Finally, Savile's darkest and vilest secret is made public...

Comments

• barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    starsailor wrote: »
    The rumours and whispering about Saville were around for ages:
    http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/rogerb/jokes/HIGNFY.txt

(warning, it's rather (very) graphic language)

Now: apparently it's a hoax, but was written in 1999...so it's been around for a long, long time.
    I remember seeing a clip of this somewhere, so if it was faked it was incredibly well done. I don't remember Merton using such extreme language though.

Edit: It seems that I've joined the ranks of those who swore they've seen it:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H24mFoSWpsc

I could swear that I did though :D
  • muddipawsmuddipaws Posts: 3,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    If you saw the Louis Theroux programme with Savile, you can tell that he was fully aware of all the rumours about him. It's a shame that it probably won't ever be re-shown, because with hindsight, it might reveal all kinds of clues. Strangely enough, it isn't even on YouTube ...

I watched that and it was very unnerving indeed, quite uncomfortable to watch at the time and sort of confirmed to me then that as a kid I just thought he was an odd bloke

What is now out in the public domain is quite sickening, such depravity and people KNEW about it, that's what I find incredible. Even now I don't think anyone has been really brought to task about in, by giving this guy freedom of a hospital surely that's some sort of negligence at least or inadvertent collusion?
  • muddipawsmuddipaws Posts: 3,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What freaks me is that his headstone read "it was good while it lasted"

I believe he knew once he died it would all come out and that he got away with it, which he did. A very smart and devious individual, he knew exactly what he was doing and in his death made it clear to everyone he had gone to his grave unscathed
  • i4ui4u Posts: 54,986
    Forum Member
    I remember seeing a clip of this somewhere, so if it was faked it was incredibly well done. I don't remember Merton using such extreme language though.

Edit: It seems that I've joined the ranks of those who swore they've seen it:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H24mFoSWpsc

I could swear that I did though :D

I think you make an interesting point, although it never happened you actually believe you saw a video of it.
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Deleted.
  • BelaBela Posts: 2,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still think he's done worse. Whether we will ever be told all of it I very much doubt. (When sadists attain power they often diversify their "evil" into lots of different areas. I don't think JS got his thrills out of sex so much as exercising power and I believe he would have tried exercising his power over people in lots of different ways, some even worse than necrophilia, if that's possible.)

Agree. I think it's clear that there were no depths too low for this one, if only just to prove to himself that he could do whatever he liked.
    Forum Member
    What I do not understand is why nobody is being held responsible for letting Saville have the run of some hospitals, children's homes etc. There was a report in the newspapers where some nurses on the ward told children to pretend that they were asleep when Saville visited as they knew what was going on. Why was he allowed unsupervised access to patients and young children????? I believe he was able to take children out of homes for the day!!! Everyone is talking about Saville but nobody seems to be held responsible for allowing him access to children etc WHY?? Nothing can be done about Saville as he is dead but other people out there should be held responsible.

Possibly those people are dead themselves, unknown or don't exist? Here's example of what the NHS has been dealing with....
    Cardiff Royal Infirmary - The Claim: (Made to Yewtree)

Patient A is unable to recall the specific date although is certain that it occurred on New Years Eve 1963/1964 1964/1965.

Patient A, who was 21/22 years of age at the time, had been an in-patient at CRI to have an ear operation. .... At midnight on New Years Eve, Matron (or the Night Sister) attended the ward with three men. Whilst the nurse stood at the end of the ward with the two men talking, patient A was approached by an individual believed to be Jimmy Savile (JS).

He was dressed in a tracksuit and had long blonde hair. He was wearing jewellery and was walking quickly around the ward. He took the patient’s left hand and started to kiss it and moved up kissing her arm whilst leaning on the bed. When he got near her shoulder/armpit she felt very uncomfortable and pulled the sheets over herself. The male, believed to be JS then moved away to the next patient.

Although no firm agreement could be made on the date, Patient A could recall that she had been admitted for an ear operation and described how she had been in a 6-8 bedded area which consisted of mostly elderly patients.

The Evidence
    Patients A’s medical records, hospital and GP records were examined. Current GP records contained entries from 1963, 1969 and 1971. There was no mention of admission to the CRI in these hand written notes and they were very brief in detail.

The review of patients A’s health records associated with her admission to the CRI consisted of three documents....These documents are dated between the 10th May and the 23rd of May 1965. The discharge summary indicated that surgery on patient A’s left ear had been undertaken. The date of the surgery on the observation chart has been recorded as the 12th of May and date of admission has been recorded as the 10th of May.
    There is a discrepancy in the date provided by patient A and the dates identified within the medical (health care) records. Patient A said that she was in the CRI for an ear operation over the period of the New Year. Records however show that surgery was carried out in the CRI in May 1965.

As patient A does not wish to be involved in the investigation it is not possible to clarify this with her.

