Anyone else having trouble with pets and christmas decorations.

PictoPicto Posts: 24,270
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Put the decorations up the other day and one of the dogs is none too pleased (mostly).

We have a big stuffed reindeer that he harrasses, in a sexy way and he doesn't like the decorations that are on sensors. If he walks past one and it goes off he'll try to rip it to shreds.

I suppose it's all part of the fun of christmas though.

Do your pets not get on with christmas decorations?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,044
    Forum Member
    Not the decorations but their presents. I've two, one of them is pretty smart and boy, does he know he's got new toys. I've not had a chance to wrap them yet so they're in the carrier bag in the bedroom. Every chance he gets he's in there rummaging and when the door's shut, he's pawing/scratching at the door and catawauling! He's even walking up to me and pawing me. When I ask him what's up, he squints his eyes and gives a little kitten mew...talk about smart kids!/kit-cats! :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wilfred won't leave the christmas tree alone. I woke up this morning to a big pile of tinsel and lights on the floor. I think it's time to visit the hardware shop and buy a mini water pistol! :D
  • wildpumpkinwildpumpkin Posts: 1,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ponglie wrote: »
    Wilfred won't leave the christmas tree alone. I woke up this morning to a big pile of tinsel and lights on the floor. I think it's time to visit the hardware shop and buy a mini water pistol! :D

Cracking name :D...what is Wilfred?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cracking name :D...what is Wilfred?

Sorry, Wilfred is the youngest of my 14 and a half cats :D

Cookie
    Murphy
    Lord Odlam
    Princess Bodicaea
    Snitchy Poos
    Tilt
    Stanley
    The Frank
    Wilfred
    Angle AKA Keith :o
    Doochie
    Brin
    Bill
    Ponglish
    And the half is 'Mr Black and White' a stray tom that has moved himself into my garden :p
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got the tree on a table, so no way they can get to it and our other decorations are draped over the cuckoo clock, mantelpiece and welsh dresser so again well out of reach. We don't have anything on sensors or flashing it's all traditional stuff which they seem used to coming out each year now.
  • RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dread putting my tree up - Amber loves a Christmas tree :D

She managed to dig a bauble out of my decoration bag (in my walk in closet!!) and kicked it around for an hour - at 4am this morning. She was fast asleep on said bauble when I got up at 7!!
  • xdowxdow Posts: 2,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    youngest collie ran off with a plastic santa & chewed his hand off, he's never bothered with the tree though, other than walking behind it & knocking a load of needles off it when he was a pup

this yeah, the budgie is none too sure of the tree, which is a good thing as the needles on this one are EVIL! dressing it yesterday was just excruciatingly painful
  • RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Cookie
    Murphy
    Lord Odlam
    Princess Bodicaea
    Snitchy Poos
    Tilt
    Stanley
    The Frank
    Wilfred
    Doochie
    Brin
    Bill
    Ponglish
    And the half is 'Mr Black and White' a stray tom that has moved himself into my garden :p

You have 14 (make that 15 :eek:) cats!

Seriously, I can barely cope with one. How do you do it?? I know there is another poster with 14 cats - I ask her the same thing!!!

And dare I ask if people with lots of cats have families / partners? Or just the cats :eek: :o

Loving your work with the names btw!!
  • wildpumpkinwildpumpkin Posts: 1,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Cookie
    Murphy
    Lord Odlam
    Princess Bodicaea
    Snitchy Poos
    Tilt
    Stanley
    The Frank
    Wilfred
    Doochie
    Brin
    Bill
    Ponglish

What an array of names :D You seem to have your hands full :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 482
    Forum Member
    You have 14 (make that 15 :eek:) cats!

Seriously, I can barely cope with one. How do you do it?? I know there is another poster with 14 cats - I ask her the same thing!!!

And dare I ask if people with lots of cats have families / partners? Or just the cats :eek: :o

Loving your work with the names btw!!

I have five and two halves. (Two stray furbabies who seem to have adopted me and mine) Used to be six and two halves, but I lost my beloved Minnie to cancer in January.

I have a 22 yr old son who lives with me, and I have a wonderful partner too - who oddly enough, has a deep seated fear of cats. :o

I have a small two bed flat - ground floor, with both front and back gardens, and the furkids have a catflap in the kitchen door.

Apart from having perfected a specific type of moonwalk to step over various reclining furry bodies and their numerous toys, we all get along fine. :)

You don't have to be mad to live here ... wibble
  • elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    last year my cat was taking the decorations off the tree and using them as toys. She especially liked the little parcels that I had on it so much so that we gave up taking them off her and kept a few out for her to play with when the tree was taken down we have found them all over the place. She also loves sitting under the tree and messing with the baubles.
  • CaminoCamino Posts: 13,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    my house rabbit Milo just likes sleeping under it but is quite partial to picking a few needles of the tree, is that bad?
  • Waves321Waves321 Posts: 360
    Forum Member
    I got a big tree this year and my two kittens are forever running under it. My tabby keeps climbing it !
  • Waves321Waves321 Posts: 360
    Forum Member
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I spoke too soon ;)

Fairy fell off the top of the tree, now bare in mind she is disabled already from a nasty cat accident about 20 years ago when she tragically lost her legs. So when she fell on the floor and Duncan got her she didn't really stand a chance - now she is armless too :eek::o

So we officially have a paraplegic fairy who I can't throw away as she has been with us so long it would be like chucking out a member of the family !
  • dollylovesshoesdollylovesshoes Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is such a PMSL thread cos you know what pusscats are like with christmas trees.....they just cannot resist em...:D:D

Me neighbour upstairs was getting the tree out and her little Eponine spotted it....even before the tree was up she was into the box etc........I know whats going to happen next week.......:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am the one with the 15 cats. Mine have tried to bat the cards of the fire place, and tried to pull down the happy xmas sign. I am putting more trimmings up on the 18th as this would have been my daughters 15th birthday. I am also putting up a tree as well. Some have seen one but the 3 babys havent and they are fare worse than the other lot. Its going to be fun. I bet every morning there will be something on the floor. Where given it about 5 mins before one of them decides to knock it over.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    I've stopped buying a real tree at Christmas, my dog seemed to think he was outdoors and started cocking his leg on it, kind of dampened the Christmas spirit!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rolo thinks that the Christmas tree is his adventure cat tree. He sneaks under it, then up the centre, until he is nearly at the top, all that in stealth mode. First thing you know that he is up the tree is when his head pops out from the fairy's skirt.
    Baubles from the bottom of the tree have been used to chase around the room, like a pug in an ice-hockey game.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 196
    Forum Member
    I attempted to put the tree up yesterday (its our first christmas with cats!) and within 5 minutes it was on the floor!!!! Sookie kept chomping on the branches too. Dread to think what state my front room will be like when I get home later!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,095
    Forum Member
    elke21 wrote: »
    Rolo thinks that the Christmas tree is his adventure cat tree. He sneaks under it, then up the centre, until he is nearly at the top, all that in stealth mode. First thing you know that he is up the tree is when his head pops out from the fairy's skirt.
    Baubles from the bottom of the tree have been used to chase around the room, like a pug in an ice-hockey game.

Poor doggy! :eek: :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,160
    Forum Member
    I have 2 dogs both of which are having a fine time knocking the baubles off my little jack russell runs under the tree knocking the bottom ones off and my greyhound loves whiping them with her tail, I'm sure I didnt have this much trouble when I had my cat :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My two BSH cats (Wolfie and Peanut) are driving me bananans, they are ruining the tree, trying to jump into it and pulling off the tinsel, smashing baubles. My god, I am going to turn them into decorations at this rate!!:mad::p