Options

Israel ex-President Moshe Katsav found guilty of rape

CXC3000CXC3000 Posts: 10,258
Forum Member
✭✭
Remember, he was charged whilst in Office.

This is in addition to Israel current FM (Lieberman) who's being investigated bribery and corruption charges.

What a sad, sad state of affairs this is :(

Israel's former President Moshe Katsav has been convicted of rape by a court in Tel Aviv and could go to jail.
He was found guilty of raping an employee in the 1990s when he was tourism minister and of later sexual offences while he was president.The judges said they believed the evidence of the woman whose testimony had led to two charges of rape.

Moshe Katsav resigned from the largely ceremonial post of head of state in 2007 and was indicted in March 2009.

While his resignation caused shock across Israel, it had limited political consequences.

Rape commands a jail term in Israel of at least four years, although Katsav is thought to be likely to contest the conviction in Israel's supreme court.

According to the indictment, the rape charges dated back to April 1998 when the former employee described as Woman A alleged he had first raped her at the tourism ministry office and later at a hotel in Jerusalem.

The further charges related to claims of sexual harassment of two women in 2003 and 2005 during his presidency.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12091982

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't you guys get yourselves a generic "I hate Israel / Palestine" thread you can stick all of these in?
  • Options
    Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I'm getting bored of all this minutae about Israeli politics etc.

Can we have a sticky at the top of the page which says:

Hamas and the IDF are as bad as each other.

Innocent Israelis and Palestinians will continue to be hurt and killed, which is unacceptable.

The UN should be responsible for all Israel/Palestine border issues in order to prevent the extremists on both sides antagonising each other.

Problem solved.
  • Options
    PICKLEDBEETROOTPICKLEDBEETROOT Posts: 126
    Forum Member
    So your point is that all Jews are criminals?
  • Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Windy999 wrote: »
    Can't you guys get yourselves a generic "I hate Israel / Palestine" thread you can stick all of these in?

That's a good idea.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We could have a poll. You could vote for the IDF, Hamas, or "oh FFS grow up, it's a lot more complicated than that".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Israel's ex-president charged with rape; Israel's current FM being investigated for bribery and corruption.

Surely the world has a right to know what's happening in such influential circles ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    CXC3000 wrote: »
    Israel's ex-president charged with rape; Israel's current FM being investigated for bribery and corruption.

Surely the world has a right to know what's happening in such influential circles ?
    Is it ok if i post every negative story i can find about Palestinians then?
  • Options
    AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Windy999 wrote: »

Or even give them their own forum where they can spend all day boring each other, instead of clogging up this forum with it.
  • Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well as it is widely reported they already do, but I think you mean you couldn't resist posting in on DS for your own reasons.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Little tufty, CX's sidekick will be along in a minute to accuse us of being Zionist trolls.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Is it ok if i post every negative story i can find about Palestinians then?

If true (and for good reason), I can't see why not.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If true (and for good reason), I can't see why not.
    Unbelievable:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Unbelievable:D

Thank you :)
  • Options
    robot1000robot1000 Posts: 2,164
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if any other neighbouring arab countries would prosecute a former president and send them to prison?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    robot1000 wrote: »
    I wonder if any other neighbouring arab countries would prosecute a former president and send them to prison?

We know how despot certain Arab regimes are.

Are you really comparing Israel (an apparent democracy) to them ? :confused:
  • Options
    2+2=52+2=5 Posts: 24,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I'm getting bored of all this minutae about Israeli politics etc.

Can we have a sticky at the top of the page which says:

Hamas and the IDF are as bad as each other.

Innocent Israelis and Palestinians will continue to be hurt and killed, which is unacceptable.

The UN should be responsible for all Israel/Palestine border issues in order to prevent the extremists on both sides antagonising each other.

Problem solved.

Not sure what your problem is but this is being reported widely across media outlets. It is hardly 'minutia'.

I don't think you'd be as annoyed if a different FM had posted it.

Its a headline story so what's with all the aggro?
  • Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Remember, he was charged whilst in Office.

This is in addition to Israel current FM (Lieberman) who's being investigated bribery and corruption charges.

What a sad, sad state of affairs this is :(

Israel's former President Moshe Katsav has been convicted of rape by a court in Tel Aviv and could go to jail.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12091982

Surely this belongs in General Discussion?
  • Options
    Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well if you know that, why don't you start threads attacking the corruption there?
  • Options
    sutiesutie Posts: 32,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aftershow wrote: »
    Or even give them their own forum where they can spend all day boring each other, instead of clogging up this forum with it.

Sounds like a winner.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Annsyre wrote: »
    Surely this belongs in General Discussion?

Not really. And if it was posted in that section, it would only get moved to here ('Politics').

Are you really comparing Israel (an apparent democracy) to them ?
    Well if you know that, why don't you start threads attacking the corruption there?

We know the state of those regimes. Why post something we already know ? :confused:
  • Options
    AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2+2=5 wrote: »
    I don't think you'd be as annoyed if a different FM had posted it.

That's the point. It's the same tedious individuals (on both 'sides') posting the same sort of crap, day in day out, to try and further their own agenda.
  • Options
    robot1000robot1000 Posts: 2,164
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

As I said, which 'apparent' democracy would sent an ex President to jail?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's the point. It's the same tedious individuals posting the same crap day in day out to try and further their own agenda.

With respect, if you don't like certain threads, you can always pass by them.
  • Options
    sutiesutie Posts: 32,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's the point. It's the same tedious individuals (on both 'sides') posting the same sort of crap, day in day out, to try and further their own agenda.

In a nutshell.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    robot1000 wrote: »
    As I said, which 'apparent' democracy would sent an ex President to jail?

The fact is that Israel's ex-president has been charged with heinous offenses, the current FM is being investigated on corruption and bribery charges, and even the (current) PM, Netanyahu, has a shady past.

It makes for sad reading.