My Anti Virus Software Expires Soon, What Do You Think Is My Best Option, Renew ?....

2»

Comments

• pavierpavier Posts: 839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought Kaspersky from Barclays was only available for those who had an online account with them.
    I've been using it for years and I think I have the latest version ( version 15.0.2.361 (a) ) installed on a vista and 8.1 pc.
    And yes, always best to uninstall existing antivirus first.
  • Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,107
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im using the free kaspersky version on my tablet and pc. Does what i need it to do.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pavier wrote: »
    I thought Kaspersky from Barclays was only available for those who had an online account with them.
    I've been using it for years and I think I have the latest version ( version 15.0.2.361 (a) ) installed on a vista and 8.1 pc.
    And yes, always best to uninstall existing antivirus first.

It is. To get an activation code for Kaspersky you have to enter some details of your online banking account which is then verified by Barclays and you then receive an e-mail with the code.

You can however download the software regardless but it runs in trial mode until you get the code and stops working after 30 days or something like that.
  • StykerStyker Posts: 49,854
    Forum Member
    Mike_1101 wrote: »
    Except that in my case Barclays give me the full package and no cost to me.

Kaspersky does get top marks
    http://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/home-windows/

I decided to go with Kaspersky, am waiting for Barclays to verify me as a customer, how long do you think I should give them before chasing it up? I'm not sure where/how I'm supposed to put in their code if anmd when it arrives.
  • Mike_1101Mike_1101 Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    I've been using Kaspersky for over a year now. I think it took 4 or 5 days for the licence key code to arrive.
  • GortGort Posts: 7,466
    Forum Member
    When you install Kaspersky, it'll clearly ask you to add the code during installation. If you have installed the trial version and want to add your code when you receive it, then just follow the instructions as explained on the Kaspersky site.
    Forum Member
    I've been using Kaspersky for over a year now. I think it took 4 or 5 days for the licence key code to arrive.
    Gort wrote: »
    When you install Kaspersky, it'll clearly ask you to add the code during installation. If you have installed the trial version and want to add your code when you receive it, then just follow the instructions as explained on the Kaspersky site.

I got the activation code today and so far its working well. I want to thank everyone for their advice and suggestions, I very much appreciate it. :) One thing DS is really good at is that there are always a lot of fellow posters who come up with good advice when its asked for. Thanks again for your help. :)
    Forum Member
    Another year on and the free Kapersky 1 year trial is up. The question I have is if I pay for the Premium version of Malware Bytes will that cover me/protect my PC to the same extent as other anti virus software that are sold in the shops?
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ann_Tenna wrote: »
    I use free AVG and it is excellent.

Avast is another good free option, though personally I became annoyed with the pop-ups associated with it.

I also recommend that you use CCleaner
    (free version) and Malwarebytes (free version)

Before I start my day online, I run CCleaner and the "Fix Performance" on the AVG antivirus and my computer hums.
    If it wasn't for the "Fix Performance" bit I'd be almost convinced you were actually me. :D
  • GortGort Posts: 7,466
    Forum Member
    Styker wrote: »
    Another year on and the free Kapersky 1 year trial is up. The question I have is if I pay for the Premium version of Malware Bytes will that cover me/protect my PC to the same extent as other anti virus software that are sold in the shops?

Maybe I've misunderstood you, but you do realise that you can renew that free Kaspersky offer from Barclays, getting another free year? They've changed it now to two computers that can be protected rather than the previous three, but it's still free to Barclays online banking customers.

More information can be found here: Barclays FAQ

Below is the instructions from Barclays on how to renew the licence:
    Barclays wrote:

BTW, Malwarebytes is complimentary to anti-virus, not a replacement for it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Re-reading the thread again, you do not have a trial version of Kaspersky if you have used the Barclays offer. If you have taken up the Barclays offer you have a full version of Kaspersky effectively for free, which is not the same as a free trial.

As pointed out above it is very easy to renew your free licence and continue to use either the version you currently have or upgrade to the latest version if you are not already using it.

Also there is not a lot of point paying for Malwarebytes Premium. The free version gives you pretty much the same basic level of protection against malware. You just lose a few bells and whistles.

I would also not recommend you use it as a substitute for something like Kaspersky. Although both programs tackle malicious software attempting to do nasty things to your computer they go about it in different ways. So are more complimentary to each other rather then one being a direct substitute for the other. So keep both, renew your free Barclays licence and use the free Malwarebytes and spend the money you are saving on something more enjoyable :)
    Forum Member
    Gort wrote: »
    Maybe I've misunderstood you, but you do realise that you can renew that free Kaspersky offer from Barclays, getting another free year? They've changed it now to two computers that can be protected rather than the previous three, but it's still free to Barclays online banking customers.

More information can be found here: Barclays FAQ

Below is the instructions from Barclays on how to renew the licence:

BTW, Malwarebytes is complimentary to anti-virus, not a replacement for it.
    chrisjr wrote: »
    Re-reading the thread again, you do not have a trial version of Kaspersky if you have used the Barclays offer. If you have taken up the Barclays offer you have a full version of Kaspersky effectively for free, which is not the same as a free trial.

As pointed out above it is very easy to renew your free licence and continue to use either the version you currently have or upgrade to the latest version if you are not already using it.

Also there is not a lot of point paying for Malwarebytes Premium. The free version gives you pretty much the same basic level of protection against malware. You just lose a few bells and whistles.

I would also not recommend you use it as a substitute for something like Kaspersky. Although both programs tackle malicious software attempting to do nasty things to your computer they go about it in different ways. So are more complimentary to each other rather then one being a direct substitute for the other. So keep both, renew your free Barclays licence and use the free Malwarebytes and spend the money you are saving on something more enjoyable :)

Many thanks to both of you, I am trying the renew process and will have to wait for another activation code to be sent as the current licence expired. Will Barclays e-mail me the code or does it go straight to Kapersky? I can't remember how it was done last time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Many thanks to both of you, I am trying the renew process and will have to wait for another activation code to be sent as the current licence expired. Will Barclays e-mail me the code or does it go straight to Kapersky? I can't remember how it was done last time.

You get the code from Kaspersky.

When this one expires don't wait until it runs out before you get a new one. You can get the new code several days before the old one expires and enter it when necessary to extend the licence.
  • Mark in EssexMark in Essex Posts: 3,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Except that in my case Barclays give me the full package and no cost to me.

Kaspersky does get top marks
    http://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/home-windows/

I always thought it was decent and why would Barclays give you a rubbish AV as it's in their interest to keep you virus free?