Tormented Lives

CloneClownCloneClown Posts: 6,296
Forum Member
Have just started watching this and it is incredibly sad and upsetting.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is. It's horrific and sickening.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    It's very moving isnt it. The hostility and abuse faced by the individuals is shameful:cry:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm thinking of writing to the BBC and asking if they would send me a DVD of the programme. I work in a college where a number of LLDD learners have mildly suffered abuse and bullying of this nature. I do not feel the college has adequately dealt with this. The college have informed me I probably won't have a job there after christmas. With nothing to lose I am thinking of starting a campaign to ensure that those who tease and bully the LLDD learners are made to attend a session where they must watch the programme.
  • boksboxboksbox Posts: 4,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This should have been on at 9pm rather than repeated police show
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Damn I wanted to see this programme, I just caught the last few mins.

I'm helping a Professor who is doing research into Disability hate crimes and this sort of thing really upsets me as it just shouldn't be happening in this day.

They really need to section anyone who can pick on a disabled person.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Damn I wanted to see this programme, I just caught the last few mins.

I'm helping a Professor who is doing research into Disability hate crimes and this sort of thing really upsets me as it just shouldn't be happening in this day.

They really need to section anyone who can pick on a disabled person.

I would be fascinated to hear more about this research if at all possible please. I am a 2nd year learning disability nursing student but also work as a healthcare assistant for people with dual diagnosis of Learning Disabilities and Mental Health problems so they face double the stigma.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ponglie wrote: »
    I would be fascinated to hear more about this research if at all possible please. I am a 2nd year learning disability nursing student but also work as a healthcare assistant for people with dual diagnosis of Learning Disabilities and Mental Health problems so they face double the stigma.

http://www.kent.ac.uk/tizard/news/index.html

The 3rd item down.
    Tizard Centre to work on Big Lottery-funded project on hate crime against people with autism and learning disabilities
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for that, much appreciated. :)
  • CloneClownCloneClown Posts: 6,296
    Forum Member
    I thought that Chris made a very interesting point about how he felt a lot more at ease when he went back to London to visit. The bustle of city life (especially major capital cities) does allow for some people with disabilities to be more intergratted more easily as opposed to urban or rural living. I have certainly found this to be the case since moving away from a village upbringing four years ago and absolutely love city life.

It would seem that I'm a fortunate one who has survived 26 years so far without any form of abuse directed at me or my family due to my physical disability. Watching the show tonight, it did make me wonder how I've managed to escape such treatment, whilst others receive it on a day to day basis. It was notable that apart from the presenter and her daughter, that the other people featured lived in council housing areas which may attract these people who inflict abuse. What mostly struck me then was that abuse was then hurled by strangers in town centres or high streets. Now, I can't relate to ever living in an area like a council estate but I have obviously walked through town centres etc and again have somehow not experienced such abuse - again I question why?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ponglie wrote: »
    Thanks for that, much appreciated. :)

Most of the research is being done in the the Medway Kent area but they might be interested in hear from people who work with learning disabled.
  • Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was very upsetting.

I just really don't understand why some people are just so downright nasty. Christopher was just so heartbreaking when he said he had proved his father right by not amounting to anything - for strangers to bully him is one thing but his father must have been horrible to leave him with such low self esteem.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    CloneClown wrote: »
    I thought that Chris made a very interesting point about how he felt a lot more at ease when he went back to London to visit. The bustle of city life (especially major capital cities) does allow for some people with disabilities to be more intergratted more easily as opposed to urban or rural living. I have certainly found this to be the case since moving away from a village upbringing four years ago and absolutely love city life.

It would seem that I'm a fortunate one who has survived 26 years so far without any form of abuse directed at me or my family due to my physical disability. Watching the show tonight, it did make me wonder how I've managed to escape such treatment, whilst others receive it on a day to day basis. It was notable that apart from the presenter and her daughter, that the other people featured lived in council housing areas which may attract these people who inflict abuse. What mostly struck me then was that abuse was then hurled by strangers in town centres or high streets. Now, I can't relate to ever living in an area like a council estate but I have obviously walked through town centres etc and again have somehow not experienced such abuse - again I question why?

I've never understood why any one would take the mick out of a stranger just because they had a disability.
  • AndrewPdAndrewPd Posts: 6,718
    Forum Member
    Disgusting.

I am going to volunteer to help support/befriend people with learning difficulties.

Didn't realise it was this bloody bad!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's on Iplayer if anyone (like me) missed it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/gd/episode/b00vhls2/Tormented_Lives/
    Forum Member
    I've never understood why any one would take the mick out of a stranger just because they had a disability.

Well it is evident that a small minority do and often in areas which are not socially deprived (which challenged my perception of where such behaviour may occur.) I'm not saying that it is any more acceptable in socially deprived areas or that it should be accepted because abuse of any kind, in whatever place or area is never justified.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well it is evident that a small minority do and often in areas which are not socially deprived (which challenged my perception of where such behaviour may occur.) I'm not saying that it is any more acceptable in socially deprived areas or that it should be accepted because abuse of any kind, in whatever place or area is never justified.

This is exactly why I would love to see if there is a correlation between the kind of area/city and the levels of hate rime and also levels of hate crime against people with learning disabilities compared with other hate crimes.

Sometimes I guess it s down to ignorance but then others it is just plain and simple bullying. Whatever the reasons, it is completely unacceptable. I recently worked with a middle aged man with learning disabilities who was very independent and very articulate who told me off his experiences of bullying. I really felt for him when he told me what he had experienced but he remained so strong about it like it was just a part of his life. I admired the fact that he could deal with it in the way he did but I also felt extremely sad that he should even have to!

The only way to help towards stopping this is by challenging peoples prejudices and standing up for what we believing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    What town was Chris filmed in, it look familiar?
    Forum Member
    What town was Chris filmed in, it look familiar?

Think it was Hastings where he lived?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Think it was Hastings where he lived?

Ah I thought so. The 'Autism and me' documentary had a lad with Autism who came from Hastings.

I went to an Autism support group there for a little while which is why it looked familiar.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a 33 year old man, I have never seen something that has actually made me cry on TV.

I remained stony faced during Titanic even.

Why did the BBC tuck this away? This is the sort of thing they should be doing. Not more bloody police shows.