World Cup Squad. The Excellent and The Poor Choices

Comments

• posiepebblesposiepebbles Posts: 1,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bosox wrote: »
    It's a shame this thread has devolved into people slagging off different players because they don't like the various clubs they play for. We need Premiership fans to get beyond partisan rivalries if we are to get behind the national team.

Bit presumptuous to assume that the reason people are slagging players off is because of their clubs. Especially given that nobody could claim that United players, for example, have covered themselves in glory this year.

But I may be guilty of being overly-negative about some players and, for that, I apologise. And I will get behind the national team, even though they've often made it pretty difficult over the years :)
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well done to Roy Hodgson for this squad.

My only queries are Lampard, who we need to move on from IMHO, Cleverley on standby, who is not good enough for England right now & Phil Jones who isn't fit.

England have a history of taking semi-fit players to tournaments & touching more wood than a carpenter in the hope that the players are fit enough & they usually turn out not to be.

Apart from those, I'd say spot on from Roy & I'm staggered that he, of all people, have picked these players.
  • heikerheiker Posts: 7,029
    Forum Member
    I don't get Danny Welbeck. Can anyone explain him?

I don't get the inclusion of Rooney, Lampard and Gerrard. That's unless you judge total abject failure at previous tournaments as some sort of tactical advantage.
  • Joey BoswellJoey Boswell Posts: 25,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JMTD wrote: »
    If they didn't play for United they wouldn't be getting half the sh*t that they are directed towards them.

Exactly, the World Cup hasn't even started, but 'The Lets Bash United Players Picked for England' has.

Boring, and so utterly predictable.
  • adamski94adamski94 Posts: 3,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    heiker wrote: »
    I don't get the inclusion of Rooney, Lampard and Gerrard. That's unless you judge total abject failure at previous tournaments as some sort of tactical advantage.

Gerrard is the captian so he has to be involved
  • Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bit presumptuous to assume that the reason people are slagging players off is because of their clubs. Especially given that nobody could claim that United players, for example, have covered themselves in glory this year.

But I may be guilty of being overly-negative about some players and, for that, I apologise. And I will get behind the national team, even though they've often made it pretty difficult over the years :)

It isn't presumptuous because it happens every single time, without fail. And it's not just United who suffer.

Completley agree with your last sentence though.
  • codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    adamski94 wrote: »

I wouldnt play him.

Wilshire and gerrard will be no protection for the back 4 in the world cup.
  • ChizzlefaceChizzleface Posts: 8,221
    Forum Member
    Exactly, the World Cup hasn't even started, but 'The Lets Bash United Players Picked for England' has.

Smalling isn't getting games at United, Welbeck is in poor form and Jones isn't reliable as a defender, being too rash in challenges. There can be a reasonable case made for all three of those to not be in the squad.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well no, no he doesn't, not at all.
  • JoooeJoooe Posts: 8,656
    Forum Member

It's got nothing to do with Man Utd. Half the players who get picked for England seem to get bashed. Just look at the shit Hart, Cahill and Milner take every time they play.

If whinging was a World Cup, we'd win.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bosox wrote: »
    It's a shame this thread has devolved into people slagging off different players because they don't like the various clubs they play for. We need Premiership fans to get beyond partisan rivalries if we are to get behind the national team.

You must be joking, unfortunately that will not happen.
  • heikerheiker Posts: 7,029
    Forum Member

Take the role off him and give it to a younger player. No one should have the god given right to go to Rio.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joooe wrote: »
    It's got nothing to do with Man Utd. Half the players who get picked for England seem to get bashed. Just look at the shit Hart, Cahill and Milner take every time they play.

If whinging was a World Cup, we'd win.

Whos been slagged off the most in this thread so far - hmmmm Man United players.

Ive never seen Cahill bashed - im glad he's going to The World Cup.
  • adamski94adamski94 Posts: 3,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    codeblue wrote: »
    I wouldnt play him.

Wilshire and gerrard will be no protection for the back 4 in the world cup.

Gerrard has just had one of his best season as a player and he is a natural leader
  • NightHawk123NightHawk123 Posts: 7,015
    Forum Member
    heiker wrote: »
    Take the role off him and give it to a younger player. No one should have the god given right to go to Rio.

I just hope his "Hollywood" cross-field passes come off in the WC. Half the time they don't.
  • codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whos been slagged off the most in this thread so far - hmmmm Man United players.

Ive never seen Cahill bashed - im glad he's going to The World Cup.

Cahill is an excellent player. He had performed excellently for chelsea this season and is a great professional.
  • OhWhenTheSaintsOhWhenTheSaints Posts: 12,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good squad. I'd have had Ruddy instead of Carson and Cole instead of Baines but that's about it
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't get Danny Welbeck. Can anyone explain him?

He's one of those strange breed of players who looks better at international level than he does for his club.
  • posiepebblesposiepebbles Posts: 1,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jamesp84 wrote: »
    It isn't presumptuous because it happens every single time, without fail. And it's not just United who suffer.

Completley agree with your last sentence though.

I've admired and supported many players from other clubs when they've put on an England shirt - I really thought Rooney was going to win us Euro 2004, for example. But Lampard is past his sell-by date and United players really had to stand out individually to justify selection, given the club's poor season. And, in my opinion, those being debated (Smalling and Welbeck) have not done so.
  • jake1981jake1981 Posts: 5,713
    Forum Member
    Maybe Lampard is in the squad so he can come off the bench to take penalties

Guessing at the first 5 in a shoot out ....

Baines
    Rooney
    Sturridge
    Gerrard
    Lampard

Not sure which one I'd fancy to advertise Pizza :D
  • ChizzlefaceChizzleface Posts: 8,221
    Forum Member
    Good squad. I'd have had Ruddy instead of Carson and Cole instead of Baines but that's about it

You'd leave Baines out? Also, who is Carson?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Smalling isn't getting games at United, Welbeck is in poor form and Jones isn't reliable as a defender, being too rash in challenges. There can be a reasonable case made for all three of those to not be in the squad.

Welbeck plays better for England then he does for United, has done well in qualifcations.
  • Watcher #1Watcher #1 Posts: 9,015
    Forum Member
    What the squad highlights is how woefully short England are at centre back. Jagielka and Cahill are good, but Jones and Smalling are not international class defenders.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And so DS World Cup Silly Season begins, and we've got a month before the thing starts yet.

Great...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jamesp84 wrote: »
    And so DS World Cup Silly Season begins, and we've got a month before the thing starts yet.

Great...

Exactlly, and it is only going to get worse.