• andy.saundersandy.saunders Posts: 856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jon is aware of the thread and asked me to post for him
  • Hot HitsHot Hits Posts: 596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andy.
    Please tell Jon when I was in Tenerife how much I enjoyed the station. Good music.. Well presented. Could do with that in the UK.. Wide variety of music
  • Peace100Peace100 Posts: 3,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see that Horizon FM Tenerife has gone live today rather than just tests, sounds very good listening on line.
  • riceutenriceuten Posts: 5,876
    Forum Member
    Actually RNE3 - the Spanish national adult/contemporary station is also very good and quite varied - I don't suppose it gets many English listeners, though, which is a pity.
  • Nick_GNick_G Posts: 5,137
    Forum Member
    riceuten wrote: »
    Actually RNE3 - the Spanish national adult/contemporary station is also very good and quite varied - I don't suppose it gets many English listeners, though, which is a pity.

RNE 3 is IMHO probably one of the best stations out there for covering such a wide and eclectic music spectrum. It makes the likes of 6 Music seem quite narrow-minded in comparison. Spain is very lucky to have such an exemplary illustration of public service broadcasting.
  • riceutenriceuten Posts: 5,876
    Forum Member
    Nick_G wrote: »
    RNE 3 is IMHO probably one of the best stations out there for covering such a wide and eclectic music spectrum. It makes the likes of 6 Music seem quite narrow-minded in comparison. Spain is very lucky to have such an exemplary illustration of public service broadcasting.

I regularly seek it out when I'm in Spain - it was in the DAB multiplex in Madrid when I was last there as well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Coast FM sounds like it is just drifting along these days, its lost the "big" sound appeal, fairly poor presentation with the odd exception, out of date imaging (ie wrong frequencies continually promoted, very out of date website) and poor sound quality online...makes me wonder when the long awaited changes will take place. Drivetime is shockingly poor these days, irritating numerous naff links, a real shame as it was a great station.
    Horizon sounds very hot and is bedding in nicely..Atlantis is quite a good listen too, seems to be a few names from the original "Coast FM" appearing between Atlantis and Horizon. Good luck to them. It just shows how easy it is to break something by not keeping a complete eye on things rather than working damn hard on keeping the station fresh and alive.
  • underground_88underground_88 Posts: 184
    Forum Member
    Peace100 wrote: »
    Coast FM sounds like it is just drifting along these days, its lost the "big" sound appeal, fairly poor presentation with the odd exception, out of date imaging (ie wrong frequencies continually promoted, very out of date website) and poor sound quality online...makes me wonder when the long awaited changes will take place. Drivetime is shockingly poor these days, irritating numerous naff links, a real shame as it was a great station.
    Horizon sounds very hot and is bedding in nicely..Atlantis is quite a good listen too, seems to be a few names from the original "Coast FM" appearing between Atlantis and Horizon. Good luck to them. It just shows how easy it is to break something by not keeping a complete eye on things rather than working damn hard on keeping the station fresh and alive.

Coast FM and Energy FM were sold around 6 months ago so the current output has no reflection on the original team who are now behind Horizon
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Coast FM and Energy FM were sold around 6 months ago so the current output has no reflection on the original team who are now behind Horizon

Exactly...whoever is managing Coast these days should be got rid of immediately..totally ruined. A guy called Pip in the afternoon is so awful it is unbelievable, its a bit how Power fm went after it was sold..some people just don't have a clue at all.
  • Radio SpyRadio Spy Posts: 254
    Forum Member
    Exactly...whoever is managing Coast these days should be got rid of immediately..totally ruined. A guy called Pip in the afternoon is so awful it is unbelievable, its a bit how Power fm went after it was sold..some people just don't have a clue at all.

It would seem that whoever is managing Coast FM is also managing Horizon as the internet registries report that both domains are held by the same people.

This sounds like a game of charades - quite why I do not know?

Who gives a stuff about Tenerife's radio stations?
    Forum Member
    Radio Spy wrote: »
    It would seem that whoever is managing Coast FM is also managing Horizon as the internet registries report that both domains are held by the same people.

WRONG - as already explained, Coast was sold around 6 months ago but the domain registry has obviously yet to be updated.

As I own Horizon I can assure you I am not managing Coast.......

