Options

FA Cup 4th Round TV picks

Comments

• Options
    Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    Have I missed something - not a single one of tonight's replays appears to be available on live TV anywhere.

Well, that's because both ITV and ESPN have decided to show replays that can only be played tomorrow. It happens. Had QPR not gone to a replay, not a single one of Saturday's Premier League games would have been on live TV anywhere.
  • Options
    singhss1singhss1 Posts: 2,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ariusuk wrote: »
    I would imagine the average Fox Soccer Plus viewer is just as likely to be a Bournemouth fan as a Wigan fan.

Will ITV still show extended highlights of it then?
  • Options
    JudioJudio Posts: 11,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ITV Highlights are not until after Man U match

So they can show highlights from the Man U match !!!

Tomorrow on ITV from 10:50pm to 12:05am
  • Options
    stevvy1986stevvy1986 Posts: 7,088
    Forum Member
    Actually it's probably called common sense, especially as there's other games taking place that night.
  • Options
    Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stevvy1986 wrote: »
    Actually it's probably called common sense, especially as there's other games taking place that night.
    Indeed, it's no different to the BBC showing The League Cup Show on the Wednesday night instead of two programmes.
  • Options
    jwar1976jwar1976 Posts: 424
    Forum Member
    ftv wrote: »
    Have I missed something - not a single one of tonight's replays appears to be available on live TV anywhere.
    Well, that's because both ITV and ESPN have decided to show replays that can only be played tomorrow. It happens. Had QPR not gone to a replay, not a single one of Saturday's Premier League games would have been on live TV anywhere.

Thankfully the QPR game is on various streaming sites & 1 of my computers is already wired up to my TV. So will get my footie fix tonight. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jwar1976 wrote: »
    Thankfully the QPR game is on various streaming sites & 1 of my computers is already wired up to my TV. So will get my footie fix tonight. :D

Idman TV if you got access to it, an Azerbaijan channel.
  • Options
    AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV and ESPN seem to have made the right choices, been flicking through a few around the web and some absolutely awful games so far in some even emptier stadiums!

The Magic of the Cup!
  • Options
    Zac QuinnZac Quinn Posts: 5,172
    Forum Member
    Brentford will play Chelsea and Stoke will play Manchester City in two of the live fourth round games. Still waiting on the other two dependent on replays, won't know them fully until tomorrow (although Blackpool vs. Fulham will be decided tonight).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So, after tonights games some of the 4th round ties have been confirmed. The confirmed tonight ties are:

Leeds v Spurs (obvious TV pick whoever won tonight)

Macclesfield v Wigan (probably wouldn't have been a bad TV pick apart from them both being small teams in terms of ratings)

Brentford v Chelsea (obvious TV pick whoever won tonight)

QPR v MK Dons (meh)

Bolton v Everton (meh, could've been an ok TV tie I guess)

Hull v Barnsley (meh)

Stoke v Man City (reasonably obvious TV pick, as it should be decent, but obviously could've been top end Championship v top end PL)

Man Utd/West Ham v Fulham (sorry, but shouldn't have been chosen regardless of if Man Utd win tomorrow or not)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Man United vs. Fulham now confirmed at the Saturday 5:15 game. Yip-actual-pee.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    *snoretumbleweedsnore* Sounds about as exciting as a game between Luton and Tamworth. Shocking choice. Should've been Brighton v Swansea/Arsenal (Arsenal as it turns out).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    stevvy1986 wrote: »
    Sounds about as exciting as a game between Luton and Tamworth.
    Less. At least that would be a fixture not already on TV twice a year!! ITV and ESPN only get a hardcore audience of 3-4 million people watching their matches anyway, and they're the people who'd watch anything. so why would not picking Man United make any difference?!
  • Options
    wolvesdavidwolvesdavid Posts: 10,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I still think an all Premier League tie involving Manchester United IS an interesting tie.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It would be if it was say Man Utd v Liverpool, but Man Utd v Fulham sounds bleh. It's not a tie that's going to make people think "that sounds like an interesting/exciting tie, I'll make sure I watch it". For the FA Cup 4th round, with at least 1 (and possibly more) ties that are better for TV/the whole point of the cup, it's a shocking choice.

