Always ill :(

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,648
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I seem to have spent this year catching one thing after the other. Right now I've been feeling awful for the last couple of weeks with some kind of virus - dodgy tummy, headaches, achy joints, going hot and cold, wooziness and always tired....the usual flu symptoms. I seem to catch every bug and cold going and sore throat going and I've felt like I've been ill pretty much all year in some form or another.

Have tried talking to the doctor about it but my concerns have just been brushed off so far.

I'm starting to get pretty freaked out, though. I am overweight but generally healthy in how I eat/am active...being ill so much is really starting to distrupt my life and I just can't think why it's suddenly happened when I rarely used to get sick apart from the average of a couple of times a year.

Has anyone else gone through similar? Should I go to the doctor again and be more pushy?

Comments

• Abbasolutely 40Abbasolutely 40 Posts: 15,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yes, go back , if you are not happy go back and ask him to do a blood sugar and a blood test and start from there .
    Sometimes the immune system can be a little wonky and you get bad years ,But you need to eliminate a few things and make sure all is well .
  • fat controllerfat controller Posts: 13,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think everyone goes through stages like that from time to time - mine was a couple of years ago, when I had everything from colds, vomiting bugs, through to a couple of real screamers of chest infections.

All you can do is try and look after yourself, and give your body a chance to fight things off - plenty of water, decent diet (fruits and veg), and plenty of sleep.

Hope you feel better soon :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yes, go back , if you are not happy go back and ask him to do a blood sugar and a blood test and start from there .
    Sometimes the immune system can be a little wonky and you get bad years ,But you need to eliminate a few things and make sure all is well .

I was test for diabetes a couple of years ago but the results came back negative. I was always doubtful of them though. I think as well as getting regular blood tests, I'll get a second diabetes one as well.

Thanks for the reply. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    My son was ill for 3 months with various bugs. I requested a blood test and it showed he had a mysterious infection somewhere (never found out what it was) and anemia. A course of anti-biotics and iron medicine and he is now right as rain. Hope you feel better soon :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lily Rose wrote: »
    I was test for diabetes a couple of years ago but the results came back negative. I was always doubtful of them though. I think as well as getting regular blood tests, I'll get a second diabetes one as well.

A good idea just to be on the safe side .I hope yu get answers and feel better soon .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think everyone goes through stages like that from time to time - mine was a couple of years ago, when I had everything from colds, vomiting bugs, through to a couple of real screamers of chest infections.

All you can do is try and look after yourself, and give your body a chance to fight things off - plenty of water, decent diet (fruits and veg), and plenty of sleep.

Hope you feel better soon :)

Thanks, fat controller. My main concern is due to the heart op I had as a baby - though I was told I will live a perfectly normal life, and have, it does lurk at the back of my mind when stuff crops up.

I think what might have sparked my poor health this year though has been stress. I've had a LOT to deal with at home - family angst, being unemployed and dealing with the neverending chore of job hunting and being the Job Centre's puppet (going where they tell you when they tell you or your benefits get cut, etc), having to emotionally support my mother through a terrible breakup with her boyfriend where she was a wreck for months, having to deal with cowboy builders cocking up the new kitchen they fitted for us earlier in the year, worrying over the well-being of elderly relatives...sometimes I feel like what I really need is a couple of weeks getaway to the country or something but it's not doable.

So I do wonder how much is just stress and how much is genuine body stuff.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    harrymumi wrote: »
    My son was ill for 3 months with various bugs. I requested a blood test and it showed he had a mysterious infection somewhere (never found out what it was) and anemia. A course of anti-biotics and iron medicine and he is now right as rain. Hope you feel better soon :)

Hmm, I've never considered an infection.

Sounds like blood testing is definitely the way to go, if only to rule out stuff.

• fat controllerfat controller Posts: 13,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks, fat controller. My main concern is due to the heart op I had as a baby - though I was told I will live a perfectly normal life, and have, it does lurk at the back of my mind when stuff crops up.

I think what might have sparked my poor health this year though has been stress. I've had a LOT to deal with at home - family angst, being unemployed and dealing with the neverending chore of stuff ending, having to emotionally support my mother through a terrible breakup with her boyfriend, having to deal with cowboy builders cocking up the new kitchen they fitted for us earlier in the year...sometimes I feel like what I really need is a couple of weeks getaway to the country or something but it's not doable.

Stress will play a huge part, I have no doubt at all. Have you considered something like St Johns Wort and maybe mutli-vitamins? Although these will not cure the sources of your stress (and that is probably the most important thing for you to do), they might be just the ticket to help you through and back to fitness.

If it helps, feel free to PM me anytime if you feel the need to have a rant at someone totally impartial :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think what might have sparked my poor health this year though has been stress. I've had a LOT to deal with at home - family angst, being unemployed and dealing with the neverending chore of job hunting and being the Job Centre's puppet (going where they tell you when they tell you or your benefits get cut, etc), having to emotionally support my mother through a terrible breakup with her boyfriend where she was a wreck for months, having to deal with cowboy builders cocking up the new kitchen they fitted for us earlier in the year, worrying over the well-being of elderly relatives...sometimes I feel like what I really need is a couple of weeks getaway to the country or something but it's not doable.

Stress plays havoc on the body , so the illness can be very genuine but triggered by a poor immune system , triggered by the effect of stress .
    Start with bloods and go from there and hopefully all will be well .
  • ForestChavForestChav Posts: 35,127
    Forum Member
    Not to mention the fact if you're still getting over something you're weaker and you're more likely to catch something else anyway, which you might not have done if you weren't feeling dodgy to begin with.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poorly again. Is there anything going around at the mo - I ask as my aunt had a tummy bug recently and I have been off my food since yesterday and running a very high temperature. I went out to run my errands this morning and felt like death warmed up upon coming home. :(

I'm so fed up of constantly getting ill. It was lovely feeling healthy for a while after that awful throat/chest thing but now I've got something else. ARGH.

I'm getting my heart checked out at the hospital next week (just a routine check thing since I had an op as a baby) so hopefully I can get someone there to listen to my concerns.
  • Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ive had the same symptoms since sunday. Feeling a little better now and will hopefully be fit for work tomorrow.

Have you done anything to reduce your stress levels? It will play an enormous part in how you feel generally, but it could be just one of those years. I hadn't had as much as a cold for a few years up until this year but I've certainly made up for it in 2010.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ive had the same symptoms since sunday. Feeling a little better now and will hopefully be fit for work tomorrow.

Have you done anything to reduce your stress levels? It will play an enormous part in how you feel generally, but it could be just one of those years. I hadn't had as much as a cold for a few years up until this year but I've certainly made up for it in 2010.

I think just getting a job would reduce most of my stress. I've been on JSA since June and it wasn't long after that I started getting all these health problems, so I'm sure it's a related thing in some aspects.

I'm hoping this will just be a brief thing. Feeling much better since taking pills so hopefully I can just plod on as long as I dose myself up. Just bloody annoyed at catching one thing after another...I never used to.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went through a period of illness, seemed to pick up everything going, although nothing serious i might add.

Hopefully Lily, your check up will be fine. Sounds like it is stress related. Many people have a physical reaction to stress. When you find a job i'm sure this will help, as it will take your mind off it. When you are at home, regular illnesses get you down more as there is less need to fight it off quickly.

I took echinacea tablets for a while. It's just a herbel remedy for boosting the immune system. I'm not a big believer in herbal medicines, but it seemed to work for me. Try it for a couple months, it might make a difference.