Does it?

Presumably the person that started and those taking the time to contribute to the thread.
    Forum Member

WRONG - as already explained, Coast was sold around 6 months ago but the domain registry has obviously yet to be updated.

As I own Horizon I can assure you I am not managing Coast.......

Does it?

Presumably the person that started and those taking the time to contribute to the thread.

So, you sold Coast FM and immediately set-up a competitive station in exactly the same market?

True or false?
    Forum Member

So, you sold Coast FM and immediately set-up a competitive station in exactly the same market?

True or false?

As you have made it clear you are in no way interested in Tenerife radio this would interest you because?

Now as I'm not on trial with you the judge I would appreciate a slightly less demanding tone to your question.

For your information, Horizon is a CHR format targeting the younger tourist and resident market while Coast is an AC format targeting the older English residents.

As to the best of my knowledge, you are not up to speed with the terms of the sale it would seem odd that you wish to pass judgment on my business practice but then this wouldn't be DS if everybody wasn't an expert on everybody else's business would it.

If you check with companies house in the UK you will see that the original holding company was dissolved around 6 months ago and a new company with new directors formed.
    Forum Member

As you have made it clear you are in no way interested in Tenerife radio this would interest you because?

Now as I'm not on trial with you the judge I would appreciate a slightly less demanding tone to your question.

For your information, Horizon is a CHR format targeting the younger tourist and resident market while Coast is an AC format targeting the older English residents.

As to the best of my knowledge, you are not up to speed with the terms of the sale it would seem odd that you wish to pass judgment on my business practice but then this wouldn't be DS if everybody wasn't an expert on everybody else's business would it.

If you check with companies house in the UK you will see that the original holding company was dissolved around 6 months ago and a new company with new directors formed.

Not passing judgement on you, your radio station or CoastFM.

I'm asking some questions because it all seems a little fishy.

I am now interested in Tenerife's radio stations because my curiosity has peaked.

If there is an equivalent to "burger wars" going on over there, I'd like to watch it unfold - beats Eastenders any day.

As you quite rightly state, I am in no way party to the terms of your agreement. All I've seen on this thread so far is some over the top praise for your station and a number of people running Coast FM into the ground. People who, if you research their posts here, were singing the praises of Coast FM a little while back.

Now, calm yourself down man and don't be so defensive or you'll make everyone else as curious as I am! Shooosh!!! ;)
  • mmmmmmagicmmmmmmagic Posts: 126
    Forum Member
    As someone who spends a good 3-4 months per year on the rock, I have always enjoyed listening to Coast FM over the last few years. The presentation has been of a very high standard and whilst Coast's music was at times a little older than I'd like, I appreciated the fact that it was intercepted with good presenters which made me forgive some of the songs I wasn't so keen on. Phil in the mornings, the brilliant Andy then Danno and Dave Sherwood made for a good line up and I found myself listening when I returned home, not least for the local Canarian news service they provided.

However these last 6-8 months have seen the station, for me, lose direction. Long silences between songs/adverts, the outro from the news not spoken over and left to play, new presenters nowhere near the standard of old (although I've met Pip Brown on a number of occasions and he's a great chap, his show isn't of the standard you would expect), the output is crackly and the clocks are at times a mess.

Horizon FM has been a welcome station in Tenerife. We have Oasis FM which quite frankly was good but now just stumbles a little but Horizon really does fit well.

The local news would be a real bonus and with some more polishing there is a very good quality product and a CHR station which I enjoy. Both here and in Reefy.
    Forum Member
    mmmmmmagic wrote: »
    As someone who spends a good 3-4 months per year on the rock, I have always enjoyed listening to Coast FM over the last few years. The presentation has been of a very high standard and whilst Coast's music was at times a little older than I'd like, I appreciated the fact that it was intercepted with good presenters which made me forgive some of the songs I wasn't so keen on. Phil in the mornings, the brilliant Andy then Danno and Dave Sherwood made for a good line up and I found myself listening when I returned home, not least for the local Canarian news service they provided.

However these last 6-8 months have seen the station, for me, lose direction. Long silences between songs/adverts, the outro from the news not spoken over and left to play, new presenters nowhere near the standard of old (although I've met Pip Brown on a number of occasions and he's a great chap, his show isn't of the standard you would expect), the output is crackly and the clocks are at times a mess.

