
    Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jack Lothian does do "touching" well, I must say. I think we're in good hands.

This is the line from that review that has me skipping with joy:
    Doc Martin may be colder than a prawn ring in an Iceland freezer cabinet, but this finale proves to be surprisingly touching.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mmDerdekea wrote: »
    I've been so disappointed by the lack of originality, the repetitiveness of themes and plots, the inconsistent writing, and the annoying and depressing tone of this season, that I'm more cynical than hysterical about tonight's outcome.

I just want another E1--something that is totally enjoyable, makes me smile, amuses me, and that also shows me something about their relationship and them growing together. (Maybe Mrs. T will show up again to paw Martin all over ;-) ) ;)

I'm not up for weeping over what happens tonight, the show has not been good enough to cause that effect in me--if it is too melodramatic, or too melancholic my response will be to roll my eyes, without having to blow my nose.

But, I am crossing my fingers and hoping the show at least can redeem itself with Lothian writing another more light-hearted but "meaningful" ending.

I have found that it's not always best to post my first reaction after watching an episode. Doc Martin has always had so many layers to it, and, after watching episode 7 again last night with my husband, I saw it differently.
    I'm not saying that I love this latest Series (I don't even know if I like it), however, it is intriguing and I do find myself thinking about it during the day (and at night, middle of the night, or early morning!) about different scenes, and what they might mean. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes, Lothian as writer gives me some cause for hope. I'm a romantic who wants our Doc and Louisa together. As important to me is a show that is well-written and directed. Preparing for the worst, but hoping for the best. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ha! How true. It's like Martin is in a fog, his own world, that he can't focus on anything else. Not Louisa, not even James Henry. It's amazing that he can still take care of his patients.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 199
    Forum Member

You've said this as a preface to many of your posts lately. Being a bit repetitive yourself, don't you think?

That being said given all we knew about this series as it was being filmed none of what has occurred should've been a surprise to you. It is obvious they had to do a massive rewrite of a couple of episodes to cover for MC's illness and they had to work it into the scripts to cover for the fact that he looked like a cadaver. Considering that I think they did as good of a job as they could. They couldn't wait six months until he was healthy again unless they pushed back the air date of the series and that would have been impossible, unless they wanted to lose a metric buttload of money for breach of contract. ITV had already announced the airdates.

As to 'repetitiveness' I've pointed out frequently that they need to alter the direction of the show because there are only so many 'wacky illnesses' that can occur in a town of less than 1,000 people. There are only so many story lines that can be generated with the minor characters they have. The show became repetitive in series three in that aspect. Ye gods, the residents of PW are some of the most clumsy and sickly people I've ever seen and if a school had that many 'emergencies' per pupil the government would be in there poking around to find out why.

The show has to expand to include more characters and it has to expand in order to give DM some different things to do besides pulling peas out of noses. In this series they have added/brought back characters and expanded other character's roles. In order to reinvigorate the show it will have to change and I suspect the majority of you will be howling about that if they do because the one thing that you want to see isn't going to happen. I know the lot of you would want it to be nothing but an hour long snog and sex fest. You might be surprised to find out that the vast majority of people viewing this program aren't obsessed about the 'pajamas of steel' like so many are here and I am sure the Q numbers and other marketing research that both BP and ITV does says the same thing. I also suspect that MC's days of being the 'ass man' of TV is over and he doesn't want to do scenes like that anymore. Why? He has a 13 year old daughter who would have to listen to her school mates and friends give her the gears about it. He and his wife own and produce the show and they have a large say in that matter and if MC and PB don't want those scenes in the show they aren't going to be there.

Finally I am going to use a quote Teri Martires Flores over on the FB spoilers group used. It is quite appropriate in this situation.

"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens."
    J. R. R. Tolkien
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You've said this as a preface to many of your posts lately. Being a bit repetitive yourself, don't you think?

That being said given all we knew about this series as it was being filmed none of what has occurred should've been a surprise to you. It is obvious they had to do a massive rewrite of a couple of episodes to cover for MC's illness and they had to work it into the scripts to cover for the fact that he looked like a cadaver. Considering that I think they did as good of a job as they could. They couldn't wait six months until he was healthy again unless they pushed back the air date of the series and that would have been impossible, unless they wanted to lose a metric buttload of money for breach of contract. ITV had already announced the airdates.

As to 'repetitiveness' I've pointed out frequently that they need to alter the direction of the show because there are only so many 'wacky illnesses' that can occur in a town of less than 1,000 people. There are only so many story lines that can be generated with the minor characters they have. The show became repetitive in series three in that aspect. Ye gods, the residents of PW are some of the most clumsy and sickly people I've ever seen and if a school had that many 'emergencies' per pupil the government would be in there poking around to find out why.

