Options

drills

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,015
Forum Member
✭✭✭
hi there,

regretably as much as i try to avoid it the time has come to buy a drill

I have DIY phobia, so wondered if you experts could help me,

Its going to be used to put up shelves and do drill things in around the house...

Is this any good?

its one I found in the homebase sale

It doesnt drill through brick / stone though does it? so does that make it good / bad for the price..

Can someone recommend me a drill if the above is crap, its my first one, I will not use it religiously but I guess its worth keep in those times of desperation...

Please advise

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    danletodanleto Posts: 2,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This should do the job just fine.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    You would find it very hard to drill into brick/masonry without a 'hammer' setting, a better option if you could stump up another 10 pounds would be this Black and Decker it has a 'hammer' option to drill into brick/masonry more easily plus a large selection of accessories plus its on special offer too
  • Options
    alias aliasalias alias Posts: 8,824
    Forum Member
    You need a hammer drill.

£49.99
    Variable speed 0-350/0-1100rpm.
    13mm keyless chuck.
    16 torque settings.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/7113127.htm
  • Options
    varialectiovarialectio Posts: 2,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bosch is a good make, not up to professional standards but better than many for DIY. 15V is about right combination of power and weight. There is a range at similar prices at Wickes

However for putting up shelves, curtain rails etc, means drilling into brick and concrete so I'd be looking for one with hammer action. One like your link will do it, but it can be a bit slow.

Note also that you can get more power per pound from a mains drill if you're prepared to put up with extension leads.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,803
    Forum Member
    I would just buy a cheap cabled hammer drill (under £20) for drilling into brick, the hammer on battery powered drills is pretty shit even on expensive models especially tough stuff like red brick. Then use the one you linked to for driving in the screws.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thanks for that

I hear Bosch or Dewalt are the good ones to get,

Can anyone recommend one? for putting up shelves and other household stuff us men have to do it,

Do these drills come with drills bit or do you have to buy them seperately?

With regards to the one I recommended, what do you mean by slow? I was more concerned that it was not able to drill through brick walls if needed? please clarify

thanks

p.s. please provide links as I am clueless when it comes to drills instead of saying "buy a cheap £20 cable drill" it means nothing, sorry and thanks
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would just buy a cheap cabled hammer drill (under £20) for drilling into brick, the hammer on battery powered drills is pretty shit even on expensive models especially tough stuff like red brick. Then use the one you linked to for driving in the screws.

^^^ This. Even a cheap corded drill is going to more effective then a mid priced cordless when drill through brick.

However if all you are looking at doing is assembling some flat pack and putting up a few shelves then the £50 b & d from homebase wwill be and even comes with a selection of drill and screwdriver pieces to get you started. If in future you find it does not meet your needs then you can always get a corded drill for the heavy duty jobs.
  • Options
    scorpio manscorpio man Posts: 4,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I were you OP I would hang on until a 240v hammer drill turns up in one of those Aldi or Lidle special offers, OK they look cheap n nasty but I have purchased quite a few electrical tools from them and had no problems with them as of yet, on the plus side you do get a 3 year warranty with anything electrical. (if you keep the receipt)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is Black and Decker a good make though, compared to Bosch etc?

Like wouldnt a £50 bosch drill be better quality then the black and decker drill?

Bare in mind, I will use it as and when, if at all, its something to have while the sales are on, I just know I will need it sooner rather then later :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For what you are doing the B&D is the better option however those cordless drills are at the bottom end of the market and aren't great for going through masonry easily. Mind you some of the top of the range stuff I use day in and day out won't make holes in my house walls, I need my big green monster 240v hammer drill that is the only one that can drill in to the concrete walls here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    can i drill through walls to put up shelves and put up curtain rails with the B & D?? and do 99% of household things will it?

so if I do need a heavy duty drill I can also as suggested buy a cheap £20 drill, what do you reckon?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    will the black and decker go through walls so that I can put up shelves and things like that, in other words will it do 99% of household stuff ??
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    xirok1x wrote: »
    thanks for that

I hear Bosch or Dewalt are the good ones to get,

Can anyone recommend one? for putting up shelves and other household stuff us men have to do it,

Do these drills come with drills bit or do you have to buy them seperately?

With regards to the one I recommended, what do you mean by slow? I was more concerned that it was not able to drill through brick walls if needed? please clarify

thanks

p.s. please provide links as I am clueless when it comes to drills instead of saying "buy a cheap £20 cable drill" it means nothing, sorry and thanks

Power and hammer action are the main criteria, then worry about manufacturer, which gives you build quality and durability. B&D and Bosch are both OK brands for DIY level use.

