Options

Three has drastically reduced coverage in France

Phat KevPhat Kev Posts: 7
Forum Member
Since the new year Three has changed it's French network provider from Bouygues Telecom to 'Free'. Coverage in France is now only available around large towns leaving rural areas (most of the country) without coverage. When I called to complain I was told that Free will improve when it has finished building more masts. (several months) This is totally unacceptable and I would urge Three customers to complain if they have similar problems in France

Comments

• Options
    GigabitGigabit Posts: 8,768
    Forum Member
    "Building more masts" - because Three UK know all about a French network providers' network plans?
  • Options
    exterraexterra Posts: 159
    Forum Member
    free's coverage map for france:

http://www.sensorly.com/map/2G-3G/FR/France/Free/gsm_20814#|coverage
  • Options
    binarybinary Posts: 699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    exterra wrote: »
    free's coverage map for france:

http://www.sensorly.com/map/2G-3G/FR/France/Free/gsm_20814#|coverage

I was just looking at a particular small town in rural part of France and I was about to say how bad the Free coverage looks (just along the main roads), but then I looked at the other networks and they all look equally as bad - and of course then I realised I was looking at a crowd sourced coverage map, in an area where people seemingly have better things to do than spend their time running network tests (though maybe saying such a thing on this forum comes close to cellular blasphemy!).

Meanwhile, here is Free's official coverage map (as found on their website):
    http://mobile.free.fr/couverture/

(...and unsurprisingly the coverage of that same small town looks rather better!)
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does Free still rely on Orange in places where it has no coverage?

If Three customers can't access Orange then there may be large gaps in coverage.
  • Options
    Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be honest international roaming is offered 'as is'. I wonder if you can add the addon for EU roaming and get access to the other networks that you don't get under the feel at home default. If not it may be best to change networks if roaming in France is a key issue, they all offer different things and if Three only allow 1 roaming partner because of 'like home' they aren't going to change that.
  • Options
    IcaraaIcaraa Posts: 6,068
    Forum Member
    When I briefly passed through Paris CDG airport last month my phone roamed onto Bouygues and showed 3G but I had no throughput. At my final destination (the US) all worked well though.
  • Options
    rasseru16rasseru16 Posts: 752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Phat Kev wrote: »
    Since the new year Three has changed it's French network provider from Bouygues Telecom to 'Free'. Coverage in France is now only available around large towns leaving rural areas (most of the country) without coverage. When I called to complain I was told that Free will improve when it has finished building more masts. (several months) This is totally unacceptable and I would urge Three customers to complain if they have similar problems in France

If you look at 3's roaming agreements in France you can also roam onto Orange Fr, this is probably the best network in France :confused:
  • Options
    Phat KevPhat Kev Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    rasseru16 wrote: »
    If you look at 3's roaming agreements in France you can also roam onto Orange Fr, this is probably the best network in France :confused:

Don't think so - it's Free or nothing and nothing isn't much worse than Free
  • Options
    squawkBOXsquawkBOX Posts: 930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are you sure?

If you are in France at the moment, can you reboot and try to manually select Orange France?

Three have changed from Bouygues to Orange France (Dec 2014). Free has always been a 2nd roaming partner since Feel At Home started in France.
  • Options
    Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    Gigabit wrote: »
    "Building more masts" - because Three UK know all about a French network providers' network plans?

I'm convinced that Three know exactly the same about French masts as they do those in the UK as whatever the question, the answer is always the same: "errrr ummm yeah, it's coming soon, sometime, maybe, never.".

Ask them about 4G roll out and that's always the answer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    squawkBOX wrote: »
    Are you sure?

If you are in France at the moment, can you reboot and try to manually select Orange France?

Three have changed from Bouygues to Orange France (Dec 2014). Free has always been a 2nd roaming partner since Feel At Home started in France.

Strange as I live in Folkestone and if I go up to the top of town over-looking the channel, I can pick up an Orange 4G signal from France, but it won't let me connect with it.

Do I have to switch roaming on or something?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    Who wants to go to France anyway? There are much friendlier places in Europe.
  • Options
    call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    GeorgeMC wrote: »

You don't know much about the place obviously....^_^
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    squawkBOX wrote: »
    Are you sure?

Agreed, a manual network selection should let you select Orange Fr.
  • Options
    Kal ElKal El Posts: 246
    Forum Member
    Three's website states Free and Orange
  • Options
    BatchBatch Posts: 3,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    binary wrote: »
    Meanwhile, here is Free's official coverage map (as found on their website):
    http://mobile.free.fr/couverture/

I don't trust it. Look how the predicted coverage stops exactly at the borders

;)
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Strange as I live in Folkestone and if I go up to the top of town over-looking the channel, I can pick up an Orange 4G signal from France, but it won't let me connect with it.

It works both ways. Perhaps the higher power cell site in France can get to you, but perhaps the small power output of your phone isn't enough to cross the channel, so the French network can't actually "hear" your phone.
  • Options
    jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member

Three don't have 4G roaming.
  • Options
    oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GeorgeMC wrote: »

I'll bet you are a "If I speak loud enough in english, they will understand me" person!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jabbamk1 wrote: »
    Three don't have 4G roaming.

That could be the problem then! :D

Today I did another network search over-looking the channel and picked up another French 4G service so now two French 4G services I can find but not one on any network in my own town.

Je Suis Pissed Off!
  • Options
    GigabitGigabit Posts: 8,768
    Forum Member
    Three don't have 4G roaming because 4G would work better in other countries than on the home network.
  • Options
    Deleted_User381237831Deleted_User381237831 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member
    moox wrote: »
    It works both ways. Perhaps the higher power cell site in France can get to you, but perhaps the small power output of your phone isn't enough to cross the channel, so the French network can't actually "hear" your phone.

Yes, in the same way that just outside Plymouth there is a beach which I can pick up Orange France 3G, SFR 3G, Bouygues 3G, Sure and Vodafone Jersey but I cannot log onto any of them as my phone isn't as powerful in the other direction.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ...but you just know that I'm going to try it though! :D
  • Options
    japauljapaul Posts: 1,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does Free still rely on Orange in places where it has no coverage?

If Three customers can't access Orange then there may be large gaps in coverage.

Yes, Free use Orange for a lot of 3G coverage (and all of their 2G). I think the Free coverage map includes the Orange roaming that their own customers can use.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    japaul wrote: »
    Yes, Free use Orange for a lot of 3G coverage (and all of their 2G). I think the Free coverage map includes the Orange roaming that their own customers can use.

For a location map of all French mobile phone masts this can be found here which is always up-to-date:

http://www.antennesmobiles.fr/

In the field box "Géolocalisation" you type the name of the French village e.g. 'Calais'