Options

8 year old girl murdered after her mother lets a stranger take her for a burger

Comments

• Options
    asyousayasyousay Posts: 38,838
    Forum Member
    These are the crimes he was charged with, not necessarily what he was convicted of:

3/20/2012-simple assault/battery, fraud-impersonation
    9/15/2009-unlawful impersonation of a public employee, child abuse, obscene telephone calls, extortion
    1/31/2008-child neglect
    10/31/2006-probation violation
    5/23/2003-pawnbroker transaction violation form, theft, burglary to a dwelling, giving false verification of ownership of a pawned item, burglary to curtilage of any other structure
    5/29/2003-worthless check
    12/22/1990-traffic offenses
    11/24/1990-petty theft <$300
    1/24/1998-other non forcible sex offense, incest, exposure
    11/5/1998-fleeing or attempting to elude a police officer, reckless driving, lewd and lascivious behavior, open alcohol container-driver,
    3/13/1998-possession of a controlled substance paraphernalia, tampering with evidence, purchase of cocaine
    10/6/1992-sale, distribution or showing of obscense materials to minors, kidnapping
    6/3/1992-loitering or prowling
    10/18/1991-grand theft, burglary (occupied structure/conveyance).
    10/8/1991-worthless check, contempt of court, unlawful use of service from a tampered meter, theft, (some traffic violations), escape
    9/21/1990-worthless check
    8/15/1990-theft
    no arrest date but disposition date of 3/5/1982-lewd assault on a child

So with all that he should not of been able to be walking the streets. It is shocking he was allowed free to kill .
  • Options
    swaydogswaydog Posts: 5,653
    Forum Member
    asyousay wrote: »
    These are the crimes he was charged with, not necessarily what he was convicted of:

So with all that he should not of been able to be walking the streets. It is shocking he was allowed free to kill .

Yet some would rather use this thread to bash the mother.
  • Options
    j4Rosej4Rose Posts: 5,482
    Forum Member
    swaydog wrote: »

Quite. God forbid she should be criticised for letting her daughter go off with a complete stranger.
  • Options
    MadMoo40MadMoo40 Posts: 1,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swaydog wrote: »

Getting into a car with a complete stranger, along with your 3 children, still deserves some criticism in my opinion.

Even if he hadn't have been a child abuser, he could have still been an armed robber, a rapist, a dangerous driver, a human trafficker, etc. She had no idea what his motives were once he had got the 4 of them in that car.
  • Options
    swaydogswaydog Posts: 5,653
    Forum Member
    j4Rose wrote: »
    Quite. God forbid she should be criticised for letting her daughter go off with a complete stranger.

My point point being, there is a bigger issue in this story
  • Options
    Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

One of the things that is known is that these type of offenders will carry on offending until they are stopped.

Yet there are armies of lawyers, probation officers, the court systems working to ensure that everybody has a second, third, fourth ect. chance.

Had the case been reported that this man had been put away for twenty or more years for any of the offences listed, the same people berating the mother would be berating the courts.
    I've not seen much support over the years for the three strikes ruling.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The headline suggests nothing of the sort.

I think so and i'm not the only one..
    I know how incredibly manipulative these people can be and so I won't accuse the mother of being stupid, especially as the reality wasn't like as first assumed by the headlines.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

22 years of crime, surely there comes a point when someone like that is declared a danger to the public and locked up for life?!
  • Options
    davordavor Posts: 6,874
    Forum Member
    Not only that this monster deserves the capital punishment, but I'd be killing him slowly so he can suffer like this little girl had suffered. As for the mother, I think the women has some problems with trusting people easily, how else would she allow her daughter to go anywhere with a stranger, especially someone who looked like this monster. He really does look like a psychopath. Very sad indeed.
  • Options
    StarryNight1983StarryNight1983 Posts: 4,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That poor little girl, she didnt deserve to die at the hands of that scum bag!!!!!!

I hope the mum gets some counselling & has alot of support from family and friends as im sure she is in a horrible way and not in a good place right now:cry:
  • Options
    asyousayasyousay Posts: 38,838
    Forum Member
    22 years of crime, surely there comes a point when someone like that is declared a danger to the public and locked up for life?!