The show has to expand to include more characters and it has to expand in order to give DM some different things to do besides pulling peas out of noses. In this series they have added/brought back characters and expanded other character's roles. In order to reinvigorate the show it will have to change and I suspect the majority of you will be howling about if they do because the one thing that you want to see isn't going to happen. I know the lot of you would want it to be nothing but an hour long snog and sex fest. You might be surprised to find out that the vast majority of people viewing this program aren't obsessed about the 'pajamas of steel' like so many are here and I am sure the Q numbers and other marketing research that both BP and ITV does says the same thing. I also suspect that MC's days of being the 'ass man' of TV is over and he doesn't want to do scenes like that anymore. Why? He has a 13 year old daughter who would have to listen to her school mates and friends give her the gears about it. He and his wife own and produce the show and they have a large say in that matter and if MC and PB don't want those scenes in the show they aren't going to be there.

Finally I am going to use a quote Teri Martires Flores over on the FB spoilers group used. It is quite appropriate in this situation.

"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens."
    J. R. R. Tolkien

Adelie, you sound angry. I welcome your thoughts, but I do wish to dispute what you've said about a "sex fest." You're setting up a false scenario - a straw man - in order to knock it down. Having a look or a touch or two or reference to some physical intimacy is a far cry from an hour-long sex fest. Although if they decided to snog for an hour, I'd pay attention. THAT would be a different direction for the show, and amortized over the 40 or so episodes, really wouldn't be that much sex. :D
  • Options
    dcdmfandcdmfan Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Adelie, you sound angry. I welcome your thoughts, but I do wish to dispute what you've said about a "sex fest." You're setting up a false scenario - a straw man - in order to knock it down. Having a look or a touch or two or reference to some physical intimacy is a far cry from an hour-long sex fest. Although if they decided to snog for an hour, I'd pay attention. THAT would be a different direction for the show, and amortized over the 40 or so episodes, really wouldn't be that much sex. :D

Ditto what she said.
  • Options
    ZarwenZarwen Posts: 249
    Forum Member
    dcdmfan wrote: »
    Ditto what she said.

Ditto to dcdmfan's dittoes!

Signing off until tomorrow. I know DM will be airing on the other side of the pond in a few minutes, so I will wait until after I have watched it myself to rejoin the discussion. Have a nice evening y'all!
  • Options
    Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I've seen this complaint mentioned before and it always make me think of another of my favorite shows. I have been watching Corrie for almost 40 years now and from time to time people have complained on forums about how one very small block of this street in a town just outside of Manchester can have all this happen. Numerous murders, a couple of hostage situations, several fires, a train derailment, lorry accident, house falling down, every different type of medical incident you can imagine, surrogate pregnancies, gay and lesbian characters coming out to their parents, a transsexual marrying a man with Aspergers - and all of this on one street with 7 houses on one side and 3 on the other side (along with a handful of businesses and upstairs apartments).

But the truth is that if they tried to do a show that only told the stories that would actually happen in one block of a street nobody would watch. It would be like watching paint dry. I grew up in a block about the same size as this one and I can only think of 3-4 things that happened in 40 years that would be fodder for a television episode.

So, we have to suspend our beliefs when we watch any episodic television programs that strive to keep us entertained, be it the "Portwenn Effect", "Weatherfield Effect", "Scranton Effect", etc.
  • Options
    MofromcoMofromco Posts: 1,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zarwen wrote: »
    Ditto to dcdmfan's dittoes!

Signing off until tomorrow. I know DM will be airing on the other side of the pond in a few minutes, so I will wait until after I have watched it myself to rejoin the discussion. Have a nice evening y'all!

Ditto to everyone's dittos
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 266
    Forum Member
    Where has this series gone??? :confused:
    I can't believe it's been 7 weeks since we sat down and watched the wedding.....which I loved :D

I'm actually really optimistic about tonight! I think we' re in for a tear jerker, but in a good way. I really hope this isn't the last of DM. I was convinced S5 was the big finale & was really surprised and pleased when S6 was re-commissioned.

15 mins to go!!!!

Let's wait and see :p:cool::rolleyes::D:(:eek::)
  • Options
    16caerhos16caerhos Posts: 2,533
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here we go! Hope it's a good one. Also, the narrator lady said it's the last in this current series, does that imply there's going to be more? Stupid question, I know, but I love this show and would hate for it to end now.
  • Options
    wuffleswuffles Posts: 45,796
    Forum Member
    Didn't that actress play Alice's mum in an episode of Dibley?
  • Options
    thmsthms Posts: 61,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    have been meaning to comment on this series.. I wonder what doc martin would have said about my absentmindedness.. it's the best programme on the box
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,298
    Forum Member
    Thank goodness for Aunt Ruth!
  • Options
    NortherlyNortherly Posts: 1,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That mother is one piece of work
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,298
    Forum Member
    Is he going to get her??

About time he stepped up ;)

Oo-er...poor Louisa! I'm so glad I avoided spoilers now!
  • Options
    wuffleswuffles Posts: 45,796
    Forum Member
    Mrs Tishell has no taste in music.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He picks the slowest car..
  • Options
    16caerhos16caerhos Posts: 2,533
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He could have just rung the airport and told them to stop her from getting on the plane...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    16caerhos wrote: »
    He could have just rung the airport and told them to stop her from getting on the plane...

If he could have got thru to anyone human
This discussion has been closed.