Update on my husband's neurology appointment

Moll FlandersMoll Flanders Posts: 1,392
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi there

For those of you who are interested (!) a quick update. I posted very recently about how I was diagnosed with Heart Failure in December, and how on top of that I've been worried sick because of the very odd behaviour my husband's been exhibiting.

He got an urgent neurology appointment which we went to three days ago (Wednesday). We saw a very nice lady neurologist who clearly knew her stuff. Both my husband and I told her in great detail just what had been going on, how he's been behaving, his strange demeanour, etc.

She took it very seriously, and totally understood why we're concerned. She feels there are two main possibilities; either it's something neurological, or something psychiatric. She feels that the something psychiatric is more likely, however she wants to rule out anything neurological - just in case. My husband has already had a barrage of blood tests, which will look at various things, eg if he has antibodies which would suggest an infection causing swelling of the brain. He is also waiting for an appointment for an urgent brain-scan.

Also, she is referring him to a psychiatrist, in case he has a mental illness. His cousin is schizophrenic, and I can't help worrying it might be that. But we can only wait and see what the psychiatrist says.

And if it turns out to be nothing, either neurological, or psychiatric, there is still something wrong, maybe "just" stress-related, but nonetheless severe and distressing, which will need to be sorted out.

So it's all up in the air at the moment and we're waiting with bated breath to see what the verdict is. However, wheels are in motions, we were very satisfied with the neurology appointment, and I do feel that to a certain extent a weight has been lifted from my shoulders.

As for my husband, in some ways he seems better than he was (touch wood); no more threatening behaviour as yet, no "odd spells" for a few days, however, he is still sleeping very excessively (even the neurologist, who's seen it all, was shocked at how much he's sleeping) and keeps staring at me vacantly when I try to discuss it. This is NOT like his usual self at all.

And on top of everything else, I've had (a) a nasty infected foot, and (b) I've started to retain fluid again, feel breathless (symptoms of my Heart Failure) and also forgetful and confused (symptoms of the blood being diverted from my brain to my heart and kidneys) so am on an incredibly strict limited fluid intake, and am taking extremely powerful diuretics. This might not sound like a big deal to some people but I used to love drinking (not alchohol - I mean water and soft drinks) and drank loads - and now I have to drink a fraction of that for the rest of my life. It's very difficult, and I have no idea how I'll manage if we have a hot summer. But I will simply have to spend the rest of my life being thirsty.

So that's what's going on, basically. Some good, some bad, but thank goodness things are being done to try to sort my husband out.

Hoping to have a little trip out today, to a local historic town, to poke around the antique shops, antiquarian bookshops etc. And have just bought a really good DVD (Election, starring Reece Witherspoon and Matthew Broderick) to watch together tonight. Oh - and not just the two of us together - also with the cat, my beloved cat, curled up on my knee!!! :kitty:

So not good, not bad, but hopeful...............................

Thanks to everyone who posted very thoughtful comments to me.

Moll
x

Comments

• annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    i hope it all comes up good for you soon moll.
  • Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    Moll, your positivity shines through, as does your love for your husband (& your little cat!).

Have a fabulous weekend, and I hope everything improves, healthwise, for both of you, very soon.
  • The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best of luck with everything and hope you and your hubby get some definite answers soon xx
  • warleywitchwarleywitch Posts: 2,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Moll for the update . I read all the other thread and wondered how it would all work out. I'm glad for you that it's all being taken seriously and I hope it's all resolved somehow soon.
  • Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm so glad and relieved to hear from you again Moll and also to receive your PM. I will write back soon but am not so good myself just now.

Things are moving for you and your husband and you are at last being taken seriously. I should think that you will maybe change GPs at a later date too.

God Bless you, your husband and you little cat. (I am a cat lover too). :)
  • tigragirltigragirl Posts: 13,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good to hear from you, you are doing well staying so positive but by heck, it can't be easy. Hope you both get some answers soon. Take care
  • Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its good to hear your update Moll, I hope everything goes ok for you and your husband, take care.
  • RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm glad you posted Moll.

You hadn't been on your other thread for a while and I know people were concerned.

It sounds as though whatever the outcome, there is a long road ahead but my thoughts are with you both.

Also, please take care of yourself and don't let your own health suffer.

X
  • Fred SplungeFred Splunge Posts: 654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glad the medics are taking you both a bit more seriously Moll. I mentioned it on the other thread, but just in case you didn't see - is he being tested for toxoplasmosis? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxoplasmosis
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 33,944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moll, your positivity shines through, as does your love for your husband (& your little cat!).

Have a fabulous weekend, and I hope everything improves, healthwise, for both of you, very soon.

Agreed, all the best to you and your husband Moll, and the little cat! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thanks for the update Moll, and I am very glad to hear things are going well for you and your husband since your last thread. I'm sorry to hear of your health problems though, but hope you'll continue to keep taking it in your stride and be finding relief soon. Take care Moll.
  • flowerpowaflowerpowa Posts: 24,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some awful problems Moll, lets hope you will both be sorted out soon.
  • snowy ghostsnowy ghost Posts: 40,014
    Forum Member
    Good Luck X
  • goonernataliegoonernatalie Posts: 4,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its good to hear your update Moll, I hope everything goes ok for you and your husband, take care.

Echoing that
  • duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Best wishes for you and for your husband . I hope you get answers soon and that his problem can be dealt with
  • itsy bitsyitsy bitsy Posts: 3,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    duckylucky wrote: »
    Best wishes for you and for your husband . I hope you get answers soon and that his problem can be dealt with

I would like to echo this. Just noticed that you haven't apparently posted on DS for over a week. Hope all is as well with you as possible. :)