I agree and that is why I refuse to blame the mum as she made a huge error in judgement but she did not deserve this . And men like this know the game and can sense the venerable and weak and pounce
  • Options
    IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MadMoo40 wrote: »
    I've read the USA news reports, which give out a bit more info. The story the mum has given the press is as follows:

The mum, and her 3 kids were out shopping at a Dollar General store around 7.30pm. The girl wanted a dress but the mum couldn't afford it and told her to put it back. This complete stranger comes up and tells the mum that he'll buy the kids some clothes as his wife has a £100 walmart gift card. The wife isn't actually with him.

They go out to the carpark and wait for the wife to turn up. I think they waited quite a while, then the stranger said that his wife said she'll meet them at the Walmart store .....so the mum happily gets into the van of the stranger, along with her 3 kids, and goes to there (despite saying the guy was creeping her out and she felt uneasy?).

Once there, she starts filling up a trolley as the stranger follows them round the store. He then offers to get them all burgers at the McDonalds at the front of the store, and the 8 year old goes with him to get them. At this point, its around 11pm I think - so she's been with this complete stranger for around 3 hours.

Apparently, 40 minutes later the mum raises the alarm when she goes to the McDonalds and they aren't there.

That is bizarre. I can only presume the mother must have been desperate for the financial help. Does she not have many friends in the area? :(
    duffsdad wrote: »
    While it is very naive I'm not sure how she put her selfishness ahead of her kids. She seems to have trusted who she thought was a good samaritan.

I remember an old family friend who was a policeman saying that people are complacent and dont understand how devious these creeps can be from helping at the scouts, to targeting single mums on dating sites. That a lot of the time it isn't a sudden overwhelming urge they cant control, it's a well thought out plan of lies and deviousness preying on the vulnerable.

Just seen the additional information..that changes things. I cant understand why she would stay with someone who was creeping her out. She was in a public place, she should have asked the store for assistance.

I wondered that when I read it too, however, thinking about it, there have been times in the past when I've had concerns about things, worried about things but then I sit and think about it and figure that its just me being paranoid and I don't really have anything to give my worries any real credence.

Its easy enough to tell yourself life isnt like what you see on TV and all the rest of it, plus if the person is being nice and offering things you could really do with then its fairly plausible to decide to put such feelings to the back of your mind. I might think that way if I were with the person the whole time, although im a bit of a loss as to why she chose to allow the daughter to go with him alone - I suppose by that point they'd been around him for a while and maybe she felt more at ease by then somehow? 40 minutes is a long time though, I can't deny that :eek:

The thing is, ignoring the whole child aspect to it but on a basic, human level, you have to trust people to a certain extent or you'll never have friends or get close to anyone. I think its really sad in this day and age how many stories there are of such cases, although I've heard that when it comes to abuse etc., its alot more likely to happen at home or by people known by the family than some random stranger off the street.
  • Options
    Kei&#333; LineKei&#333; Line Posts: 12,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She didn't deserve it. However she made a huge mistake and placed her child in a situation she should never has been placed in. Just because there was a tragic outcome it does not mean she was not at fault .We do know one any favours if we pretend otherwise

Its like families who leave babies alone in unlocked hotel room open to the public, because they would rather go to the bar with friends to drink. We can't be "nice" and pretend they did nothing wrong, or try to explain it with "everyone does it".
  • Options
    Zizu58Zizu58 Posts: 3,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's actually 36 years at least , his first arrest was a sexually related offence on a child in 1977 !!!

Presumably he was offending ' before then as well .

These people need to be put down after the very first sexual offence on a youngster . The experts agree that they cannot be cured so what do they offer society apart from grief ??
  • Options
    IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zizu58 wrote: »
    It's actually 36 years at least , his first arrest was a sexually related offence on a child in 1977 !!!

Presumably he was offending ' before then as well .

These people need to be put down after the very first sexual offence on a youngster . The experts agree that they cannot be cured so what do they offer society apart from grief ??

I'm totally against the death penalty on principle. Perhaps more research needs to be done on such people, to determine if there is some genetic abnormality or something that could lead to some form of screening or prevention? maybe im overly optimistic though, who knows.
  • Options
    davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zizu58 wrote: »
    Wise words , sadly that's what it's come to these days even though many would have us believe that our streets are completely safe and no worse than 50 years ago.

