Options

Website / E-Mail Hosting Query

pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,762
Forum Member
✭✭
I have my own domain name but I registered it as domain only. I am looking to set up an e-mail address on that domain that will forward all mail received to another address, or if I can find it cheaply enough, consider using the domain e-mail as a proper address.

Do I require hosting then to set up forwarding only or is hosting required, no matter what option I end up going for?

If so, any recommendations for cheap hosting sites? Cheers.

Comments

• Options
    mpmc17mpmc17 Posts: 2,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paddy C wrote: »
    I have my own domain name but I registered it as domain only. I am looking to set up an e-mail address on that domain that will forward all mail received to another address, or if I can find it cheaply enough, consider using the domain e-mail as a proper address.

Do I require hosting then to set up forwarding only or is hosting required, no matter what option I end up going for?

If so, any recommendations for cheap hosting sites? Cheers.

Zoho Mail do a free 10user/5GB plan that might interest you.

There's also inbox.com that does unlimited users/5GB but I'd recommend you go with Zoho if you only need a few accounts.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zoho seems good, but they require at least a 2 character username, but I only require a single character before the @ symbol.
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zoho seems good, but they require at least a 2 character username, but I only require a single character before the @ symbol.

Why? :confused:
  • Options
    Esot-ericEsot-eric Posts: 1,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Usually when you buy a domain they offer email forwarding included (in fact i've never seen one that didn't) so you could just forward to a free email account.

If you want email hosting i've used PolarisMail in the past and can recommend them. A single email inbox works out to $1/month (paid annually).
  • Options
    SambdaSambda Posts: 6,274
    Forum Member
    Google Apps let you point your DNS MX record/s at them and they run POP/IMAP/webmail services to use with the accounts you set up. Free. I use it for some domains as it has better spam filtering than doing it via the webhoster.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    Why? :confused:

My e-mail address is going to utilise the @ symbol to replicate the letter 'a' to spell out a name and there is only one character before the 'a'. I think it is the username for their website that requires at least 2 letters, I may be able to set up forwarding on the domain internally with just the one letter.

Google Apps sounds good, I assume if I forward it to a Gmail account I can log in there and check all my mail?
  • Options
    Forum Member

Google Apps sounds good, I assume if I forward it to a Gmail account I can log in there and check all my mail?

You don't need to "forward" the email as such, you just nominate the Google servers as the place that receives the emails for such-and-such a domain. In the DNS, the server which serves the webpages for a given domain is specified by something called an "A" record; the email server is denoted by an "MX" record. These can point at completely different things, and you can have a domain for email purposes without an associated website, if you like.

And, yes, once your email is with Google, you can log in for webmail just like Gmail, or set up a IMAP or POP client like Outlook.

Google Apps lets you set up different ids/usernames for your domain and give out different passwords for them, so you can run a whole office, each person with their own email account. Google Apps is sort of a MS Exchange server on the cheap.
  • Options
    ianxianx Posts: 9,190
    Forum Member
    Note that using your own domain with Google Apps is no longer free for new sign-ups.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ianx wrote: »
    Note that using your own domain with Google Apps is no longer free for new sign-ups.

Ahh, is it not? Mine were done some time ago. Worth noting - thanks.
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My e-mail address is going to utilise the @ symbol to replicate the letter 'a' to spell out a name and there is only one character before the 'a'. I think it is the username for their website that requires at least 2 letters, I may be able to set up forwarding on the domain internally with just the one letter.

Having done some research, the local part of an email address (the bit before the @) may be able to be only 1 character, but you may find some mail servers out on the Internet will reject addresses where the local part is less than 2 characters. You might be setting yourself up for some hassle.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    Having done some research, the local part of an email address (the bit before the @) may be able to be only 1 character, but you may find some mail servers out on the Internet will reject addresses where the local part is less than 2 characters. You might be setting yourself up for some hassle.
    interesting, thanks for that.