A detailed review of archived material was examined as well as newspapers, photographs and internet searches. Several staff who were employed in the CRI during the 1960’s and who could still be contacted were also asked for their recollections of events and any attendance at CRI by JS. These former CRI staff (7 in total) could not recall JS visiting CRI in the 1960s nor could they recall any allegations of the nature raised by patient A being made at the time.

There was no mention of JS in any archived material, this included minutes of Hospital Board meetings during the 1960s, visitor’s books or newspaper cuttings.

A further search was carried out at Cardiff Central Library using a microfiche reader. All copies of the Western Mail and South Wales Echo from the early to late 1960s were viewed. There was no story dedicated to JS in connection with the CRI during this time frame.
    Forum Member
    Here's another example why identifying staff or even the hospital could be a problem...
    Booth Hall Hospital - Manchester - The Claim:

In 1974, when the alleged victim was 9 or 10 years old he was a patient in hospital. He named the hospital as ‘Middleton Hospital’. He alleges that the nurses told the patients Jimmy Savile was coming to visit and that they were to hide under the covers and pretend to be asleep. Savile then came over to the bed put his hands under the sheets and onto the victim’s genitals. The victim alleges he then chased Savile from the ward.

He reported that he had told his parents when they visited and that they had reported this to Middleton Police Station. On interview he reported that it had been an Aunt and Uncle who had visited in hospital, when asked if they could be interviewed stated “no, you won’t get anything out of them”.

The Evidence:
    Adult records only were located for alleged victim B/4055 (paediatric in patient circa 1974).

Identification of which staff members would need to be located is also problematic. Alleged victim B/4055 is not clear or consistent as to what hospital he was in or when.

Some of the information discussed changed during the course of the interview and indeed conflicted with information given earlier....Examples of this relate to the description of the hospital, key individuals being currently living or dead and the medical history evidenced in current medical notes not detailing the previous significant medical history.

The view formed is that it is not possible at the current time to locate any evidence to corroborate the statement made by the alleged victim and that this statement has lacked detail and consistency throughout.

The investigator concludes that as, enquiries with the Charities Team in relation to records of donation have not provided any evidence to link Savile formally with the Hospital and the Operation Yewtree team have indicated that no further allegations have been received to date, on balance, the likelihood of finding anything was low.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    muddipaws wrote: »

I believe he knew once he died it would all come out and that he got away with it, which he did. A very smart and devious individual, he knew exactly what he was doing and in his death made it clear to everyone he had gone to his grave unscathed

Savile was an extremely arrogant and twisted swine. Wanting that on his headstone is a good indication that he wanted to rub what he'd done in people's faces. He even gave a strong hint when being interviewed on the radio that once he had gone, his reputation would be destroyed. I think he knew that he'd end up being hated so long after his death.
  • Gloria FandangoGloria Fandango Posts: 3,834
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    muddipaws wrote: »

It is said that Savile's coffin is in the ground at a 33 degree angle (masonic ) and is encased in concrete. It is also overlooking a school. The plot was chosen by Savile.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT5Lirudf1XzNWRjc3J4J3TyIOEGdO7sXG5kCEjDm08ptMKchJMVw
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is said that Savile's coffin is in the ground at a 33 degree angle (masonic ) and is encased in concrete. It is also overlooking a school. The plot was chosen by Savile.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT5Lirudf1XzNWRjc3J4J3TyIOEGdO7sXG5kCEjDm08ptMKchJMVw

There was a report on our news that his headstone had been (understandably) attacked by vandals, so I can imagine the coffin becoming a target sometime in the future. They had to remove his headstone because it was just provoking individuals in that area. I think they made his coffin more secure by putting more concrete in, although I'm not sure.
  • soundchecksoundcheck Posts: 351
    Forum Member

Disclaimer: I'm not a Mason (I think it's silly), but both sides of the family are involved, even some of the wimmin, and some of my relatives have held extremely high Masonic office.

Every dead Mason I know (and I know a lot of 'em) has been buried flat, just like everyone else. I don't think you can attach Masonic significance to the angle of his burial. I don't think there is any evidence that Savile was a Mason, for that matter, although there is a lot of supposition along the lines of "of course he must be". Membership is a private matter (ie, it's up to each individual member to decide whether they want to declare their membership), but in Savile's heyday he was so revered that I'm sure the head honchos would have actively encouraged him to be open about his membership because of the positive publicity this would have given to Masonry in general.

Savile said that he wanted to be buried at an angle so that he could "look over the city". If, as seems likely, he knew that the truth would come out after his death, perhaps his intention was to look over the school, just to rub it in.

