What Would Happen If Defending Teams Did Not Bother With A Wall For Free Kicks?

Cissy FairfaxCissy Fairfax Posts: 11,801
Forum Member
✭✭
Purely for the top players, at the upper end of the P.L and the C.L, what would happen, if when facing a free kick 20/25 yards out, defending teams forgot about offside, the GK and either did not bother with a wall - or put it much closer to the goal?

There are at least 2 or 3 free kick goals every week, which would be headed away by a man on the inside post.

It seems a peculiar tactic, particularly late on in the match, when defending a goal, 30 yards out, not to put a defender within 20 yards of it. Yet in a normal game situation, with the ball in the same spot, no side defends with 7 players bunched together and rarely if ever will a goal come from it.

I can see the responses to putting defenders closer to the goal, eg as per a corner - being along the lines of "teams would just knock it into the attacker 12 yards out, who would bring it down, turn and score" - but would he? against the top defenders.

I have actually seen plenty of free kick goals, where the wall has probably aided the raker, rather than hindered him.

Remember, this is only to the top penalty takers, effectively with a 50% plus likelihhod of scoring. I don't think by occasionally, doing away with a wall against those, or defending closer to the goal would increase that chance at all.

Comments

• celesticelesti Posts: 25,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Without an obstacle of the wall, you're giving a good set-piece taker the option to put it in either top corner where it's unlikely a defender will reach. The wall if nothing else steers the kicker to a particular side to give the keeper a better chance.
  • ustarionustarion Posts: 20,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What would happen if you put the wall in the goal mouth?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It'd be like when an indirect free kick is awarded in the box, albeit with more space for the attacking team to advance and no compulsion to pass.
  • Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andrea Pirlo would score 1000 goals.
  • Cissy FairfaxCissy Fairfax Posts: 11,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ustarion wrote: »
    What would happen if you put the wall in the goal mouth?

I would just once, like to see a wall along the goal line!

Just to see if anyone could get it in from there.

Although, in all seriousness, if the referee was to confirm beforehand that the free kick will be the last kick of the match, or that there was say 3 seconds to go say, as they do in rugby, then you would be more likely to keep the ball out with the wall on the line.
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have always thought that the disadvantage of a wall is that the keeper is unsighted until the ball is over the top.
  • codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Happens lots, when an indirect free kick is awarded in the box
  • batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember Shearer scoring from a free-kick for England at Wembley, where they was a wall on the goal line, I think it was Teddy who back heeled it to him, the Shearer just blasted it in to the top corner of the net.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,848
    Forum Member

Although, in all seriousness, if the referee was to confirm beforehand that the free kick will be the last kick of the match, or that there was say 3 seconds to go say, as they do in rugby, then you would be more likely to keep the ball out with the wall on the line.

As already mentioned, Shearer scored one where there were 11 players on the line and possibly 1 or 2 of his own players as well.

Here you go:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gg8Ho56uic
  • FrankieFixerFrankieFixer Posts: 11,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember Shearer scoring from a free-kick for England at Wembley, where they was a wall on the goal line, I think it was Teddy who back heeled it to him, the Shearer just blasted it in to the top corner of the net.

That was against Georgia.
  • Sabre92Sabre92 Posts: 726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is an interesting one. On a similar note, is there any rule which stops the defending team putting all of their players about a foot behind a dead ball?

In this case in theory you would force the attacking team to have to shoot from around 30 yards, thereby eliminating the possibility of a cross as anybody in front of the ball would automatically be offside. Yes, it would essentially be a long-distance penalty, but without being unsighted from the wall and from a lot further out than a standard spot kick, the odds would be stacked far more in the keeper's favour.

If you positioned the defenders cleverly and had them poised to react straightaway you could also block off any chance of the taker playing a through ball for an attacker situated behind him to run onto.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You could still cross, the attackers would just start from the same position or level and run on to it, giving them a huge advantage over the defenders heading back towards their own goal.
  • Sabre92Sabre92 Posts: 726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    celesti wrote: »
    You could still cross, the attackers would just start from the same position or level and run on to it, giving them a huge advantage over the defenders heading back towards their own goal.

Depends on how far out the kick is. If it's from a good 30-35 yards out then crossing the ball in could give the keeper the chance to run out and intercept. Similarly, if the ball's lofted too high, you give the defence time to set themselves and deal with the danger.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A good delivery into a penalty area with just a goalkeeper is suicide for a defence. Let's be honest, if any of these odd new ways to defend a set-piece had any potential, someone would have tried them or they'd be in use. The way it's done now is to give a kick taker as small a window of opportunity as possible, which is as good as can realistically be done.
  • Cissy FairfaxCissy Fairfax Posts: 11,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Sorry, I didnt make that clearer but I was talking about a free kick from 30 odd yards out, rather than 10, when it is near on impossible to pile drive it through and you have to place it.

Nevertheless, its an underrated goal from Shearer that and more skill than just shutting your eyes and smashing it.
  • big macbig mac Posts: 4,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sabre92 wrote: »
    This is an interesting one. On a similar note, is there any rule which stops the defending team putting all of their players about a foot behind a dead ball?

In this case in theory you would force the attacking team to have to shoot from around 30 yards, thereby eliminating the possibility of a cross as anybody in front of the ball would automatically be offside. Yes, it would essentially be a long-distance penalty, but without being unsighted from the wall and from a lot further out than a standard spot kick, the odds would be stacked far more in the keeper's favour.

If you positioned the defenders cleverly and had them poised to react straightaway you could also block off any chance of the taker playing a through ball for an attacker situated behind him to run onto.

In Law 13 it states all opponents must be at least 9.15 m (10 yds) from the ball until it is in play

So, they wouldn't be allowed to stand a foot behind the dead ball.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think he means a foot behind the placement of the ball parallel to the goal line so it's the nearest thing the goal, rather than a foot away.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    A tall player on each post would allow the goalkeeper to maintain a central position with less area to cover

I assume that clubs must have tested this scenario. and decided against it.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,373
    Forum Member
    Football should scrap walls. All they do is make things more difficult for goalkeepers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ive ofren wondered why teams dont leave 5 up front for an opponents corner?

It would prevent the CBs marauding forward, and give them a huge advantage if the keeper catches and throws it immediately forward.
  • FrankieFixerFrankieFixer Posts: 11,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    A tall player on each post would allow the goalkeeper to maintain a central position with less area to cover

I assume that clubs must have tested this scenario. and decided against it.

Because you could have opposition players standing on the line interfering with the goalkeeper's space or ready to tap it in if he makes a mistake. Walls do a good job usually if the keeper has set it up right.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    codeblue wrote: »
    Ive ofren wondered why teams dont leave 5 up front for an opponents corner?

It would prevent the CBs marauding forward, and give them a huge advantage if the keeper catches and throws it immediately forward.

Because you're giving the attacking team a much higher chance of scoring, which would far outweigh the fear of the goalkeeper launching a counter.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    celesti wrote: »
    Because you're giving the attacking team a much higher chance of scoring, which would far outweigh the fear of the goalkeeper launching a counter.

They would have to use less players attacking the corner, giving the keeper more room to come out and collect
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They wouldn't have to, the gamble of attacking a half-empty defence would be more than worth it.

Like with the other ideas, there's a reason it doesn't happen.