I already have a Gmail account, so if I can forward to that, it would be quite handy. If not, I'm sure creating a new one with a different provider and having mail forwarded to it shouldn't be too much hassle.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have checked on the settings for my domain and can't see any mention of setting up e-mail forwarding or even how to set up anything as the help guides all point to having to click on my hosting package and go in to the settings for that. I don't have hosting set up for this domain, all I wanted was the domain name, I never intend on using it as a website, just as an custom e-mail address.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you tell us who you used to register the domain someone might be able to give you specific information on how to do it.

If you're looking to host email somewhere you will need to modify the DNS settings for the domain and point the MX records to wherever you purchase email hosting from. There are more complicated DNS settings that can be used for spam prevention (SPF, DKIM, Domainkeys), but MX is the bare minimum required.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used a company called Lets Host ( www.letshost.ie ) as there are only a few companies authorised to sell domain names for Ireland as they are very strict about who can have one.

If I go to the domain management settings on their site, they give me an option to "Add Zone" and that's it, I'm not seeing options for MX or any of the things you mentioned.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have contacted LetsHost directly and they have confirmed that they require users to have a hosting package in order to use e-mail forwarding.

So, if I use one of the suggested companies to handle e-mail for me, I can use them instead and still be able to have e-mails for my domain without having to worry about LetsHost?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So, if I use one of the suggested companies to handle e-mail for me, I can use them instead and still be able to have e-mails for my domain without having to worry about LetsHost?

Yes, but you'll need to modify the DNS records to do it. Letshost has a guide on how to do this for Google Apps (no longer free). You'll have to replace the example Google MX records with the ones of whoever you buy email hosting from.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am going to try ZohoMail and see how I get on. I have (I think) edited the CNAME details and am just waiting on the servers to verify the changes so I can continue the set-up and start creating my new e-mail address.

Fingers crossed!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CNAME doesn't work for email. You need MX records to point to the hostname of the Zoho's mail server (and MX records can't reference CNAMEs they always need to reference A or AAAA records).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zoho's own instructions require the ownership of the website be confirmed using CNAME. This is the step I'm on currently and awaiting verification of. Once this has been done then I assume I will then be able to change other details of the site to Zoho's MX details.

I hope! The entire process has me confused as anything. So much for thinking it would be straight forward!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Zoho's own instructions require the ownership of the website be confirmed using CNAME. This is the step I'm on currently and awaiting verification of. Once this has been done then I assume I will then be able to change other details of the site to Zoho's MX details.

I hope! The entire process has me confused as anything. So much for thinking it would be straight forward!

Yes, but you aren't paying for a web-hosting package here when you don't need to, are you? You have bought the domain name, and it seems to me you just need to point your DNS MX record/s at Zoho and then use their mailboxes? If Zoho is free (I don't know anything about it), then you only need DNS services from somewhere, which there are also free ways of doing. You don't have to use your Registrar as your provider of web-hosting or of DNS services. You only *need* to use your Registrar to change the addresses of your nameservers - that, and buying your domain, often are the only two interactions you have with them.

Message #15 seems to suggest you have a hosting plan with www.letshost.ie to just use them for DNS services???
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, I just bought the domain name, no hosting at all.

I have set up Zoho mail and changed CNAME and MX settings have my e-mail address as I want. The only downside is that Zoho mail (when added as an "other" account on my iPhone does not offer push for mail, only fetch. I have followed their instructions to the letter to set it up but it will not enable push. If I add it as an Exchange address, it constantly pops up saying the password is incorrect, but it does list it as being push. :confused:

I have also downloaded Zoho's native mail handling app and it isn't great. It does have push but you can't change the notification sound and the full mail content is dispayed on the lock screen which I don't want.

May try another free mail hosting service. Any recommendations or ideas on how I can get the Exchange part to work. Again, I've followed all settings to the letter but it won't work.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Actually, turns out the Active Sync feature was not turned on for my e-mail account for some reason, which is why Exchange wasn't working. Everything works perfectly now and the address is up and running on the standard iOS mail app with push, so no need for the separate app.

Thanks to you all for your help in me getting this sorted. :D