Options

Sick of people who only get famous because of who their parents are?

SparkleBabeSparkleBabe Posts: 17,065
Forum Member
✭✭
I am! What is with the celeb world lately? It seems to be infested by people who seem to have only gotten anywhere by having a famous parent. Why can they not go out and get their own careers? Would they have even got anywhere if they were not who they were?

Firstly there is Lilly and Alfie Allen. Then Jack and Kelly Osbourne, can you honestly say that Kelly would have gotten a part in Chicago without her parents help? Then the utterly vile Peaches Geldof, and Im still unsure of what exactly she does for a living. Now there is that Jaime Winstone, Ray's daughter. We are constantly being told how pretty she is (no she is not, she is plain and androgynous looking) and how talented she is.

You know I could not give a stuff. Let us also not forget Richard and Judy's plummy voiced kids too.

Comments

• Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't forget to add Nicole Richie and Kimberly Stewart to the list!
  • Options
    ~*~Jess~*~~*~Jess~*~ Posts: 4,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ugh I can't stand Alfie and Peaches the most out of the ones you've listed. And it annoys me to hell when I hear of Peaches getting in a huff if someone doesn't open the door for her/let her in a club/wipe her arse for her etc etc so because her father is Sir Bob she is automatically royalty?! YUK
    Don't mind Kelly and Jack too much.
  • Options
    edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You act as if this is something new. Do you honestly think David Dimbleby would be where he is if not by accident of birth? And the list of actors and actresses over the years (e.g. Mills, Fonda, Sutherland) who have received their big break due to parentage isn't even funny.
  • Options
    ~*~Jess~*~~*~Jess~*~ Posts: 4,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bianca Gascoigne to add to the list. Eww
  • Options
    RandyRandy Posts: 1,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am! What is with the celeb world lately? It seems to be infested by people who seem to have only gotten anywhere by having a famous parent. .

You mean, like Jesus!!!
  • Options
    MuggsyMuggsy Posts: 19,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As well as Peaches, there's also Pixie, and there seem to be an infinite supply of young Jaggers getting their mugs in my magazines - Georgia and Assisi have started appearing.

Coco Sumner is another one.:mad: The phrase "hard faced bitch" has just been lying around for years waiting for her to grow up and exemplify it!
  • Options
    Slow AlexSlow Alex Posts: 1,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lilly Allen = Keith's daughter, but it's hilarious that her brother is dating the daughter of Ray Winston. Bob Geldof's daughter annoy me. Peaches is crap enough, but they way her sister Pixie is trying to be an it girl and pull poses in front of camera is tedious. And as far as Im concerned Blythe Danner's daughter is how I will refer to Gweyneth Paltrow.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now there is that Jaime Winstone, Ray's daughter. We are constantly being told how pretty she is (no she is not, she is plain and androgynous looking) and how talented she is.

You know I could not give a stuff. Let us also not forget Richard and Judy's plummy voiced kids too.

Dont forget the "beautiful and talented" Daisy Lowe.

Then there are the Bianca Gascoines of this world :eek:

Personally I just see it as an extension of the "know you know not what you know" society. Politics, business and now showbiz has been taken over by the children of the wealthy and powerful. It is a shame as they take away from genuine talent eg unproven Lily getting a chat show
  • Options
    Daisy BennybootsDaisy Bennyboots Posts: 18,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Randy wrote: »
    You mean, like Jesus!!!

hahahahaha!!!!:D:D

Nepotism is fine...as long as you have talent. But many of these tabloid favourites don't have talent so noteworthy that they deserve their fame.
  • Options
    Rob22Rob22 Posts: 11,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jade Goody annoys me

an absolute nobody who appeared in that rubbish big brother programme

she thinks she something special, she has about as much talent as a dead goldfish.

annoying, over-weight, over-rated, and talent-less
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hahahahaha!!!!:D:D

Nepotism is fine...as long as you have talent. But many of these tabloid favourites don't have talent so noteworthy that they deserve their fame.

Disagree,
    it's mainly down to who your family are/ were. Even if the parents are in different areas of entertainment industry. Yes, Stella McCartney did not pursue a music career like father Paul, but there are several more talented designers, who didn't have an ex-Beatle at their graduate fashion show. That's why I love it when the kids are always asked about their parents and they constantly whinge about how everyone thinks they only got their due to who their dad/ mum, gran was/ are
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rob22 wrote: »
    Jade Goody annoys me

she thinks she something special, she has about as much talent as a dead goldfish.

I would agree, but there is a need for an annoying, over-weight, over-rated, and talent-less celeb, she fits the bill.
  • Options
    hugsiehugsie Posts: 17,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 33,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The British media and showbiz is saturated with nepotism - always has been.