Savile was a member of the Sovereign Military Order of Malta. Some people think that this order is connected with Masonry, but it isn't. There is a Masonic "Order of Malta", which probably accounts for the confusion.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We need to know why Savile was given keys to the hospital, why he was allowed into mortuaries and why he got away with his sickening behaviour for decades. The establishment must know more about this and also why a complaint by Colleen Nolan about Savile groping her on TOTP wasn't followed up by the BBC? I am sure there must have been a network of sex offenders in the establishment and the BBC protecting Savile.
    Another theory I did read about was when a BBC producer caught him hassling a teenage girl and he threatened to expose him to a senior manager, only to be told that Savile could be paid to have him shot.
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    Another theory I did read about was when a BBC producer caught him hassling a teenage girl and he threatened to expose him to a senior manager, only to be told that Savile could be paid to have him shot.

You mean Savile could pay to have him shot?
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You mean Savile could pay to have him shot?

Sorry, seemingly Savile did have a lot of contacts in the underworld, probably from his days as a dancehall manager.
  • nerdgirlfromthek83nerdgirlfromthek83 Posts: 503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What did savile do before he got famous?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What did savile do before he got famous?

Worked down the mines, before being invalided out by a back injury. He then apparently began hiring himself out to play records at social events in halls, with some primitive hi-fi system that, by his account, an electrician friend made by wiring a gramophone to a conventional radio. At some point he became involved in dancehall management, as an employee of a dance-hall chain.
  • nerdgirlfromthek83nerdgirlfromthek83 Posts: 503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Worked down the mines, before being invalided out by a back injury. He then apparently began hiring himself out to play records at social events in halls, with some primitive hi-fi system that, by his account, an electrician friend made by wiring a gramophone to a conventional radio. At some point he became involved in dancehall management, as an employee of a dance-hall chain.

wow I didn't know he was a coal mines worker, so dancehall was how he was approached by TOTP, I think?
    Forum Member
    wow I didn't know he was a coal mines worker, so dancehall was how he was approached by TOTP, I think?

He was a DJ on Radio Luxembourg?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i4u wrote: »
    He was a DJ on Radio Luxembourg?

Yes. He was asked to become a Radio Luxembourg DJ, in the late 1950s, by a station executive who liked his dance-hall patter. From there, he was picked to front the first-ever Top of the Pops on New Year's Day 1964.
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Independent re-ran an interview from 1990- http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/history/it-was-a-relief-when-i-got-the-knighthoodbecause-it-gotme-off-the-hook-an-exclusive-interview-with-jimmy-savile-from-1990-has-a-new-meaning-9571057.html
    His name has only ever been linked to one woman, his mother, whom he called the Duchess.

He was devoted to her – the more so, perhaps, because, as the youngest child of seven, he’d had a fairly scant share of her attention. “I wasn’t her favourite by any means; I was fourth or fifth in the pecking order.” But when he became famous, he laid his fame and money at her feet, and they had l6 years before she died in 1973 where she had “everything”. He once told Joan Bakewell: “We were together all her life and there was nothing we couldn’t do. I got an audience with the Pope. Everything. But then, I was sharing her. When she died she was all mine. The best five days of my life were spent with the Duchess when she was dead. She looked marvellous. She belonged to me. It’s wonderful, is death.”

Sweet dreams everybody.
  • ee-ayee-ay Posts: 3,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JCR wrote: »

From your link,

The best five days of my life were spent with the Duchess when she was dead. She looked marvellous. She belonged to me. It’s wonderful, is death.”

JS's Mother died at his sister's house. It is quite common for Catholics to have a family members body at home before a funeral. Particularly Irish Catholics. I didn't do it with my own parents due to having young son's when they both died.
  • katmobilekatmobile Posts: 10,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    i think i would rather he abused the dead than the living.

I agree however sick abusing the dead is at least they can't be traumatised by being abused - I pity his living victims (some of them vulnerable people with no one to help them) far more and think what he did to them is far more sick.
  • fitnessqueenfitnessqueen Posts: 5,185
    Forum Member
    JCR wrote: »
    Touring the Stoke Mandeville wards with him is a disconcerting experience: when he coos over a young woman paraplegic “A-ha, now I can have my way with you, my dear!” one can only pray that she appreciates the joke. I remember the most frightening thing anyone ever said to me was when I was being wheeled in for a back operation and the junior doctor remarked cheerily, “We’ll have you walking again in two weeks – and if we don’t we’ll send Jimmy Savile to visit you.” Much as I admire Sir James Savile, he is someone I never ever want to be visited by.

This makes me go cold.
  • AKindSoulAKindSoul Posts: 177
    Forum Member
    If you saw the Louis Theroux programme with Savile, you can tell that he was fully aware of all the rumours about him. It's a shame that it probably won't ever be re-shown, because with hindsight, it might reveal all kinds of clues. Strangely enough, it isn't even on YouTube ...

I downloaded all the Louis Theroux episodes about 5 years ago and while making more space on my external hard drive about a year later deleted every episode apart from the Jimmy Savile one. I can't even explain why, I just felt it needed saving.

I watched it again a week ago and you are spot on, with the benefit of hindsight you can pick up on certain things quite easily.

But I could still see why he charmed a lot of people, as much as I watched it wanting to despise him.