Anybody switched their heat on yet?

HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hubby's just gone out so I've switched on a small fan heater. He never feels the cold but I do.

If it stays chilly like this, I will soon be putting the central heating on in the evenings.

I heard someone on the radio yesterday saying that they never put their central heating on until November. I would die!:(

Comments

• EbonyHamsterEbonyHamster Posts: 8,175
    Forum Member
    Ours doesn't go on in winter never mind now

Our electric bill is high enough
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm tempted, but I don't like putting it on before September, at least.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    It is 24 degrees in my house. No need for heat.
  • CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, mine is off for at least 7 months of the year. It won't go on till about October/November at the earliest.
  • AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine is 'on' all year round. I rely on the thermostat to decide when heating is required. It hasn't done anything for several months now but might wake the system up tomorrow the way things are going.
  • SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine's not been on since March and my gas bill in July was £103 cheaper than it was in April. So I'm trying to hold out until late September - let's hope we have an Indian summer !
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    Heating on because the office air conditioning is not working properly and I've been freezing all day and need to thaw out at home. Comes to something when you have to wear a fleece and fingerless gloves at your desk while you type. So glad I'm off for a few weeks now.
  • Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not yet. I'm sat here in my boxer shorts. If I get too cold I'll put my fleece and a pair of pants on.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    Hubby's just gone out so I've switched on a small fan heater. He never feels the cold but I do.

If it stays chilly like this, I will soon be putting the central heating on in the evenings.

I heard someone on the radio yesterday saying that they never put their central heating on until November. I would die!:(
    Funnily enough I was thinking about this earlier myself.
    I like to keep the windows open to keep the room fresh. I also like it being cool rather than wam unless it's really freezing outside.

So in the last few days at points i've been wearing a jumper and thermal socks but the windows are still open.
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Andrue wrote: »
    Mine is 'on' all year round. I rely on the thermostat to decide when heating is required. It hasn't done anything for several months now but might wake the system up tomorrow the way things are going.

Likewise. The heating comes on when it needs to come on. I don't understand why that should only be applicable in certain months. :confused:
  • RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,712
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not me.

My Mother put on her flaming gas fire yesterday. But it's a north facing front room and she's very old.

It is pretty chill for August though.

I'm hoping for an Indian summer to follow.
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I put my heating on for about an hour a couple of nights back as it was really cold and i hate having to dress up like an Eskimo inside my house. And what a difference it made too.....lovely and warm for the rest of the evening. :)
  • WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm living in Canada and the heat probably won't go on until November! We do, however, have the a/c going :D
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 102,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've had my central heating on for the last 2 or 3 nights.......though sometimes I turn it off after a couple of hours and put an electric fire on......I prefer a fire to central heating

I've also had the hot water bottle in bed.......

I'm beginning to feel the cold more and more as I get older........>:(
  • netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My heating hasn't come on so it can't be cold enough yet.
  • Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No - costs too much! I did wear my dressing gown to bed last night though, over the top of my PJs.
  • hooterhooter Posts: 30,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mine went on for a whole hour this evening .lovely and cosy now
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    Likewise. The heating comes on when it needs to come on. I don't understand why that should only be applicable in certain months. :confused:

I think people begrudge having to pay when the companies fleece us enough.
  • CrazyLoopCrazyLoop Posts: 31,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The heating isn't required yet thank you very much and bills are sooooooo expensive :eek:
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 102,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The Tories don't seem to realise that there's a cost of living crisis.........hopefully Labour will mention it now and then...........:)
  • AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think people begrudge having to pay when the companies fleece us enough.
    But that's as true in winter as it is in summer. What we don't understand is why some people seem prepared to tolerate a colder house in summer than they are in winter. If you can tolerate an 18 degree lounge in Summer why not in Winter? Just set your thermostat to the lowest value you can tolerate and leave the system on.
    CrazyLoop wrote: »
    The heating isn't required yet thank you very much and bills are sooooooo expensive :eek:
    But if you have a thermostat there will be no cost when the room is warm enough. My heating is 'on' at the master control but since the thermostat hasn't called for any heat for several months it hasn't cost me a penny. All a thermostat does is switch the heating on and off so why bother doing it yourself? Off is off and no matter how many controls you set to off you can't save any more money.

Of course if you have one of these stupid systems without a thermostat (or something really crap like storage heaters) then it's another matter. But a proper central heating system with a thermostat does not cost money to run if the room temperature is above where the thermostat is set.
  • Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,919
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i have been sitting close to the tv it helps to keep warm without resorting to the central heating
  • CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andrue wrote: »
    But that's as true in winter as it is in summer. What we don't understand is why some people seem prepared to tolerate a colder house in summer than they are in winter. If you can tolerate an 18 degree lounge in Summer why not in Winter? Just set your thermostat to the lowest value you can tolerate and leave the system on.

I do pretty much dress indoors the same all near round, ie shorts and a vest top.

If its really cold I might put some slippers on..
  • lemonbunlemonbun Posts: 5,371
    Forum Member
    We've just put our heating on for an hour - under the pretence that central heating needs to be checked before winter. In truth, it's bloody freezing!!
  • hooterhooter Posts: 30,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lemonbun wrote: »
    We've just put our heating on for an hour - under the pretence that central heating needs to be checked before winter. In truth, it's bloody freezing!!

Agreed....

:(