Talent? many would not know how to spell that word let alone understand what it means.

Loads of British newspapers are full of nepotism journalists - husband, wives, children, grandchildren etc etc. Its even more funny when they pretend by using a different surname etc.
  • Options
    edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RacerWelsh wrote: »
    Loads of British newspapers are full of nepotism journalists - husband, wives, children, grandchildren etc etc. Its even more funny when they pretend by using a different surname etc.
    Yeah!! Daily Mirror Sports journalist Oliver Holt might appear to have his job by knowing his stuff, but secretly it's all down to being Emily Bishop's son!! :D
  • Options
    Daisy BennybootsDaisy Bennyboots Posts: 18,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Slow Alex wrote: »
    Disagree,
    it's mainly down to who your family are/ were. Even if the parents are in different areas of entertainment industry. Yes, Stella McCartney did not pursue a music career like father Paul, but there are several more talented designers, who didn't have an ex-Beatle at their graduate fashion show. That's why I love it when the kids are always asked about their parents and they constantly whinge about how everyone thinks they only got their due to who their dad/ mum, gran was/ are

I hear what you're saying and in most cases you're right. But Ian Wright didn't score a goal this week - his adopted son did. Director John Glenister's not the star of BB1 at the moment, his son is. I have no issue with a parent passing on skills or opening doors to a child whether it's in the entertainment industry or the cake making industry...AS LONG AS THEY ARE TALENTED in their own right.

And if Daddy nutured that talent? So what - life isn't fair:p

It's whe there is no talent to nuture yet they are still famous that aggivates me. Kelly Osbornes cover of Papa don't Preach was so much of an insult to the music industry that it undid her father's entire contribution in 3 minutes :D
  • Options
    hometown38hometown38 Posts: 364
    Forum Member
    ~*~Jess~*~ wrote: »
    Bianca Gascoigne to add to the list. Eww

Bamber's daughter ?
  • Options
    MuggsyMuggsy Posts: 19,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hometown38 wrote: »
    Bamber's daughter ?

If only.
  • Options
    SparkleBabeSparkleBabe Posts: 17,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I forgot to add Calum Best to the list.

Not to mention Milley Cyrus from Hannah Montanna, who is the daughter of legendary one hit wonder Billy 'Achey Breaky Heart' Cyrus :rolleyes:
  • Options
    The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rob22 wrote: »
    Jade Goody annoys me

An interesting point. But she is not the spawn of a celebrity - unless her ghastly Mother was famous in the 70's:confused: Ah, unless she is the daughter of Tim Brooke Taylor from The Goodies:eek:

Just think - we have a whole new generation of celeb spawns to take advantage of nepotistic laws/ become famous in their own right - Brooklyn Beckham, Molly and Lily Katona and of course Princess Tia Maria Heavenly Hirani Tiger Lily conceived with a huge sky remote todger Pwiccceeeee:D
  • Options
    ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    I forgot to add Calum Best to the list.

Not to mention Milley Cyrus from Hannah Montanna, who is the daughter of legendary one hit wonder Billy 'Achey Breaky Heart' Cyrus :rolleyes:

Who plays her dad in the series.

I have kids...ok? :o
  • Options
    Merry HappyMerry Happy Posts: 8,228
    Forum Member
    I can't wait for the time to come for Kerry Katonas kids to become "stars" like their mum, ahh OK! are probably marking the days down in a calendar as I type.

EDIT: Pru beat me to it. :p
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    But lots of famous parents have kids who go into the same business but don't shout about it.

Martin Shaw (Judge John Deed) has three grown up children who are all actors. As well as totally different roles, they also on occasion, act with their dad. Luke was in Judge John Deed, Joe (Bad Girls) was in Rhodes and Sophie played opposite her dad in his last theatre outing A Man for all Seasons.

I doubt however other than people who actually like Martin, anyone noticed.

Likewise ex Duran Duran guitarist, Andy Taylor, and current Duran Duran drummer, Roger Taylor, both have eldest sons who are in the same band who've been performing for a couple of years. Doubtful that most of the people who catch that band are aware of the family connection.

I think children often follow their parents into similar careers, my father worked for a local firm all his life except when he was in the army, and I have also worked for the same firm all my life. If your parents look like they enjoy what they're doing then ergo you are going to move in that direction.

Incidentally, as an aside, what is this dreadful word 'gotten'? It grates on my English O Level educated ears.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From your list, Peaches Geldof irritates me the most. Ugh, she comes across as such a pretentious little snot and seems so fake. Really, really cannot stand this woman at all.
  • Options
    tangsmantangsman Posts: 3,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Add Claudia Winkelman to the hate list.