Apple getting desperate

Comments

• whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    calico_pie wrote: »
    It's not fluffy marketing BS.

Once pixel density gets to around 300 PPI on a device typically held at the sort of distance a phone is, then individual pixels are pretty much impossible to notice.

I'm genuinely bemused by the resistance to this fact.

The fact there are not exact numbers means the term "retina" is marketing BS. Obviously PPI is important and distance held from eyes is important, but Apple just make up what is retina to suit themselves. The marketing BS is also the fact that Apple say they are the only makers of retina.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For any phone with a PPI greater than 300, you'd have to hold it uncomfortably close to your eyes to notice individual pixels.

Thats not actually true either. You clearly haven't seen an aliased line on an image on a retina display. The pixels can be seen.
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    Rudeness aside, those two sentences contradict one another.

No rudeness, and no they don't.
    More vibrant AKA over saturated.

Rubbish. Especially with Samsung phones as you can change it.

I bet your telly is over saturated. In fact 99.9999% of people's are as its the way we like it.....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    As for the iphone screen being the best, i think you need to pop to the nearest optician. The 4/4S was absolutely awful. Dull colours, yellow whites etc. My first N4 i will admit wasn't great. But i got a new N4 the other week and its much much better. The iphone 5 isnt bad at all. Compared to the iphone 5 i would say the N4 is on par if not better.

Bright blacks too.
    Forum Member
    Bright blacks too.

A dark grey more like!
  • Hugh_Hugh_ Posts: 951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I guarantee you cannot tell the difference between pentile and non. Unless you have a microscope,

I can tell the difference an so can you, you even said so although you claimed to have to tilt the screen. Pentile screens are awful over saturated crap and you know it. Samsung only use them as they're cheap. Screen under the Retina brand are class and industry leading.
  • Mr. CoolMr. Cool Posts: 1,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The fact there are not exact numbers means the term "retina" is marketing BS. Obviously PPI is important and distance held from eyes is important, but Apple just make up what is retina to suit themselves. The marketing BS is also the fact that Apple say they are the only makers of retina.

Exactly. In the same way an iSight camera is the same as any other camera.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hugh_ wrote: »
    I can tell the difference an so can you, you even said so although you claimed to have to tilt the screen. Pentile screens are awful over saturated crap and you know it. Samsung only use them as they're cheap. Screen under the Retina brand are class and industry leading.

Lol, what a load of tripe.

Feel free to blindly follow a company because they tell you their stuff is better when in fact its trailing behind the mainstream now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr. Cool wrote: »
    Exactly. In the same way an iSight camera is the same as any other camera.

Yup, just marketing speak. But you could find hundreds of examples across dozens of companies without doing much searching.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Pure crap. PenTile are cheap?

Also, Samsung and LG produce LCD panels for Apple devices. There is no such thing as a Retina panel.
    Forum Member

No you cant whatsoever see the difference.

Retina brand?

They are not industry leading! As always with apple they are way behind in terms of a decent resolution and now PPI.

You know this argument would have some merit if apple even made the bloody screens which are of course made by Samsung, LG and Sharp!! It's like everything else though with apple, they make nothing at all. Instead, all of their stuff if cobbled together and put together by one of the cheapest and nastiest companies on the planet.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Screen under the Retina brand are class and industry leading.
    They are done to a set theme.

Yet I do not trust reviews on them. There is a current lawsuit that complained that LG versions were misled and crap compared to the Samsung version. They really have a point if there are differences in quality between an LG one and the better Samsung one.
    Some here might recall that advice 'Make sure its got the Samsung screen'.

Now, can you really trust that a review corresponds to your actual screen in the iPhone? With supposedly 3 manufacturers of it now it does makes me wonder.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's like everything else though with apple, they make nothing at all. Instead, all of their stuff if cobbled together and put together by one of the cheapest and nastiest companies on the planet.

Haha, sometimes you just can't prevent your almost pathological hatred of Apple bubbling to the surface, can you? ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    They are done to a set theme.

Yet I do not trust reviews on them. There is a current lawsuit that complained that LG versions were misled and crap compared to the Samsung version. They really have a point if there are differences in quality between an LG one and the better Samsung one.
    Some here might recall that advice 'Make sure its got the Samsung screen'.

Now, can you really trust that a review corresponds to your actual screen in the iPhone? With supposedly 3 manufacturers of it now it does makes me wonder.

No. If I remember correctly the LG panels suffered from image retention due to a low refresh rate, which Apple tried to cover up. It's a lottery...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not unusual for a company to use a number of suppliers for components though, is it? Even for a single component like the screen. Particularly when they're needed in massive quantities.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not unusual for a company to use a number of suppliers for components though, is it? Even for a single component like the screen. Particularly when they're needed in massive quantities.

No its not, but there cant be anything special about the screens if there is so much choice of manufacturer.
  • calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Apple didn't "just make up" the fact that a sufficiently high PPI will render individual pixels invisible.

It's absurd to suggest that that is something that Apple "just made up".
  • calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No rudeness, and no they don't.

Rubbish. Especially with Samsung phones as you can change it.

I bet your telly is over saturated. In fact 99.9999% of people's are as its the way we like it.....

Calling another poster a dope was rude.

Yes, they do contradict each other.

The first says it means nothing.

The second says what it means.

That some people might prefer screens to be over saturated doesn't change the fact that they are over saturated.

And no, our tv isn't that over saturated, or at least not as much as it would be with its default settings.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apple didn't "just make up" the fact that a sufficiently high PPI will render individual pixels invisible.

It's absurd to suggest that that is something that Apple "just made up".

Why has the ideal PPI changed so much then?
    Forum Member
    Haha, sometimes you just can't prevent your almost pathological hatred of Apple bubbling to the surface, can you? ;)

No hatred here.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No its not, but there cant be anything special about the screens if there is so much choice of manufacturer.
    I think you can tell by the colour tint. Some are blue and some yellow.

So when people upgrade and have 2 phones its quite random which model's screen they prefer.
    When all's said and done, its just another screen.
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Exactly. This question has been constantly (and I think purposely) overlooked and glazed over with vague remarks about viewing distances etc.

The fact is, Apple themselves declared the "magic number" to be 300ppi. So the fact that they have gone and labelled the iPad 4 display as "retina" shows that that tag is just meaningless.

The Nexus 10 is the only tablet with a display that could be labelled as "retina". Regardless of the "viewing distances" or whatever, you still have to zoom on the screen to see the pixels in more detail, and the iPad 4 resolution is just low especially for the screen size.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well, no. They're just screens with a certain resolution and PPI.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Because their is no official definition, meaning Retina could be anything. It could be 100PPI if Apple wanted it to be.

I can't stress how manipulative/crap it is...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    The Nexus 10 is the only tablet with a display that could be labelled as "retina". Regardless of the "viewing distances" or whatever, you still have to zoom on the screen to see the pixels in more detail, and the iPad 4 resolution is just low especially for the screen size.

It really isn't though. 2048x1536 is hardly low resolution. Yes, it's less than the Nexus 10, but it's still high. Professional reviews generally conclude that the iPad 3/4 and the Nexus 10 both have exceptional displays.