Macclesfield v Wigan and Brighton v Arsenal appeal to me alot more with it being the cup. Even Brighton v Swansea would interest me more, and for that matter so would Bolton v Everton, because it's the cup, it's about the lower league team being at home to a higher league team, not a big PL team at home to a middling PL team.
  • Options
    bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I sometimes think for ITV they feel they need to show the BIG northern clubs the the London ones.
    So Round 3 - Man Utd (and replay) and Newcastle
    Round 4 - Man City and Liverpool
    Round 5 last 16, eight games...depending who is in Spurs, Arsenal and Chelsea should be on at least one pick.

Same with Champions League, the North West clubs seem to be on ITV more than the London ones.

Same each year. ITV Home of Northern Football.

It was actually funny hearing ITV commentators at last years Champions League Final. They wee drooling over Bayern...Chelsea winning was, I felt an annoyance to them.
  • Options
    SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    Is not the reason for always showing Man U the fact that the broadcaster is guaranteed an audience, split either side by the Man U fans across the country who love to see their team on TV and the rest of the country who tunes in hoping to see Man U fall on their ar$e by being dumped out of the cup by a smaller team? All teams are smaller than Man U, once you get past the obvious.
  • Options
    IC89IC89 Posts: 1,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SnrDev wrote: »
    Is not the reason for always showing Man U the fact that the broadcaster is guaranteed an audience, split either side by the Man U fans across the country who love to see their team on TV and the rest of the country who tunes in hoping to see Man U fall on their ar$e by being dumped out of the cup by a smaller team? All teams are smaller than Man U, once you get past the obvious.

The problem is, are people going to tune in to watch Man Utd-Fulham. The average football fan who doesn't like United must have the intelligence to know it'll be a 1-0 or 2-0 breeze for them, with little in the way of competitiveness or excitement. No-one will watch solely because they might lose, because they won't.

I guess for ESPN it's a case that they already have that subscriber base who may tune in, simply because they have that channel, and they might scrape an extra few pennies out of people desperate to watch this titanic clash.
  • Options
    ariusukariusuk Posts: 13,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I sometimes think for ITV they feel they need to show the BIG northern clubs the the London ones.
    So Round 3 - Man Utd (and replay) and Newcastle
    Round 4 - Man City and Liverpool
    Round 5 last 16, eight games...depending who is in Spurs, Arsenal and Chelsea should be on at least one pick.

Same with Champions League, the North West clubs seem to be on ITV more than the London ones.

Remember that it's not just ITV that favours northern clubs: All broadcasters do it, and for very good reason. People in the north are more likely to watch football.
  • Options
    Mark FMark F Posts: 54,077
    Forum Member
    Luton don't seem to be too happy their tie wasn't picked for TV coverage:

http://www.leightonbuzzardonline.co.uk/sport/football/luton-town-fc/town-s-tv-snub-is-a-massive-error-1-4685698

A bit deluded I feel.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will the Millwall vs. Aston Villa match be shown anywhere at all as it is on Friday? I remember last time the Liverpool v Oldham match on a Friday was shown?
  • Options
    wolvesdavidwolvesdavid Posts: 10,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IC89 wrote: »
    The problem is, are people going to tune in to watch Man Utd-Fulham. The average football fan who doesn't like United must have the intelligence to know it'll be a 1-0 or 2-0 breeze for them, with little in the way of competitiveness or excitement. No-one will watch solely because they might lose, because they won't.

I guess for ESPN it's a case that they already have that subscriber base who may tune in, simply because they have that channel, and they might scrape an extra few pennies out of people desperate to watch this titanic clash.

Actually it is true. Even fans who don't like Manchester United watch their matches in the hope that they lose.

And of course they MIGHT lose.
  • Options
    Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    singhss1 wrote: »
    Will the Millwall vs. Aston Villa match be shown anywhere at all as it is on Friday? I remember last time the Liverpool v Oldham match on a Friday was shown?

Not in the UK it wasn't.
  • Options
    jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not in the UK it wasn't.

Liverpool v Oldham was on ESPN.
  • Options
    Armagideon TimeArmagideon Time Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IC89 wrote: »

And it will probably be, in all likeliness, the only time ESPN will show live an FA Cup tie involving Man Utd.
    jlp95bwfc wrote: »
    Liverpool v Oldham was on ESPN.

Not on ESPN in the UK. Why would they have chosen a Premier League side at home to a League 1 side?