Why do animals like sitting on things? (eg newspaper, wrapping paper, fabric)

Moll FlandersMoll Flanders Posts: 1,392
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Why is it that if you have a whole room for your pet to sit in, it will choose the one spot where there is a magazine left open, or some brown paper for a parcel you're wrapping?

When I was a child and my mum made our own clothes, and laid out the fabric on the floor, PLONK! - our dog would come and park her big backside in the middle of the cloth.

Later, when I had rats, if I was wrapping parcels up for Ebay, and had a piece of brown paper ready on the floor, here the rats came, ready to prance around on the paper.

And now I have a cat, if I'm lying on the bed reading a juicy story in the newspaper, in he comes, and where does he sit? - right in the middle of the story I'm trying to read.

I can understand why animals like sitting on nice soft fabric, eg a jumper you've left lying around, but why do other materials attract them so much? Is it just the novelty factor? Is there a term for liking sitting on things?

Just interested, really!

Moll
x :)

Comments

• PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they like some surfaces because they are cool for them to rest on.

I know our bunnies like moving their mats about so they can lie on the cold metal underneath them & the doggy likes soft blankets & beds to lie on until he gets too hot then he goes & lies on the kitchen floor because it's wood.
  • Wee TinkersWee Tinkers Posts: 12,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At least yours just wants to lay on them. My dog wants to shred them Westie-style. Can't leave anything made of paper, cardboard or soft plastic down for any length of time or she'll have it.

She does have an obsession with being 'up' on things though - boulders, walls, high banks, rocks - anything she can be 'on'. She almost did herself a mischief once trying to walk along a privet hedge. Stupid dog. Not sure whether it's small dog syndrome or she thinks she's still in the Highlands.

She doesn't do this as much now, but she used to stand on the arm of the sofa where I was sitting and reverse back until her backside was parked on my shoulder. Would sit for ages like a parrot on my shoulder.
  • NoseyLouieNoseyLouie Posts: 5,651
    Forum Member
    with cats it must just be comfy, or to attention seek! My cat who lives with my parents (meh their cat now..) I usually have my brown jute shopping bag and hamish claims it, he goes inside everytime, think he is reclaiming our smells, and etc. Evertime I come home to my parents flat, he knows its us and waits at the door, either that he knows the footfall coming up is us, but it is a varied time. smart cat is hamish!
  • CaptainObvious_CaptainObvious_ Posts: 3,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    . Not sure whether it's small dog syndrome or she thinks she's still in the Highlands.

haha bless her.

Yeah, my cat used to do this too, she'd have a whole sofa to curl up on and she would choose the part with my papers lying on it. She loved sitting in suitcases as well. I actually gave her a box once and sat her in it thinking she'd love boxes as other cats do but nope. She was always more of a bag puss.

Someone should do an experiment in a football pitch with a piece of A4 paper and a bunch of cats let in one at a time and see what happens
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My cat was (I was informed when I adopted him) the runt of a the litter. He's far from being a big bruiser of a cat. I'd say he's small - medium. One day I couldn't find him in the house. I knew he was in the house, because I have to open the kitchen door to let him out. Anyway, to cut a story short, said small cat was s-q-u-e-e-z-e-d into a tiny -- and I do mean tiny -- cardboard box. He was curled up in it like a snake in a circle. I'm amazed to this day how he managed to get in and out of it. lol.

I've no idea why they sit on paperwork, laptops, iPads etc. Even if the area isn't a platform as such, my cat will beeline for it. I think it's a possession thing. "I'm claiming this spot."
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My cat was (I was informed when I adopted him) the runt of a the litter. He's far from being a big bruiser of a cat. I'd say he's small - medium. One day I couldn't find him in the house. I knew he was in the house, because I have to open the kitchen door to let him out. Anyway, I looked hither and thither and finally found said small cat s-q-u-e-e-z-e-d into a tiny -- and I do mean tiny -- cardboard box. He was curled up in it like a snake in a circle. I'm amazed to this day how he managed to get in and out of it. lol.

I've no idea why they sit on paperwork, laptops, iPads etc. Even if the area isn't a platform as such, my cat will beeline for it. I think it's a possession thing. "I'm claiming this spot as MINE."
  • Carlos_dfcCarlos_dfc Posts: 8,262
    Forum Member
    Roooty wrote: »
    "I'm claiming this spot as MINE."
    Reminded me of this: :D
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q54lVO7elt0
  • thefairydandythefairydandy Posts: 3,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My cat would sit on books very neatly, sitting upright rather than curling up. I think they do it because they're utterly baffled as to why we like to stare at these meaningless objects so much when we have beautiful pets in front of us to fuss...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    my dog likes to sit on my foot
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Carlos_dfc wrote: »

"Boys from the Dwarf" :)
  • xNATILLYxxNATILLYx Posts: 6,509
    Forum Member
    That's what i love about animals - their randomness.
    My cat is a mixture of crazy and weird. He has sat on top of all sorts of things , sat in all sorts of containers and lay in all types of weird positions.
    He had a habit recently of going to sleep on top of the bath towels in the cupboard. He also loves stealing my fiance's computer chair whenever he gets up which cracks me up. He knows what's happening and literally races to the seat.
    He mainly prefers either his pillow or blankie. He is in heaven when lying on soft things , purring away and he goes straight to sleep.

Oh i love it
  • CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My dogs not fussy about sitting but likes to wee on things when out walking. She'll only wee on large clumps of grass or and paper rubbish that may be around. If we come across an empty crisp bag on our walks she'll pee on it which is quite funny watching her manoeuvre herself into the correct position

It wasn't do funny when she pee'd on a pile of free newspapers that had been left outside a shop ready to be delivered.
  • kiviraatkiviraat Posts: 4,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know this well :D When I worked in animal rescue, one of the shop cats would sit on anything you put on the desk. She loved sleeping on the diary for some reason :D

My own pets - the rabbits, especially my doe, loves lying on cardboard or paper, and my dog 'helps me' when I'm sewing - I spread my patterns out on the floor and he rolls all over them. The wee git :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This has made me smile.

My cat does it all the time. I tend to read the newspaper and it can end up on the floor and you can guarantee the cat will come into the room and sit on the newspaper.

Daughter tends to have school work out on the rug and he will sit on her books. Last week she left a large map open on the rug and when she came back cat was curled up in a ball on it fast asleep.
  • malaikahmalaikah Posts: 20,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have a great American Bulldog who will sit on the smallest cushion.. he will then curl up into the smallest ball and fit onto said 1' square cushion! He will also park himself on the tiniest corner of washing piled in front of the washer but making sure he is parked all on it. Here is a picture of him a bit stretched out after being tightly curled up on a postage stamp cushion :)
    http://oi60.tinypic.com/2wp1q20.jpg
  • edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My cat would sit on books very neatly, sitting upright rather than curling up. I think they do it because they're utterly baffled as to why we like to stare at these meaningless objects so much when we have beautiful pets in front of us to fuss...
    This, definitely. If I'm laid on the sofa with my iPad my dog will climb his way up me and push the tablet out of the way, before flopping into my line of vision and demanding I fuss him.

Which of course I always do, encouraging the same behaviour even though I know I shouldn't :D