Streets may not be "completely safe", but for all the press attention they get, the numbers of incidents where strangers abduct and murder children are so low they barely register in the statistics (just as they always did - look at how fascinating we still find Ian Brady, who committed his crimes 50 years ago). The mother in this case is probably going to end up more notorious than the far greater number of parents who have actually killed their own children.
  • Options
    academiaacademia Posts: 18,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    paul2307 wrote: »
    It could have been avoided if the mother wasn't so stupid , if she hadn't let her go off with him the girl would still be alive

I'm not trying to defend the offender but the mother has to bear her fair share of the blame

Does she? Paedophiles are manipulative and cunning - look at the bnumber of years he's been fooling the authorities. he should have been locked up years ago.
  • Options
    paul2307paul2307 Posts: 8,079
    Forum Member
    academia wrote: »
    Does she? Paedophiles are manipulative and cunning - look at the bnumber of years he's been fooling the authorities. he should have been locked up years ago.

I did say I wasn't trying to defend him but what sort of person allows her 8 tear old daughter to go off with a complete stranger , the mother isn't blameless in this
  • Options
    brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't disagree. It honestly beggars belief that you'd let your child go off with someone you'd met an hour earlier.
    According to the Huffington Post:
    At one point, he said he was heading to the store's McDonald's. The mother says she did not realize her daughter was going with him.

"He asked if I wanted anything and I heard Cherish say 'cheeseburger.' I thought she stayed near me. I didn't realize she went with him. I didn't let her go with him like people think," the mother told the station.
    This makes the mother seem far less culpable. She didn't agree with her child leaving with a stranger; the man lured the child away without the mother knowing.
    paul2307 wrote: »
    It must take a really sick and twisted mind to turn the murder of an 8 year old girl into the chance to bash the Daily Mail , I feel sorry for them
    When you read anything sensationalistic in The Daily Mail, I find it's a good idea to pick out some key names and search for related reports in other papers. That will often provide a better picture of what happened. The Daily Mail really does deserve criticism for the manner of its reporting. And it matters, because wrong reporting gives a distorted view of the world and the threats within it.
  • Options
    ffawkesffawkes Posts: 4,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    brangdon wrote: »
    This makes the mother seem far less culpable.

Too late for the character assassination she received here, though.
  • Options
    nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But will saying "I didn't know she had gone" really help?

Won't that just change the accusations to "Why wasn't she keeping an eye on her" as well as her other three children that is.
  • Options
    brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nanscombe wrote: »
    Won't that just change the accusations to "Why wasn't she keeping an eye on her" as well as her other three children that is.
    Well, it makes it similar to what happened to IzzyS:
    IzzyS wrote: »
    I remember when I was young I got lost in a busy shop and my mum hadn't noticed I'd disappeared for a while, which was a bit scary for me at the time since I was young but it was obviously an accident, her mind was on other things for a short while.
    With the difference that this child had been in the man's company for 3 hours or so, hence he was more or less accepted by her mother, and that going with him to help carry the food seemed innocuous and not the same, to the child, as going off with a stranger. Losing track of their children momentarily has happened to most parents. Usually there isn't a predator there trying to make it happen and take advantage of it. As far as I can tell, the mother noticed quite quickly, and reacted quickly, but it was too late.
  • Options
    len112len112 Posts: 4,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tend not to go into pound shops .
  • Options
    MadMoo40MadMoo40 Posts: 1,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently her biological father had been fighting for custody for years as he feared for her safety in her mother's custody.
    "To everyone I am trying to stay politically correct and not express my true feelings of how our great system caused this. I spent many years in the court presenting issues and being ignored and told I was trying to hurt the mother. Now the truth of the great mother is out. It was at the cost of my child's life. RIP young lady. my nick name for her. My wife has tried to keep me off and not comment but the pain is too great and to know this could have been avoided. I gave the legal system all the signs for over many years." [sic]

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/topstories/article/317595/566/Father-of-Cherish-speaks-through-Facebook

Not sure if this is true, but I've seen people commenting in other media that he is in the military and would pay child maintenance direct from his salary, so no reason why the mother was needing cash from a stranger to buy a dress. She also had a live in boyfriend.

I guess it will all come out in the end.

Absolutely tragic, even more heart-breaking as she should have been safely in her dad's company today on holiday.
  • Options
    16caerhos16caerhos Posts: 2,533
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glowbot wrote: »
    The mother is a victim too, duh she had her child stolen and killed.

How is this different to saying a drunk woman who dressed provocatively who was then raped; was stupid and should live with the consequences?

No, you do not 'invite' child kidnap and murder any more than rape.

None of which would have happened had she not been a complete moron...