Mary Queen Of The High Street

13»

Comments

• Options
    MRSgotobedMRSgotobed Posts: 3,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oulandy wrote: »
    'I love Margate' (with red heart symbol) would have been more inspiring than the dubious scribble she did come up with.

You can get those in the form of a tote bag from The Cup cake cafe in Margate old town. I can't stand Trace and her little sketches. In the town, local art students rent empty shop spaces as galleries and show their brilliant work for free.

I moved this way ten years ago and I think Margate is picking up, it's really grown on me. I can't believe those Tim Nice but Dim characters had never eard of Margate. Well worth their knobby education, probably know some far off island,off the beaten track in Thailand, but know bugger all about UK.
  • Options
    Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find the barrage of negativity she faces, so depressing. Give her her due she gets off her backside and makes things happen, but every time, she needs a miracle to find one person prepared to adapt or open their minds to change.

In our local town centre, you walk into one of the bigger clothes chains and there's a terrible sense of apathy and "what's the point!" The bosses either haven't a clue, never visit their stores, or know that they don't have to bother because young people have nowhere else to shop! So people put up with hideous lighting and changing rooms whose walls are covered in that many dubious stains they look more like a public toilet!

In sharp constrast, a few doors down, there's a small cheap and trendy clothes shop, with glamorous and opulent changing rooms where you're not scared to try on clothes! Turns out the young shop assistant, felt the tired changing rooms let the place down. After being refused money for a pot of paint, she dipped into her own pocket and bought metres of glittery fabric which she draped over the walls and set to work with a staple gun!

At 20, she had the vision that her bosses lacked and the shop always looks busy. It's this kind of enterprising and resourceful attitude that's so refreshing, but becoming rare.
  • Options
    achroachro Posts: 3,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.thisiskent.co.uk/Margate-Town-Team-volunteers-complain-unfair/story-18991743-detail/story.html#axzz2TM5ZeI14

Margate Town Team made a complaint 4 to OFCOM of Channel 4 being "unfair" and presenting them as "unwelcoming and hostile".

Good god. They WERE unwelcoming and hostile. They did it all on their own.

Then they continued to relentlessly attack her through the media, for no actual legitimate reason, before the show even aired.

Really nasty people. :sleep:
  • Options
    Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find the barrage of negativity she faces, so depressing. Give her her due she gets off her backside and makes things happen, but every time, she needs a miracle to find one person prepared to adapt or open their minds to change.

In our local town centre, you walk into one of the bigger clothes chains and there's a terrible sense of apathy and "what's the point!" The bosses either haven't a clue, never visit their stores, or know that they don't have to bother because young people have nowhere else to shop! So people put up with hideous lighting and changing rooms whose walls are covered in that many dubious stains they look more like a public toilet!

In sharp constrast, a few doors down, there's a small cheap and trendy clothes shop, with glamorous and opulent changing rooms where you're not scared to try on clothes! Turns out the young shop assistant, felt the tired changing rooms let the place down. After being refused money for a pot of paint, she dipped into her own pocket and bought metres of glittery fabric which she draped over the walls and set to work with a staple gun!

At 20, she had the vision that her bosses lacked and the shop always looks busy. It's this kind of enterprising and resourceful attitude that's so refreshing, but becoming rare.

I agree, but I guess that's why she's successful and most people aren't. Most people only see the pitfalls in ideas, not the positives and they often feel threatened by change even if what they are doing isn't working ( It's the default position for many of us and I have to reluctantly include myself in that :o)

What I admire about Mary is the way she ignores the negativity and just carries on regardless.
  • Options
    SXTonySXTony Posts: 2,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was quite surprised at Emin's rebranding effort. That must have taken her all of a minute, and half of that was probably looking for a pen.

Then I thought they'd work the slogan up into a proper logo, but they just used her scrawl as is.

I quite enjoyed the overall show though.
  • Options
    katherine500000katherine500000 Posts: 569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know she can be irritating but you cant knock her positive attitude towards life
  • Options
    oulandyoulandy Posts: 18,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MRSgotobed wrote: »
    You can get those in the form of a tote bag from The Cup cake cafe in Margate old town. I can't stand Trace and her little sketches. In the town, local art students rent empty shop spaces as galleries and show their brilliant work for free.

I moved this way ten years ago and I think Margate is picking up, it's really grown on me. I can't believe those Tim Nice but Dim characters had never eard of Margate. Well worth their knobby education, probably know some far off island,off the beaten track in Thailand, but know bugger all about UK.

