Countdown - so much better these days!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 62
    Forum Member
    They haven't used the Concise for about 8 years now! The Oxford Dictionary of English is the official arbiter on the show.
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They haven't used the Concise for about 8 years now! The Oxford Dictionary of English is the official arbiter on the show.
    So it has. Is "outheard" in that? If so what does it mean?
  • Zippy289Zippy289 Posts: 1,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was well chuffed yesterday (Thursday), as I got a nine-letter word that even dictionary corner missed: rasterize!

Didn't get either of the nine-letter words today, though. Jeremiads?! Who'd ever have thought of that?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to say, after some doubts, I've got used to the new Countdown crew. Rachel seems to have raised her game lately on the numbers, and she's stopped saying 'EM-UH' and 'ESS-UH' when putting up the letters.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    i used to watch this drivel with Vorderman..I used to cheat doing the conundrum using this word game i got..I got it every time.:D
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, to outhear is listed as a verb and means to surpass in hearing. So surely that would mean outheard is allowable? It's listed in Collins, but perhaps not permissible in Susie's Oxford Dictionary.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 62
    Forum Member
    bobcar wrote: »
    So it has. Is "outheard" in that? If so what does it mean?

It's not in.
  • Daveoc64Daveoc64 Posts: 15,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MagiGirl wrote: »
    Ah, so you were correct that there is only ever one answer. Thanks. I hereby nominate you as the official DS Countdown guru. :)

I'm afraid it isn't correct.

The intention is that each conundrum only has one solution, but they have overlooked alternate answers in past shows and the official countdown rule book states that if this were to happen, they would accept any valid answer.

While it's now unlikely that the conundrum would have two or more solutions (presumably they check each one with an anagram solver), it's still a situation that has been considered and accounted for in the rules.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32
    Forum Member
    Had a week off work, has made me realise how good Vorderman and O'Connor were. The current presenters are cold and detached, Jeff always seems to take the p**s out of the contestants, and Rachel is so condesending, and twice she said the numbers game wasn't possible, and it was !!
    Don't think the show will last much longer.
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    phildcc wrote: »
    Had a week off work, has made me realise how good Vorderman and O'Connor were. The current presenters are cold and detached, Jeff always seems to take the p**s out of the contestants, and Rachel is so condesending, and twice she said the numbers game wasn't possible, and it was !!
    Don't think the show will last much longer.
    This just shows how much it's down to opinion, most people I know think Jeff is much better than Dreary. I also have to say that I've seen all the Countdowns since he took over (I've seen them all for many years now) and I can't ever remember him taking the piss out of the contestants or talking down to them in any way let alone in the last week.

The fact is you weren't watching it anyway means that your opinion has little influence when it comes to deciding the long term survival of the show. Personally I think the game is more important than the presenters and even when Dreary was presenting I never considered not watching - though I did squirm a lot when he was on and cheered when I learnt he was leaving. (Possibly if Brucie became the presenter that would be enough to make me stop watching though hopefully Jeff is in it for the long term).

I liked Carol but hated her introducing the guests in the cringe making way she did it, Jeff is just so much better at introductions. Rachel is doing very well and it doesn't matter if she doesn't get all the numbers games.
  • Daveoc64Daveoc64 Posts: 15,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Still don't like either of them.

I had the Carol/Des version on Series Link, but now I'd run out of sick bags if I did that.
  • 5 a day5 a day Posts: 12,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved it today where the champion had 'percent' and Susie was going to accept it, but then Jeff queried it and then Susie found out it was two separate words in the dictionary! Bit naughty really. He just won out in the end though.

Still don't see much personality development from Rachel...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ooh quite a nail biter today. No wonder Jeff needed a drink afterwards! :p He couldn't help himself and cost contestant points today, which resulted in a play off! Initially, Susie accepted percent, but then disallowed it, after Jeff queried if it was an abbreviation of percentage. I don't remember anyone challenging Susie before! :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ooh 5 a day, we just had a 7.30 moment! :p
  • 5 a day5 a day Posts: 12,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LindyLupin wrote: »
    Ooh 5 a day, we just had a 7.30 moment! :p

It's quite disturbing how often these things happen :D
  • CarmanCarman Posts: 1,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really close game for a change today, felt sorry for the challenger, I thought he had it in the bag.

I'm sure I remember Barry Cryer telling the same story when he was on before. A bit lazy isn't it, when he can't be bothered to think of something new.
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Spectacular today. Just spectacular.
  • Grand DizzyGrand Dizzy Posts: 7,369
    Forum Member
    Rachel isn’t wearing that wedding ring anymore! I only noticed it the one time — I think it was the day Steve Davis was on. Maybe she is married and normally takes the ring off for the show to appear more available, but forgot that day?
    Zippy289 wrote: »
    I was well chuffed yesterday (Thursday), as I got a nine-letter word that even dictionary corner missed: rasterize!
    Is “rasterize” allowed in British English? Personally, I would never use a z for that kind of word.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is “rasterize” allowed in British English? Personally, I would never use a z for that kind of word.

It's in the OED and you can spell it '-ise' or 'ize' (like most words of that type).
  • Old BlokeOld Bloke Posts: 1,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All these continuous jokes about Jeff being a midget, etc - how tall/short is he, anyway?

On another tack, I was surprised to see Richard Digence back today. I know he's a great friend of Carol Vorderman, and I had him down as someone who didn't want to come back after 'that' episode. Call of the dollar, perhaps?
  • Ken TunKen Tun Posts: 1,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Old Bloke wrote: »
    All these continuous jokes about Jeff being a midget, etc - how tall/short is he, anyway?

On another tack, I was surprised to see Richard Digence back today. I know he's a great friend of Carol Vorderman, and I had him down as someone who didn't want to come back after 'that' episode. Call of the dollar, perhaps?

Who else would have him?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rachel isn’t wearing that wedding ring anymore! I only noticed it the one time — I think it was the day Steve Davis was on. Maybe she is married and normally takes the ring off for the show to appear more available, but forgot that day?

According to

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1094532/Countdown-Rachel-Lamborghini-boyfriend-IQ-173.html

Rachel is not married and I am sure she has said so on the show at sometime
  • Old BlokeOld Bloke Posts: 1,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ken Tun wrote: »
    Who else would have him?

Legions! Take a look at http://www.richarddigance.com/ and check out the page of tour dates. I'm surprised he can find the time to record Countdown. He lists Countdown and QI as his favourite TV shows.
  • CarmanCarman Posts: 1,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't know why, but I always think "oh no" when Richard Digance is on.

What's happened to Geoffrey Durham (The Great Soprendo), I used to enjoy it when he was a guest.
  • methodyguymethodyguy Posts: 6,044
    Forum Member
    When do the semi finals start? I am looking forward too seeing Kirk again.;)

Regards

:)
This discussion has been closed.