Horizon FM has been a welcome station in Tenerife. We have Oasis FM which quite frankly was good but now just stumbles a little but Horizon really does fit well.

The local news would be a real bonus and with some more polishing there is a very good quality product and a CHR station which I enjoy. Both here and in Reefy.

Well, if the people who were running Coast are now running Atlantis I suppose you would expect them to be good.

Being honest, if I bought Coast and then the guy I bought it from set himself up in competition right away, I would feel slightly ripped off.

Not casting aspersions on anyone, just looking at the situation and giving a view.
    Forum Member
    Well, if the people who were running Coast are now running Atlantis I suppose you would expect them to be good.

Being honest, if I bought Coast and then the guy I bought it from set himself up in competition right away, I would feel slightly ripped off.

Not casting aspersions on anyone, just looking at the situation and giving a view.

Just to clarify, while the owner of Atlantis is a very good friend of mine, Atlantis's ownership has not changed as is being run under the same ownership it always has. Horizon and Atlantis work closely together and share resources both technical, sales and on-air but are however separate businesses owned independently.

As for you comments re if you had purchased Coast, Tenerife and the Spanish radio market is very different to most other countries in Europe. Anybody purchasing a station here would be aware of the potential for new stations to spring up overnight.
    Forum Member
    Just to clarify, while the owner of Atlantis is a very good friend of mine, Atlantis's ownership has not changed as is being run under the same ownership it always has. Horizon and Atlantis work closely together and share resources both technical, sales and on-air but are however separate businesses owned independently.

As for you comments re if you had purchased Coast, Tenerife and the Spanish radio market is very different to most other countries in Europe. Anybody purchasing a station here would be aware of the potential for new stations to spring up overnight.

Thank you, yes I was getting confused between Atlantis / Horizon!

As for the Spanish market being very different - quite understand that. Still doesn't make what appears to have transpired a very "decent" thing to do.

I really would feel ripped off. Wouldn't you?
    Forum Member
    Thank you, yes I was getting confused between Atlantis / Horizon!

As for the Spanish market being very different - quite understand that. Still doesn't make what appears to have transpired a very "decent" thing to do.

I really would feel ripped off. Wouldn't you?

On the surface, fair point however I think if you were armed with all the details you would maybe think differently but that's certainly not for a public forum. It is however I think fair to say all parties are, to the best of my knowledge, happy!
    Forum Member
    On the surface, fair point however I think if you were armed with all the details you would maybe think differently but that's certainly not for a public forum. It is however I think fair to say all parties are, to the best of my knowledge, happy!

So no burger wars?

Man :(
    Forum Member
    So no burger wars?

Man :(

Never say never :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blimey, Peace Love...and Chill..at the end of the day don't get stressed..it's radio, not as you know it...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More than a month on an Coast is becoming unlistenable, generally awful presentation, music etc. Just how long can the new owners keep running this station into the ground. They keep promoting a new bigger station is coming on air in the autumn, lets face it Coast has been sunk already, going to be one hell of a job to re launch it. They were apparently advertising for new presenters so we have to wait......such a shame though. Why do people always believe they can do better?...
    Forum Member
    More than a month on an Coast is becoming unlistenable, generally awful presentation, music etc. Just how long can the new owners keep running this station into the ground. They keep promoting a new bigger station is coming on air in the autumn, lets face it Coast has been sunk already, going to be one hell of a job to re launch it. They were apparently advertising for new presenters so we have to wait......such a shame though. Why do people always believe they can do better?...

I've not listened but people thinking they can do better should be applauded - it's called tenacity / get up and go!

If they fail, they fail.

If they succeed good on em.
  • mmmmmmagicmmmmmmagic Posts: 126
    Forum Member
    There appears to be a rumour suggesting two new stations in Tenerife ... Virgin Coast FM (a relaunched and rebadged Coast FM) and Virgin Hits which will be a Spanish station, although how true this is, I don't know.

Interestingly, the old Coast FM website now links to Horizon FM and Coast FM have a new website with a URL of http://www.coasttenerife.com

By contrast, Horizon FM appears to be settling in and sounding very well with many of the locals tuning in now over the channel hopping Coast FM.