Human League 'Don't you want me' iTunes Chart

2»

Comments

• alienghostalienghost Posts: 1,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't normally like these campaigns, but this one doesn't sound forced or contrived somehow - it's actually about the piece of music, not some stupid idea about a so-called political message. (Witch is Dead, Raining Men etc).

Oh I don't mind those too much, it can be kind of fun/interesting to look back on. I could see where they were coming from with the Weather Girls one. UKIP politician blames gay marriage for bad weather and flooding, so in defiance to that a classic gay anthem which makes reference to rain gets in the charts again.

I also don't mind if a song gets popular again because it's on TV/an advert or something like what's happening with this Human League track. That said, some of these bandwagons can be annoying. There was one a few years back when David Hasselhoff was releasing something and I found that more irritating than most of the others for some reason, because it wasn't anything to do with the song at all, it was just the fact it was David Hasselhoff, and apparently that's hilarious.
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love New Romantic music! :cool:

I would've been 2 or 3 when Steve Strange and his friends were flouncing around the Blitz Club, but the last couple of years I've been listening to a lot of synth stuff like Visage, Japan, Ultravox, Human League and lesser known stuff like The Mood and Peter Godwin... getting listening suggestions from blogs and the like.

I like the fact that the internet makes it easier to get into long lost scenes with all the tracks and Youtube videos. I even went onto the DS Fashion and Beauty forum for advice on getting an authentic 'flick fringe' for a 'pop legends' fancy dress party at Christmas. It wasn't that successful as it kept springing up as a kind of quiff, but I went as a generic 'New Romantic', with a frilly white shirt, though all the Elvis's and Madonnas looked blankly at me. :D

yeah i guess i cant complain about the benefit the internet has afforded us in relation to discovering or rediscovering some great retro sounds. i mean, my rare 60's classics thread couldnt exist without available oldies! :D

i was too young in the mid 60's to really get into most of the music, so tinternet has been a godsend to me, like it is to you regarding new romantics. i wish i could remember those times better, but we just took it for granted things were good. its only now looking back and comparing it with more recent times you realise just how good that era was.
  • davzerdavzer Posts: 2,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-26664107

The Official Charts Company has now said it has reached number 12 - and should breach the top 10 on Sunday if the sales trend continues.
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JBFC24 wrote: »
    Now up to #5

Pitty. It was crap the first time round.
  • davzerdavzer Posts: 2,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rfonzo wrote: »
    Pitty. It was crap the first time round.

Bit like your spelling.