Options

Bought Wii from eBay, need advice.......

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
Forum Member
Hiya everyone.

I bought a Nintendo Wii from eBay last week and it arrived today, the Wii turns on okay and the remote comes on, but I can't get the movement hand thing to come up (The hand that appears on screen to click things) I can push the little house to make the menu thing appear and I can push the plus and minus to make the screen shift left and right, but no hand.

On closer inspection of the sensor bar, I noticed it has a split on it (I can see the wires) could this be causing the problem? Even though I can make the screen go left and right?

I really do want the Wii, so is it worth me buying a new sensor bar from eBay (They are only £2) or sending it back for a refund?

Any opinions on this would be great :)

Comments

• Options
    beemohbeemoh Posts: 7,073
    Forum Member
    On closer inspection of the sensor bar, I noticed it has a split on it (I can see the wires) could this be causing the problem? Even though I can make the screen go left and right?

I really do want the Wii, so is it worth me buying a new sensor bar from eBay (They are only £2) or sending it back for a refund?

Switch everything on, and look at the sensor bar through a digital camera- you should be able to see a couple of lights at each end. If they're not on, it's because the bar is hooped.

You can check if the remote is what's not working by- and this isn't a joke- having someone else hold two TV remotes, one at each end of the sensor bar, facing the Wii Remote and having them hold down a button.
  • Options
    blindyfulblindyful Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    beemoh wrote: »
    Switch everything on, and look at the sensor bar through a digital camera- you should be able to see a couple of lights at each end. If they're not on, it's because the bar is hooped.

You can check if the remote is what's not working by- and this isn't a joke- having someone else hold two TV remotes, one at each end of the sensor bar, facing the Wii Remote and having them hold down a button.

I agree with the above poster. See the link below for more info about the sensor bar lights.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-Yg6BoGY7M

If there is any fault then you should contact the seller to resolve it. If the fault is the sensor bar then any decent seller will offer you a part refund or buy you a new sensor bar. You will have to pay for the postage if you decide to return it even if the fault is with the seller.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hiya Thanks for the replies,

I have just looked at the sensor bar through my PC USB camera, and a cheap camera on a nokia phone, and I don't see any lights I don't have any decent digi cam so I'm not sure if the two I tried would work the same?

Also, is it possible for the bar to be broken but for it still to activate the little house and move left and right? If that makes sense?

I only have one TV remote, I will see if I can borrow one somehow to test the other method :)
  • Options
    mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...having someone else hold two TV remotes, one at each end of the sensor bar, facing the Wii Remote and having them hold down a button.

...Eh?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I have just unplugged the sensor bar, and it still allows me to go left and right :eek: I have no idea how that works but now I really do think it's a sensor bar issue, I shall buy a new one and see what happens next, thanks everyone :)
  • Options
    blindyfulblindyful Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Hiya Thanks for the replies,

I have just looked at the sensor bar through my PC USB camera, and a cheap camera on a nokia phone, and I don't see any lights I don't have any decent digi cam so I'm not sure if the two I tried would work the same?

Also, is it possible for the bar to be broken but for it still to activate the little house and move left and right? If that makes sense?

I only have one TV remote, I will see if I can borrow one somehow to test the other method :)

You should be able to see the lights through the nokia phone. The sensor bar is used to control the hand pointer which is why you can activate the little house and move left & right.

You can also use 2 lit tea lights instead of 2 remote controls to mimic the sensor bar.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JA76mr1uEs
  • Options
    Forum Member
    blindyful wrote: »
    You should be able to see the lights through the nokia phone. The sensor bar is used to control the hand pointer which is why you can activate the little house and move left & right.

You can also use 2 lit tea lights instead of 2 remote controls to mimic the sensor bar.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JA76mr1uEs

I am in shock that this actually worked, two lights and it works....... WOW, I had no idea that this was possible - thank you so much for your help atleast now I know it's a sensor bar issue and I can replace it, I am still shocked that worked.

Thank you :)
  • Options
    beemohbeemoh Posts: 7,073
    Forum Member
    mred2000 wrote: »
    ...Eh?
    I am in shock that this actually worked, two lights and it works....... WOW, I had no idea that this was possible - thank you so much for your help atleast now I know it's a sensor bar issue and I can replace it, I am still shocked that worked.

The sensor bar doesn't actually do much- it's just a pair of infra-red lights which the Wii remote uses to work out where it's pointing, and then it transfers that information (alongside info about the buttons being pressed) back to the Wii via Bluetooth.

This is why the TV remote method works- they use infra-red to transmit the information (which is much less complex than that the Wii Remote uses) so if the Wii Remote sees it, it will simply interpret is as being where one end of the sensor bar is.

Try looking at the end of your TV remote through a digicam when pressing a button- you should see a light of some description coming from the end.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The sensor bar doesn't actually do much- it's just a pair of infra-red lights which the Wii remote uses to work out where it's pointing, and then it transfers that information (alongside info about the buttons being pressed) back to the Wii via Bluetooth.

This is why the TV remote method works- they use infra-red to transmit the information (which is much less complex than that the Wii Remote uses) so if the Wii Remote sees it, it will simply interpret is as being where one end of the sensor bar is.

Try looking at the end of your TV remote through a digicam when pressing a button- you should see a light of some description coming from the end.

Played for a few hours last night, thank you so much for that cool tip, I had no idea this would work :)