Options

Going For Gold: Anyone else remember it?

SparkleBabeSparkleBabe Posts: 17,065
Forum Member
✭✭
Quite possibly the most appalling TV gameshow ever.

I used to watch it during the holidays or if I was off school ill and it was so utterly hideous it amazes me how it even got commissioned in the first place. "Lets do a European Quiz show", Im sure it felt like a good idea in the first place.
Then there was that hillarious theme tune :

"The Heat is on the time is right,
its time for you, for you to play the game
cos people are coming everyone's trying.
Trying to beeeee the best that they can
Cos their going for, going for GOLD!"

And then all pictures of the contestants would pop up over the screen. The set was cheap and nasty, the games and question's a joke and that creepy presenter what was his name? Henry something or other.

Comments

• Options
    Phil 2804Phil 2804 Posts: 21,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oi don't slag Henry Kelly, the man is a legend. Going For Gold, one of the best things to grace daytime TV surely? :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Phil 2804 wrote:
    Oi don't slag Henry Kelly, the man is a legend. Going For Gold, one of the best things to grace daytime TV surely? :D

Henry KELLY! Thanks I'd forgotten.

He was strange.
  • Options
    CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    didnt five do there own version of it, under a diffrnt name?
  • Options
    rachierachie Posts: 2,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was a great show! Much better than all the crap that's on daytime telly these days.

Although maybe the non-UK contestants were at a slight language disadvantage!
  • Options
    pelicanopelicano Posts: 6,055
    Forum Member
    Every question used to start with either 'who am I' or 'what am I'. I couldn't help but think that the English speakers had an advantage somehow!!
  • Options
    Tumble weedTumble weed Posts: 8,200
    Forum Member
    Indeed the show was extremely cringe-worthy but wasn't everything back then? :D

Anyway the intro to the show can be found on this web page --> http://www.tvwhirl.co.uk/quizshowindex.html *Scroll down to Going for Gold and click either the Real player or Windows Media link.

Every now and again the repeats of this show pop up on Challenge TV so you can relive it there.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,815
    Forum Member
    I remember it very vaguely now I just read the title, but couldn't remember what it was about!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I seem to remember watching a TV quiz show presenters edition of Krypton Factor, which Henry Kelly won. He was a very clever man! :eek:
  • Options
    Tumble weedTumble weed Posts: 8,200
    Forum Member
    pelicano wrote:
    I seem to remember watching a TV quiz show presenters edition of Krypton Factor, which Henry Kelly won. He was a very clever man! :eek:
    Slightly off topic but apparently The Krypton Factor is due to make a comeback soon but this time it'll be on the BBC.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pelicano wrote:

Aaaah the Krypton Factor! Now that is what I call a classic gameshow! I always wanted to do the Assault Course.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oh no, the assault course was the bit that used to make me shudder - I used to think I'd be the one who gets to go on the first gunshot, then half an hour later the next one would start! :D

I used to love the observation round with the identity line up!
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    haha, GfG was one of the greatest quiz shows ever!
    and tKF was as close to perfection as you can get!!!
  • Options
    FootlessMichaelFootlessMichael Posts: 1,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I preferred the 'pilot simulator' section. Loved it when the contestant ended up making a 'crash landing'

GfG theme tune was pure cheese
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember when it was on, someone wrote in to Viz Comic with an answer to Henry Kellys question "What Am I?" It began with "C" but I cannot elaborate any further.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,803
    Forum Member
    I thought it was class and always used to watch it when I skived....erm mean was to till to go to school.
  • Options
    Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone have the longer version of the Goinf for Gold theme tune thats posted on the ukgameshows website?.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course I remember..classic TV!
    http://spacemonkeys.freewebspace.com/audio.html
  • Options
    rachierachie Posts: 2,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tracyhay wrote:
    Of course I remember..classic TV!
    http://spacemonkeys.freewebspace.com/audio.html

Oh, that is brilliant!

The memories of skiving off school are just flooding back!!! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pelicano wrote:
    Every question used to start with either 'who am I' or 'what am I'. I couldn't help but think that the English speakers had an advantage somehow!!

as I child I was fascinated by the way he pronounced "what" (Hwat am I)

What a strange child I was

And all the contestants would wave, and sometimes Henry Kelly couldn't understand the contestants' answers cos of their accents and they had these HUGE buttons they pressed as buzzers, and the final round was nail biting as the timer ticked away and the advantage swapped sides....would they buzz in time?

:eek: :eek: :eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 157
    Forum Member
    Going for Gold was ok. I watched it when I could. I use to like that other BBC daytime quiz... Turnabout, hosted by Rob Curling. Now that was good. Reminds me of that game Othello.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oblido wrote:
    Going for Gold was ok. I watched it when I could. I use to like that other BBC daytime quiz... Turnabout, hosted by Rob Curling. Now that was good. Reminds me of that game Othello.

I remember turnabout too!!

And "think tank"

and "runway"

goodness....it all comes flooding back
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 106
    Forum Member
    Used to watch it, when I was off sick from school. :)
  • Options
    RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Legendary.

My only regret is that I wasn't old enough at the time to appreciate how awful it really was. Still, I've got the memories.

Was it for real though, or just a brilliant (and long-running) spoof?

Were all the Germans really called Gunther, even the women? Did a Danish contestant really buzz in as soon as Henry Kelly said "Who am I?..." and answer "Henry Kelly"? Did the Dutch contestants really speak far better English than the British contestants?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the odd repeat of this show does turn up on Challenge now and again.

Plus the original French version can be found on TV5 if you look for it on Sky.
  • Options
    pjb007pjb007 Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