Options

Strange phonecall about issues with my PC, help!

andy614andy614 Posts: 45,259
Forum Member
Someone has just called me, saying they are from the technical department of microsoft and said they have been getting error messages from my system and it could crash at any moment or something.

He wanted to start doing things to my PC but i was just very suspicious and put the phone down.

Do people think this could be genuine?:confused:

I have had a few issues with the internet and internet explorer just recently ever since i upgraded to BT Infinity and had to re do my wirless settings, like a few things not loading quickly/properly and the 'cannot display page' coming up alot but thats all, (whilst here does anyone know what that could be?) The actual computer seems to be working normally. Dunno if this has anything to do with it?:confused:

Comments

• Options
    user123456789user123456789 Posts: 16,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Microsoft do not have a list of everyones phone numbers !!! :rolleyes:

This is a well known SCAM and has even been reported on the news !!! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yip there's a thread on this somewhere.

It is indeed a scam, pay no attention to it.
  • Options
    buenoshermanosbuenoshermanos Posts: 1,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't we have a sticky on this?
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    Can't we have a sticky on this?

I agree. It comes up about twice a week. i shall write something.
  • Options
    ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    andy614 wrote: »
    Someone has just called me, saying they are from the technical department of microsoft and said they have been getting error messages from my system and it could crash at any moment or something.

He wanted to start doing things to my PC but i was just very suspicious and put the phone down.

I have had a few issues with the internet and internet explorer just recently ever since i upgraded to BT Infinity and had to re do my wirless settings, like a few things not loading quickly/properly and the 'cannot display page' coming up alot but thats all, (whilst here does anyone know what that could be?) The actual computer seems to be working normally. Dunno if this has anything to do with it?:confused:

It's a scam. Not using IE would be good idea too.
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ironjade wrote: »

What has IE to do with it?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I havent used IE in a long time and I still get called about once a month. All they do is take information from public online sites about you (ie directory enquirys) and phone people randomly. I always tell them I dont have a PC and they hang up.
  • Options
    ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    What has IE to do with it?

Nothing. It's just a good idea.:)
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing. It's just a good idea.:)

If you say so. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    andy614 wrote: »

Scam, scam, scam you did the right thing putting the phone down.
    Remember that no one will phone out of the blue regarding any kind of computer problems regarding viruses, error messages or anything else just another social engineering trick or should i say try to trick you.
  • Options
    GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I so want these people to ring me!

Sounds like a fun conversation. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gogfumble wrote: »
    I so want these people to ring me!

Sounds like a fun conversation. :D

Yes i would have some fun :p
  • Options
    LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    Andy 614, this has been going on for quite some time

and just lately http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1400982
  • Options
    max_dbmax_db Posts: 3,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am just wondering what the scammers aim to achieve from this, I mean what exactly do they want to try and do which wouldn't be obviously a scam to any PC owner ?