That's good to hear. I was hoping that the programme and funding would give it a shot in the arm and the town team would build on that.

Yes, it's astonishing to hear young Londoners saying they had never heard of Margate, especially considering all the media and sources of information these days, never mind so many years of free education.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's good to hear. I was hoping that the programme and funding would give it a shot in the arm and the town team would build on that.

Yes, it's astonishing to hear young Londoners saying they had never heard of Margate, especially considering all the media and sources of information these days, never mind so many years of free education.

Many young Londoners think that the world begins and ends at the M25. They'd be amazed to know that there is a big wide world outside of their city bubble.

London is not representative of the rest of the country in anyway shape or form. It's a world unto itself.
  • Options
    Funk YouFunk You Posts: 6,864
    Forum Member

Margate hasn't picked up its still the same..

Dreamland has been bought by the council and apparently its going to be opened up next year, so they say! so will be another year at least till we see any improvement.
  • Options
    Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scotlass wrote: »
    I think Mary Portas is a publicity hunter, can't really stand her

She comes across as a pretty rancid piece of work,
  • Options
    MRSgotobedMRSgotobed Posts: 3,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Funk You wrote: »
    Margate hasn't picked up its still the same..

Dreamland has been bought by the council and apparently its going to be opened up next year, so they say! so will be another year at least till we see any improvement.

Lol,Yes, because the Ramsgate seafront development has been really quick to get up and running...not and has not been an eyesore for years...ahem

I came to this area with fresh eyes,(that doesn't sound right, but you know what I mean), and there is a great history here in Thanet. Margate is one of a good few seasides. Manston's spitfire museum and RAF museum, Broadstairs, Shell Grotto in Margate. There are some lovely vintage shops in Margate old Town and the beach is nice, but there is Westgate Beach, Westbrook, Pegwell Bay...just loads of places.
    I think Uk coast and Britain is lovely, I just wish our councils would see what they have instead of letting the caves shut, letting Dreamland site go to ruin, letting Motor museum in Ramsgate shut and letting occasions like Skelly Night disappear. The Grand Turk, the ship featured in tv series Hornblower, was in Ramsgate Harbour for a week in May every year when we first moved here, but these things just disappear. Oh and most importantly a few years ago in Eastenders, Dot and Jim Branning came to Ramsgate for a holiday, now what an endorsement.
  • Options
    ValentineValentine Posts: 3,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

In what way? I don't think she does at all - she's got a positive attitude and is trying to help these people. Had I been on the receiving end of what she got - face to face and the online abuse about her sexuality - I'd have told them to get on with living in their shithole and been on the first train back to London!
  • Options
    Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

To hold such a bitter and venomous opinion of a person, you should at least back it up and tell us why. :confused:
  • Options
    guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone else watching?...I quite like that handbag!
  • Options
    lea_uklea_uk Posts: 9,648
    Forum Member
    Not sure about the bags and the shrink-wrapped spices :eek:
  • Options
    phill363phill363 Posts: 24,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Local Councils suffocating the high-street again and people blame the supermarkets :rolleyes:.
  • Options
    divingbboydivingbboy Posts: 14,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Make it easy and affordable for people to park, and they will come. Local councils have strangled the high street.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They aren't exactly helping them selves feel sorry for Lynne(Shoe shop lady? is that her name)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wish they would bring back Mary Queen of Shops, the last series was the best with that bakery woman.
  • Options
    divingbboydivingbboy Posts: 14,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Repossessed premises! Landlord probably just wanted them to refurbish.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    phill363 wrote: »
    Local Councils suffocating the high-street again and people blame the supermarkets :rolleyes:.
    divingbboy wrote: »
    Make it easy and affordable for people to park, and they will come. Local councils have strangled the high street.

Totally agree. Local councils have got a lot to answer for.
  • Options
    charliesayscharliesays Posts: 1,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Totally agree. Local councils have got a lot to answer for.

I have to work with them day in, day out. The odd person aside, it would be hard to find a more incompetent, yet self important group of people.

And they get to spend our hard earned money. It's horrifying to witness first hand the sheet amount of waste that goes on.
  • Options
    KerryKatKerryKat Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    Anyone know why the 3rd episode in Liskeard is not being repeated?
    All the scheduled repeats on Ch4 and 47 were substituted for other programmes and it is not available on 4OD either! Suspicious methinks!