A low-power non-hammer drill will still drill into brick but it will just take a lot longer to get to the required depth than one with higher power and especially hammer action. If you're not sure what hammer action means, it's like banging on the end of the drill bit as it goes round, So it sort of breaks up the brick as well as wearing it away.

You do have to buy separate drill bits unless you get one of those all-in kits that other posters have linked to. For putting screws/plugs into brick walls you want ones called "masonry" bits. These are different from the general purpose drills (often called HSS or high speed steel) that you would use for drilling metal or making a screw hole in wood.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ok thanks,

so what do you recommend?
  • Options
    mike1948mike1948 Posts: 2,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would buy a mains powered drill for several reasons:

I assume that you will only be using the drill occasionally. Batteries lose their charge over time, requiring you to charge it before you can start work or the drill will lose power midway through the job. Batteries are better with constant use.
    A battery will eventually fail completely and a new one may not be available to buy or cost almost as much as a new drill.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ok thanks,

so what do you recommend?

I wouldn't do that, and remember what I and others have said about mains powered drills.

But from my previous link, here's a cordless one with hammer action to consider for the same price as your Homebase one. Wickes' own brand stuff seems OK.

http://www.wickes.co.uk/156V-Combi-Hammer-Drill/invt/195516

Of course you'll have to add £6 delivery if you haven't a nearby store (or buy a few masonry drill bits to get to the free delivery £45 :D)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thanks for the "wickes" link,

Isnt the homebase one better value because I get loads of drill bits with it?

I don't think i will need too much "hammer action" to begin with but maybe something I require later on, so in that case would you not recommend the one from Black n Decker from Homebase?

thank you so much for your help
  • Options
    evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    If you can afford it, you won't do better than an Hitachi DV 18DL, about £215. If not buy a Makita, they make the best drills and they last for years.
  • Options
    PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    please get a stud/cable detector too to avoid drilling into pipes/cables etc when putting up your shelves.

try to locate the studs if it is a reasonably modern property & you are drilling into a non load bearing wall as it will most likely just be plasterboard over wooden frame. plasterboard will take very little weight before failing.
  • Options
    wendy09wendy09 Posts: 3,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    evil c wrote: »
    If you can afford it, you won't do better than an Hitachi DV 18DL, about £215. If not buy a Makita, they make the best drills and they last for years.

complete and utter waste of money for somebody who is going to use the drill occasionally.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    please get a stud/cable detector too to avoid drilling into pipes/cables etc when putting up your shelves.

try to locate the studs if it is a reasonably modern property & you are drilling into a non load bearing wall as it will most likely just be plasterboard over wooden frame. plasterboard will take very little weight before failing.

I think the B&D comes with a detector.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    can i drill through walls to put up shelves and put up curtain rails with the B & D?? and do 99% of household things will it?

so if I do need a heavy duty drill I can also as suggested buy a cheap £20 drill, what do you reckon?

Yes the B & D will drill enough into walls for putting up shelves, curtain rails, etc. Remember you will only be drill in a few cm.

Unless you need to drill all the way through an external wall or your have an old house with really solid walls then B&D or bosch coreless drills are both fine.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »
    complete and utter waste of money for somebody who is going to use the drill occasionally.

Until the time comes when, having bought a cheap drill, it won't do the job you want it to do ;)

OP, buy something with a hammer action, you never know when you might need it.

Other than that, if you're only going to need it the odd time, get something with a cord; if you must have a cordless, get one with a spare battery, so you've always got one fully charged.
  • Options
    jackyorkjackyork Posts: 6,608
    Forum Member
    Is Black and Decker a good make though, compared to Bosch etc?

Like wouldnt a £50 bosch drill be better quality then the black and decker drill?

Bare in mind, I will use it as and when, if at all, its something to have while the sales are on, I just know I will need it sooner rather then later :(

OP Black & Decker is unreliable and cheaply made they are not as good as Bosch that is fact.

This is an example of a cordless Combi/Hammer Drill.

Top RangeTradesman/professional would use ; Makita, Hilti, Milwaukee or Dew alt...The first three are the dogs Bollocks.

Mid Range Tradesman/Diy enthusiasts could go for Ryobi, Dew alt, Bosch

Bottom Range frequent user or once a month Diy user should be looking at Challenge from Argos,Draper, Black&Decker or B&Q own brand.

OP should purchase from the bottom range and look for Cordless Combi/Hammer Drill between 14-18volt with 2 Batteries and a carry case

http://screwfix.com and if I was you Id go for the Titan TTE130COM 18V Cordless Combi Drill 44.95 It can drill Wood,Metal and walls at home if they are made from house brick or breeze block (use good quality drill bits).....But do not attempt stone as you will burn the Drill out before you even mark the stone.